Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

__*** BCM Turn Signal Fix ***__

DIY: 
385K views 403 replies 239 participants last post by  kylerey92 
#1 · (Edited)
**Who needs this DIY?**

For those people who are having erratic problems with their turn-signals--whether it be the left blinkers, right blinkers, or both.

Some symptoms you might experience that indicate a problem with the BCM turn-signal relay:

(1) When you use your right blinkers, the blinkers get stuck to the "On" position and doesn't blink.

(2) When you use your left blinkers, the blinkers get stuck to the "On" position and doesn't blink.

(3) When using your blinkers, your blinkers' clicking rate starts off normally then begins to blink faster and you've already tried installing new turn-signal light bulbs.

(4) Your blinker--left or right--blinks faster than the OEM rate. This can happen either all the time or sporadically.

(5) When you lock down your car with your keyless remote, the turn signal lights blink once then DON'T turn off but remains stuck on. This may occur every time or once in a while.

(6) The blinker's clicking sound level, on one side only or both sides, has become quieter than the OEM sound level.

**What you can do about this problem.**

(1) Go to the dealer/junkyard and buy a new BCM module. At the dealer, the price range seems to be between $750 to $1300. Buying a used BCM module from the junkyard, obviously, will be cheaper if you can find one in good condition. With a junkyard, though, it's a hit-or-miss.

When you install a BCM, you'll have to have the dealer reprogram your keyless remote/alarm to the new BCM. This service costs ~$50.00.

At my Hyundai dealer where I have a hook-up with the parts manager, I was quoted $540 flat for the BCM module. So if there is anyone who doesn't want to go through the trouble of doing the DIY but want to buy a brand-new BCM module for a good price, PM me/contact me and I'll hook you up.

(2) Do the DIY outlined below. It is a pain in the butt and it's really awkward taking out the BCM module, but it's well worth it since you save HUNDREDS of dollars.

**DIY Parts Needed**

(1) Screwdriver
(2) 10-mm socket & ratchet
(3) Pliers (optional. It will help to have a plier if you run into some stubborn connectors that won't come loose easily. I had to use the plier for one of the BCM connectors).
(4) If you decide to desolder the old relay yourself and solder in the new one, then you'll need a soldering iron and/or a desoldering iron, desoldering bulb and/or braid, and solder.

If you DON'T want to do the soldering work yourself, like me, then you can just take off the BCM module from your car and take it to a professional for the installation of the relay. In my case, I went to a local mom-and-pop TV/radio repair shop and got the relay soldered on for only $10.00 flat. During one of my price-quote hunting sprees, I got a quote from a speaker shop and they wanted $75.00!! Rip-off!!

(5) Replacement BCM turn-signal relay. You can buy one from Mouser electronics. It's only like ~$3.50. The item number is: NEC EP2-3N1ST. Here is a couple picture of the relay.

And here is the link to Mouser's site where you can order the replacement relay:
http://www.mouser.com/search/Refine...*EP23N1ST*&Msb=0&Mkw=NEC+EP2-3N1ST+&N=1323038

**Installation Steps**

[1] Disconnect your negative battery terminal. 10-mm wrench is used.

[2] Pull out the plastic fuse cover.

[3] Remove the two screws that hold down the plastic cover underneath the steering wheel then pull off the cover.

With the cover off, it will look like this:

[4] Remove the three 10-mm bolts and one 10-mm nut that holds down the metal knee protection brace.

With knee brace off, it will look like this.

[5] Now, take off all six connectors on the front of the BCM box.

Once all off, it will look like this.

[6] Now, take off the 2 10-mm bolts and 1 screw that hold down the BCM box as indicated in the picture below.

[7] The BCM box is now loose but it won't come off yet because some connectors behind the BCM box is still holding on to it. To reach those connectors, you first slide out the BCM box by moving/maneuvering the BCM box around until you slide it off the two slots.

[8] Once you got the BCM box free from its slots and you have pulled it out, now you can get to removing the 6 connectors on the back of the BCM box.

[9] Once all the connectors on the front and back of the BCM box has been pulled out, the BCM box is now free from the car. The next step is to pull out all the fuses on the front of the BCM box as well as all the relays on the back of the BCM box.

Here are all the fuses that you need to take off on the front of the BCM box.

Here are all the relays that you need to take off on the backside of the BCM box.

[10] With all the fuses and relays pulled off the BCM box, you can now pry the lid open by undoing the clips that hold the BCM box together.

[11] Here is a picture of the BCM box open with the turn-signal relay marked for you. If you want to desolder out the relay yourself, then you'll have to pull out the PCB, turn it over, then desolder the joints behind the turn-signal relay. After that, you plug in the new replacement relay and solder the joints for a tight connection.

In my case, I decided to have a professional solder in my new replacement relay. He charged me $10.00 flat but I ended up giving him a $5.00 tip for a job well-done.

Here is a picture of my BCM PCB with the new relay installed.

[12] Now, you just have to put everything back in reverse order. Thankfully, putting the BCM box back in its place is much easier and less time-consuming than taking it out. At least, that was how it was for me as a couple of connectors on the BCM box were really, really stubborn and wouldn't pull out unless I used a plier and a large flat-tip screwdriver. My finger tips were KILLING me from pulling out all those connectors.

[13] With the BCM box, all of its connectors, knee brace, plastic trim, and fuse cover all neatly placed back, reconnect your negative battery terminal and start up your engine.

If this relay replacement fixed your turn-signal-related ailments, then AWESOME!! You just saved hundreds of dollars!!

If you're still having turn-signal-related problems, then you just might have to buy a BCM module.

Good luck!!!

