Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

41 - 60 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Re: DIY: BCM Turn Signal Fix

thank you so much for this DIY i just did it works great.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Hey All,

So my right turn signal is frozen on and im about to try this DIY. I just wanted to confirm something. Is this DIY (More specifically the relay that will be changed) a fix for either the left or right turn signal? Or does it work for both?

Thanks,

CQ

·
Registered
5 Posts

I'm sorry to say that I already ordered the BCM before reading this thread. I ordered the BCM from John Nance (great guy) for $750. I'll go ahead and install the new BCM and keep the old one as a spare. I figure I can modify the original BCM relay mounting design so that the relay is easily removable and replaceable. I saw in one of these posts that your keyless remote needs to be programmed to the replacement BCM. Can anyone confirm that? And if so, is reprogramming the keyless remote something I can do myself? Can someone provide the instructions? Or, is this something only a dealer can perform?

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts

sorry M8 I don't know the answer to that question, but it seems logical that if u get a new BCM, you would have to reprogram your remotes. If you search on our forums I am willing to bet you can find the answer on the how to. I think there might even be a DIY.

·
Registered
894 Posts

If you are not comfortable doing it yourself just print off the DIY and ask a friend or relative to give you a hand. It's really easy to fix. Any local tv repair shop should be able to de-solder the relay for you. Should cost you less the $40 to buy the relay and get it soldered.

·
Registered
7 Posts

the BCM has got 2 relays (one for side...) I can say to change all 2 relays, with a little practic u can spend 10 minutes for unsolder the old and sold the new, usually when one relay go out... the internal circuit could be open or closed su u'll see the turn signal still on or totally off. (if it still on u have to take off the turn light signal fuse from the fuse box)! I changed the relays on bcm just one year ago and them still work so good :D

·
Registered
2 Posts

I just want to THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! for this information. After ordering the relay ($4 + shipping) from Mouser three months ago, I finally got over my fears that this would blow the whole thing up and did it! I found a TV repair shop to do the soldering ($10), and I, a middle aged woman, removed and replaced the BCM on an '03 Tiburon with no problems. (No, it's not my car-it's my daughter's.) I was also worried about the part number being different, but it was fine, just as someone had assured in an earlier post. I'm still jumping up and down!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hey man, my right turn signal froze the other day and ozkrow saved me a BUNCH of money! I just want to tell ozkrow THANK YOU and GOD BLESS you for putting this DIY up here for us! It only took me about 1 hr to replace the faulty relay in the BCM. Thanks ! ! ! :3_winkthu FO REAL... THANKS

·
Registered
894 Posts

Does't surprise me about the extra shop charges for a audio shop. Most TV places will pro-rate your labour because of the low volume they have. It only cost me $23 at the tv place but the audio shop wanted 3x as much.
Great DIY btw. I fixed mine last May without a problem since.

·
Administrator
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
==DIY: BCM Turn-Signal Relay Fix==

Here is my version of the BCM turn-signal relay replacement DIY. More info, more pics, more powah!! :3_winkthu

**Who needs this DIY?**

For those people who are having erratic problems with their turn-signals--whether it be the left blinkers, right blinkers, or both.

Some symptoms you might experience that indicate a problem with the BCM turn-signal relay:

(1) When you use your right blinkers, the blinkers get stuck to the "On" position and doesn't blink.

(2) When you use your left blinkers, the blinkers get stuck to the "On" position and doesn't blink.

(3) When using your blinkers, your blinkers' clicking rate starts off normally then begins to blink faster and you've already tried installing new turn-signal light bulbs.

(4) Your blinker--left or right--blinks faster than the OEM rate. This can happen either all the time or sporadically.

(5) When you lock down your car with your keyless remote, the turn signal lights blink once then DON'T turn off but remains stuck on. This may occur every time or once in a while.

(6) The blinker's clicking sound level, on one side only or both sides, has become quieter than the OEM sound level.

**What you can do about this problem.**

(1) Go to the dealer/junkyard and buy a new BCM module. At the dealer, the price range seems to be between $750 to $1300. Buying a used BCM module from the junkyard, obviously, will be cheaper if you can find one in good condition. With a junkyard, though, it's a hit-or-miss.

