Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I decided to keep my Tib and do work to it. I'm still going to, but mildly. I figure if something goes wrong I'm out of a ride. So I'm gonna buy a second car. Im looking at a 90-92 Supra and I'm gonna do a swap. I can get the 1JZ motor for $600 and a 2JZ for $1,500. I know a lot about the 2JZ but very little about the 1JZ except that it has a lot of torque. Its rated at 280hp and 330ft-lb. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
well for strarters, call it a mkIII...sounds better than 90-92 supra....try a supra forum, i used to be on i-supra.com...hell they even have a section in the forum just for you mkiii guys wanted to do a 1jzgte swap...try that, any other help pm me.....

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SRKNFSD said:
well for strarters, call it a mkIII...sounds better than 90-92 supra....try a supra forum, i used to be on i-supra.com...hell they even have a section in the forum just for you mkiii guys wanted to do a 1jzgte swap...try that, any other help pm me.....
Thanks, I'll look into one right now

·
Registered
194 Posts
well the 1jz's are a 2.5l I6 vs 2jz's 3.0 I6 but i've seen it to be a popular swap to put a 1jz in the mklll. but if you want torque go for the 1jz cause the mklll body is pretty heavy. when my buddy had his it was harder for me to try to drift that compared to a 240sx. those are awesome cars though. good luck.

·
Retired Staff
4,860 Posts
Woot.. I'd love an MKIII, and I'd definitely throw the 1JZ in there.

·
Registered
180 Posts
woh wait, a 2jz for 1,500. Where the hell are you getting that from. Most places are asking +2,000 for just the motor, without harness and ecu.

Have fun with it tho, i absoultely love mine even tho my 7M finally fell victem to the BHG, the motor is out and im going to rebuild it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brian's_Dark_Water said:
woh wait, a 2jz for 1,500. Where the hell are you getting that from. Most places are asking +2,000 for just the motor, without harness and ecu.

Have fun with it tho, i absoultely love mine even tho my 7M finally fell victem to the BHG, the motor is out and im going to rebuild it.
Heres a 2JZ-GTE with the auto trans for $1,600 from Tiger Japanese

https://www.tigerjapanese.com/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=127

my dad agreed to help me pay for the actual car itself since he made me buy my tiburon against my will and made me buy it auto.

I know the 1JZ is an easy drop in and its even better with the 2JZ heads (i think) making it a 1.5JZ. I was wondering if its even worth it to go 1JZ or to just rebuild the 7m. What is the better route? but on the other hand i can get the 1JZ for $600 from Tiger Japanese.

https://www.tigerjapanese.com/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=106

I'm, just doing my research before i get the car which will be February or March. A lot of Supra Enthusiasts tell me the 7m is a peice of s***.

·
and his new kimchi coupe
6,247 Posts
1.5JZ FTW!

1JZ head on a 2JZ block. 3 liters, head that flows better and allows you to rev to 8000. And its a JZ series, so no worrying about whether or not the stock 7M develops knock or gets a BHG.

Btw, the reason he wants a 90-92 supra (should be 89-92), if I'm correct here, is that they facelifted the MKIII for the '89 year with new tails, new front end, and a couple other minor differences. The pre-89's are butt-ugly anyway.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TNT said:
1.5JZ FTW!

1JZ head on a 2JZ block. 3 liters, head that flows better and allows you to rev to 8000. And its a JZ series, so no worrying about whether or not the stock 7M develops knock or gets a BHG.

Btw, the reason he wants a 90-92 supra (should be 89-92), if I'm correct here, is that they facelifted the MKIII for the '89 year with new tails, new front end, and a couple other minor differences. The pre-89's are butt-ugly anyway.
youre dead on about the facelift. They are gorgeous. isnt it harder to put the 2JZ block in there and doesnt it cost a hell of a lot more? I'd love to do it but its almost a $10,000 project to go 2JZ in a MKIII.

·
Sam:Moderator of the Dead
2,220 Posts
TNT said:
1.5JZ FTW!

I still need to come back down when they guy who's house we went to(can't remember his name) gets his running, and take a ride. :p

·
Registered
180 Posts
from what i have heard and read the reason the 2j is hard to drop in is because you would need to either upgrade to single turbo or cut out/dent in some of the frame. I believe it has clearance issues with the passanger side strut tower.

If money was not a problem i would get a 2j and drop it in mine with the stock twins, but i would hate to cut up any part of the body

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brian's_Dark_Water said:
from what i have heard and read the reason the 2j is hard to drop in is because you would need to either upgrade to single turbo or cut out/dent in some of the frame. I believe it has clearance issues with the passanger side strut tower.

If money was not a problem i would get a 2j and drop it in mine with the stock twins, but i would hate to cut up any part of the body
So your gonna keep 7m and just rebuild what you have? i wouldnt mind doing that, but i hear bad things about the 7m, thats why id rather go 1jz. im trying to find a supra in the chicago area with really high mileage or a BHG so i can have it over the winter and drop the motor in for spring. I figure if its broken i can get it way cheaper.

·
Registered
180 Posts
well it depends, i havent ordered parts yet. After taking everything apart im going to total up all of what would need and see how much it costs. And if the cost is close to a 1j swap then thats what im gonna go ahead and do. But before putting in the 1j i would still throw a mhg and arps on just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
whats mhg and arps?

·
Registered
180 Posts
metal head gasket and ARP makes high stregnth rods, bolts, etc.

Upgrading to a Metal head gasket and ARP head studs is what most people do after an blown headgasket.

I would just do it before putting in a 1j because i know i would be hard on it and probably blow it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
You can pick up the 1JZ on tiger japanese for 600. i posted the link up top. What did u pay for ur supra? im lookin to buy one for around 2 grand. you think i can pik one up for that much?

·
Registered
180 Posts
yeah, i bought mine for 1800, but i talked the guy down from 2500, because i had, and still has some fugly rims, 145xxx miles, no sterio or head unit, autozone fog lights, the turn signal wont working and some other things i pointed out just to try to get the price down.

but i still love it because its the green color with 89+ tail lights, spoiler, and lip.

man, now you got me lookin at dropping in the 1j

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
at least you have one bro, Ive been busting my @$$ working at Toys R Us for a measly $7.25 an hour. High school loads me with hw and i cant work during the week. Hopefully my uncle can loan me a grand and i can just pay him back over time (hes rich). 1JZ can rev up to 10k i hear too. Is it a high torque motor?

·
Registered
55 Posts
The 7m is a good motor, but the head gasket is the weakest link . Rebuild with a metal one ..your good to go up to about 500 hp .

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what are the pros and cons of each. The supra forums have nothin; you gotta dig forever for info cuz theyre so unorganized. I was just lookin to see if the 2JZ or the 1JZ was better but i guess its 1 JZ cause of all the crap you gotta do to get the 2JZ in there. But other people are saying stick with the 7m. Theres a guy pushing close to 600whp on a 7m

1 - 20 of 26 Posts