Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

201 - 220 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Re: DIY: BCM Turn Signal Fix

how do you know which relay to replace? my left is the one that went out.

from memory i believe there was two relays, and i dont think i saw labels. but the last time i tried to fix it, it was 6 months ago

·
Administrator
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #203

how do you know which relay to replace? my left is the one that went out.

from memory i believe there was two relays, and i dont think i saw labels. but the last time i tried to fix it, it was 6 months ago
Did you read the DIY? See the first page, 2nd post for my DIY steps and pictures.

·
Registered
295 Posts

Did you read the DIY? See the first page, 2nd post for my DIY steps and pictures.
i did, i was assuming that one relay was for each turn signal, but after reading up i see they are not.

i tried soldering in a new one, but it didnt fix it, now i have no left turn signal, and a good right turn signal.

time to try it again today.

·
Registered
295 Posts

got it this time... haha i guess the better tools did the job. i recommend buying a desoldering iron to everyone, get most of the solder up with that, then use a soldering iron to melt the rest while gently prying on the relay(only do this if you absolutely cannot get it out normally).

be careful not to damage the board while prying, i got it out and the new one in, in around 15 mins this time as opposed to 2 hours last time

good luck all

·
Registered
2 Posts

Looking For Any Suggestions Of What To Try Next?

I have a 2003 Tiburon SE. My dash lights & turn signals will turn on randomly by themselves when the car is completely off no key in ignition. I did the relay replacement that was suggested, my car worked PERFECT for a day... only the next day to walk outside and see the lights back on again. When I stick the key in the ignition my dash lights stay on and once in a while will turn on and off. When I go to turn my night low beams on sometimes it shuts off and restarts my radio & dash lights.. I got my battery & alternator checked out & both are fine! I only replaced the one relay that was suggested.. Should I have replaced all 3? Any suggestions? This car is driving my nuts, everything seems to be going wrong with it in the past 2 months.

·
Registered
62 Posts

This was a great DIY guide. Thanks again. Worked like a charm and saved me a whole bunch of money.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks this was an easy diy.Could not have done this without your pictures,saved a great deal of money.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Dear fellow friends. Realized that the pic and pdf manual is not available. appreciate if someone could send it to me or repost

Thank you

·
Registered
430 Posts

I would just like to say "you are welcome." to everyone who my diy has helped. It took me a while to get the diy written up. Im glad i was able to help some of my fellow tib owners save a few bucks. My pics were taken down,but i still have them on my computer. The other member did a ok job copying my diy using his pics so a repost of my pics is not needed.

·
Administrator
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #212

The other member did a ok job copying my diy using his pics so a repost of my pics is not needed.
The other member didn't copy your DIY. The other member made a new DIY with more written explanations, more details, and more pictures to address some shortcomings (very little) of the original DIY. :3_chubby:

Regardless, the credit must be given to you for being the first to come up with this solution that has tremendously helped the NT community and saved thousands of dollars collectively. :3_pimatyo

·
Registered
6 Posts

I used this DIY in 2009 and no problems since then (knock on wood!). Mine got stuck when going left. I did a road trip from Boston to Southern Virginia using hand signals! I did use a TV repair guy. $65 bucks. Inflation and bad bargaining I guess. LOL

·
Registered
430 Posts

The other member didn't copy your DIY. The other member made a new DIY with more written explanations, more details, and more pictures to address some shortcomings (very little) of the original DIY. :3_chubby:

Regardless, the credit must be given to you for being the first to come up with this solution that has tremendously helped the NT community and saved thousands of dollars collectively. :3_pimatyo
copy as in redo. not as in cheat or rip off. i havent been on here for a while and didnt notice that the pics were taken down. i was going to put them back up,but like i said the other member already took care of it. no need for multiple diys for the same thing. thanx for the credit tho. i did spend sometime finding out relay positions etc. i never had a member who used my pics tell me there was something they didnt understand,but being a lamborghini/audi tech i sometimes forget to put things in ways non techs can understand. nice that this diy is still being used.

·
Registered
7 Posts

scroll down the page in this thread to the second post and the pictures are available along with a full write up
i'm afraid i could only see pictures of frogs (imageshack) together with unregistered domain ... error messages :(

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thank you very much for this excellent DIY. I performed the fix over the weekend and everything now works again.

You are the best...

·
Registered
530 Posts

Since you have the electrical board exposed to do the relay swap it would be a good idea to just touch up each of the cold solder points (meaning to heat up each spot to de solidify the solder and let it set up again) to ensure good contacts to make every circuit complete, so you won't have the issues that I am reading about how some things work and others don't . Also another point to point out, ensure that you put the correct value fuse back in the same slots they came out of and ensure each are good, also examine the connector wires that go into the connector plugs to ensure there is no corrosion and are good before plugging them back in. If you take care and concentrate on every aspect of working on the electrical as almost every circuit for the car is protected through this BCM it should go back together and work perfectly.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I just saved a bunch of money by Doing it myself! lol, but really my right turn signal is stuck in the on position and i literally just got done putting in an order for 2 relays from Mouser electronics, which totaled a whopping 8 whole dollars. which is way better than my previous estimates....and if it works I'll save a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
12 Posts

It seems as if noone I know around my little town has a de-soldering gun. So I'm wondering if it is ok for them to use a regular soldering gun because they are worried that they will heat the board up too much and possibly ruin something in the circuit. And they mentioned something about hot and cold solder...any ideas? I'm fairly new to this as my 03 tib is my first car.

201 - 220 of 395 Posts