When you install a BCM, you'll have to have the dealer reprogram your keyless remote/alarm to the new BCM. This service costs ~$50.00.

At my Hyundai dealer where I have a hook-up with the parts manager, I was quoted $540 flat for the BCM module. So if there is anyone who doesn't want to go through the trouble of doing the DIY but want to buy a brand-new BCM module for a good price, PM me/contact me and I'll hook you up.

(2) Do the DIY outlined below. It is a pain in the butt and it's really awkward taking out the BCM module, but it's well worth it since you save HUNDREDS of dollars.

**DIY Parts Needed**

(1) Screwdriver
(2) 10-mm socket & ratchet
(3) Pliers (optional. It will help to have a plier if you run into some stubborn connectors that won't come loose easily. I had to use the plier for one of the BCM connectors).
(4) If you decide to desolder the old relay yourself and solder in the new one, then you'll need a soldering iron and/or a desoldering iron, desoldering bulb and/or braid, and solder.

If you DON'T want to do the soldering work yourself, like me, then you can just take off the BCM module from your car and take it to a professional for the installation of the relay. In my case, I went to a local mom-and-pop TV/radio repair shop and got the relay soldered on for only $10.00 flat. During one of my price-quote hunting sprees, I got a quote from a speaker shop and they wanted $75.00!! Rip-off!!

(5) Replacement BCM turn-signal relay. You can buy one from Mouser electronics. It's only like ~$3.50. The item number is: NEC EP2-3N1ST. Here is a couple picture of the relay.

And here is the link to Mouser's site where you can order the replacement relay:
http://www.mouser.com/search/Refine.aspx?Ne=1447464+254016&Ntt=*NEC*+*EP23N1ST*&Msb=0&Mkw=NEC+EP2-3N1ST+&N=1323038

**Installation Steps**

[1] Disconnect your negative battery terminal. 10-mm wrench is used.

[2] Pull out the plastic fuse cover.

[3] Remove the two screws that hold down the plastic cover underneath the steering wheel then pull off the cover.

With the cover off, it will look like this:

[4] Remove the three 10-mm bolts and one 10-mm nut that holds down the metal knee protection brace.

With knee brace off, it will look like this.

[5] Now, take off all six connectors on the front of the BCM box.

Once all off, it will look like this.

[6] Now, take off the 2 10-mm bolts and 1 screw that hold down the BCM box as indicated in the picture below.

[7] The BCM box is now loose but it won't come off yet because some connectors behind the BCM box is still holding on to it. To reach those connectors, you first slide out the BCM box by moving/maneuvering the BCM box around until you slide it off the two slots as indicated in the picture below.

[8] Once you got the BCM box free from its slots and you have pulled it out, now you can get to removing the 6 connectors on the back of the BCM box.

[9] Once all the connectors on the front and back of the BCM box has been pulled out, the BCM box is now free from the car. The next step is to pull out all the fuses on the front of the BCM box as well as all the relays on the back of the BCM box.

Here are all the fuses that you need to take off on the front of the BCM box.

Here are all the relays that you need to take off on the backside of the BCM box.

[10] With all the fuses and relays pulled off the BCM box, you can now pry the lid open by undoing the clips that hold the BCM box together.

[11] Here is a picture of the BCM box open with the turn-signal relay marked for you. If you want to desolder out the relay yourself, then you'll have to pull out the PCB, turn it over, then desolder the joints behind the turn-signal relay. After that, you plug in the new replacement relay and solder the joints for a tight connection.

In my case, I decided to have a professional solder in my new replacement relay. He charged me $10.00 flat but I ended up giving him a $5.00 tip for a job well-done.

Here is a picture of my BCM PCB with the new relay installed.

[12] Now, you just have to put everything back in reverse order. Thankfully, putting the BCM box back in its place is much easier and less time-consuming than taking it out. At least, that was how it was for me as a couple of connectors on the BCM box were really, really stubborn and wouldn't pull out unless I used a plier and a large flat-tip screwdriver. My finger tips were KILLING me from pulling out all those connectors.

[13] With the BCM box, all of its connectors, knee brace, plastic trim, and fuse cover all neatly placed back, reconnect your negative battery terminal and start up your engine.

If this relay replacement fixed your turn-signal-related ailments, then AWESOME!! You just saved hundreds of dollars!!

If you're still having turn-signal-related problems, then you just might have to buy a BCM module.

Good luck!!!

·
Administrator
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

I have EXCELLENT news!!!!!

Today, I had the new replacement NEC EP2-3N1ST relay soldered on to my BCM and my right turn-signal blinkers are WORKING PERFECTLY once again!! Yay!!!!

Here is a picture of the finished product!!

I still don't know whether it was my new HIDs with a relay that caused the turn-signal relay on the BCM to get damaged or if it was just a mere coincidence.

After much thought and looking back, I do have an idea as to why my turn-signal relay has been slowly deteriorating. There were at least 3-4 times while modding my car that I forgot to connect the turn-signal power connectors before I connected my battery and started my car. Maybe these mistakes slowly caused the deteriorating function of my BCM turn-signal relay throughout the months.

But...all I know is that the BCM relay DIY has helped me and my problem has now been FIXED!!

FYI, I called my dealer today to get a price quote on a brand-new BCM module and the part manager told me he would hook it up for me for only $540.00 out-the-door! So, if there is anyone who is too afraid or not mechanically-inclined to tear apart your BCM and have the turn-signal relay swapped, let me know and I'll hook you up!! It's much cheaper than the average price range of $750-$1300 some people have been quoted.

So happy!!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re: ==DIY: BCM Turn-Signal Relay Fix==

Hey optimum,

Thank you for writing this up. This is fantastic. I have already ordered the replacement relay, and I hope I can fix this like you did. My right turn signal has been frozen on for months and it is so annoying. They quoted me $1050 for a new BCM. This is more than worth a shot.

Thanks,
CQ

·
Registered
7,659 Posts

haha David, always contributing to this forum with reviews, DIY, and meets! Quite the fine member :3_chubby:

·
Registered
1,796 Posts

Awesome DIY. I'm sure I will need it in the future.

·
Registered
237 Posts

so umm.. is relay 2 the relay for both right and left signals?
i was thinking no, because my left worked, but not my right.
i have the BCM out and the car no workie.

so, my question is.. if my right was constantly on, i remove and replace relay #2, they both will work again?

·
Administrator
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

so umm.. is relay 2 the relay for both right and left signals?
i was thinking no, because my left worked, but not my right.
i have the BCM out and the car no workie.

so, my question is.. if my right was constantly on, i remove and replace relay #2, they both will work again?
The relay that I pointed to in the picture controls both the left and right turn-signals.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Phew, after much effort, I've fixed my issue. It wasn't easy by any means. Those cables plugged into the BCM were HARD to remove. As were some of the chips on the back after I had removed the BCM from the car and before I could pry it open.

Anyways, now I am noticing another issue:
My clock and audio system are not turning on.
Nor are the power locks working for the car.
I haven't checked to see what else is not working, but there might be other things.
Any ideas why this would happen? I had noticed this after my battery died (since the left blinker was stuck on) and before I pulled the BCM out (although I had already opened the bottom of the dash to have a look around).

·
Administrator
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #60

Phew, after much effort, I've fixed my issue. It wasn't easy by any means. Those cables plugged into the BCM were HARD to remove. As were some of the chips on the back after I had removed the BCM from the car and before I could pry it open.

Anyways, now I am noticing another issue:
My clock and audio system are not turning on.
Nor are the power locks working for the car.
I haven't checked to see what else is not working, but there might be other things.
Any ideas why this would happen? I had noticed this after my battery died (since the left blinker was stuck on) and before I pulled the BCM out (although I had already opened the bottom of the dash to have a look around).
Did you remember to plug back in the red 10A fuse on the front of the BCM box? (The one encased in a yellow plastic cover) If you did, check that fuse, it might have blown.

41 - 60 of 395 Posts