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#5 ·
Re: DIY: BCM Turn Signal Fix

woot!! thx bro!
saved me $550!!
cost me 50bux for tools and relay
now just to wait for the 26th to come around << when i'll recieve the relay
so i can try this myself! yay thanks again

This post has been deleted
#28 ·

board works fine, i put it back in.
i'll just continue to wave my arms at people i guess :)
lol i had to do the same thing in my old Elantra, with my case tho both left and right went out on me... people in my area didn't even know what the arm signals meant (turning left arm full out pointing left, turning right arm straight up) got pulled over for it once to, lol

#11 ·

So you can't just order a new flasher from Hyundai?? and it's soldered to the friggen circuit board, not just plugged in so this isn't really a user serviceable part??

Mine just started sticking in left turn today.

it isnt the turn signal that is the problem... it is the relay on the bcm that controls the turn signal

#15 · (Edited)

If you just do this mod there will be no need to do any reprogramming??

I just ordered mine ($4) after inquiring at my dealer how much a new BCM would be. About $760.
i did mine and no reprogramming was needed!
anyway,i tried and repaired the oem relay,because the new one would'nt come here before a month passed from the order. so i said why not .i cut the case of it open and i cleaned the inner contacts with a razor blade.(it had something beetween the contacts that forced them to remain closed so the current would go through all the time).then i checked that they work properly,i glued the case back and put everything together.i got the new relay now,but i am not changing it cause the repaired one still works fine.(3 months now)!!!!

#18 ·

I just wanted to to touch on one more thing. I did mine last night and....

1) it worked!! :3_winkthu

2)Getting the old one un-soldered from the board was a friggen SOB, took me about 1.5 hrs. You have to be super, super, super careful. You pull to hard on the relay because your impatient and pull some trace of the PCB you might be screwed. I went very careful and used some solder wik and rosin-flux and got the solder completely out of the holes so it would pull off the board easy. Well as good as I could.

3) the part numbers on the old relay don't match the new relay. Don't wory it still works, just an updated part number. The old relay is EP2-3L1T, the new one is EP2-3N1ST.

#19 ·

I just wanted to to touch on one more thing. I did mine last night and....

1) it worked!! :3_winkthu

2)Getting the old one un-soldered from the board was a friggen SOB, took me about 1.5 hrs. You have to be super, super, super careful. You pull to hard on the relay because your impatient and pull some trace of the PCB you might be screwed. I went very careful and used some solder wik and rosin-flux and got the solder completely out of the holes so it would pull off the board easy. Well as good as I could.

3) the part numbers on the old relay don't match the new relay. Don't wory it still works, just an updated part number. The old relay is EP2-3L1T, the new one is EP2-3N1ST.
i used a de-soldering station i have in my company and it took me 2 min.(i am an electrical engineer)if you have the tools its easy.if you don't it can be a disaster.but you can always take the PCB to a pro to do it for you instead anyway,good job man.(aint that feeling you made it great?:3_chubby: )

#23 ·

This is four months after I did the DIY and it's still working!
Must be one of the most usefull DIY's on this forum

Thanks again!

VBR
Vic

GLAD this diy is still helping people...you have to work the relay out. move it side to side with the soldering iron on the solder and it should work its way out. you have to keep the solder hot. if you dont it will harden up and keep the relay stuck to the board.

#22 ·

So after about 3.5 hours of messing with this thing, I have just about as much solder removed as I possibly can and this stupid relay still won't detach itself from my over-priced circuit board. I have decided I am doing something wrong and am giving up for now, until I can seek professional help...DOH!

#24 ·

This DIY is pretty amazing and has probably saved several thousands of dollars by now. After finishing (finally), my right turn signal is now unfrozen and works again...my left blinker, however, does not. It doesn't do anything, not even the indicator on the gauge panel works. I seem to be an expert at breaking one thing while fixing another. Any ideas of what I may have broken? Thanks all.

#276 ·

This DIY is pretty amazing and has probably saved several thousands of dollars by now. After finishing (finally), my right turn signal is now unfrozen and works again...my left blinker, however, does not. It doesn't do anything, not even the indicator on the gauge panel works. I seem to be an expert at breaking one thing while fixing another. Any ideas of what I may have broken? Thanks all.
I just used this DIY two days ago. I have am 03 Red huyndai Tiburon bought it used. manual 6 speed . i love this car even with all its problems, My left turn signal wasnt working correctly its speed would change intermitently. then finally it got stuck on for good and wouldnt even make a clicking sound. I had known about this DIY for sometime but had not had the time but finally decided to do it and its not that hard! only cost me about 35 bucks. 20 for a soldering iron with tips . 5 for a soldering braid. and 10 for some silver solder. Any one with some common sense can do this fix. Not sure about taking the relay off for some people thats a little advanced.. but even some people can do it with out taking it to the t.v. repair man. it took me 3 hours of desoldering as i have never done it before but i figured it out and the the actual solding took only a min. before i knew it i was turning left again. and right. and had working 4 ways. im curious to see what other DIY threads there are. THanks to everyone in this thread and im proud this is my first post. Let the tibby live on

#25 ·

did you mess a lot with the old relay to take it off?cause you might made a damage to the pcb...if not,and hopefully you solder the new one ok,check that you 've putted everything back and also all the plugs on the bcm...good luck!

#26 ·

:3_winkthu hi all, tnx so much for this great DIY, I recived the relays from Mouser
in just 4 days (I live in Sicily) and I am going to replace them. after that I'll go to the hyundai service with the burned relay!!! Hey men I saved € 900 (Euro) almost $ 1.300 USD. The relay could be easly reparate but it isn't a good thing to do in the BCM so better to replace them 2 .
I'll say if it will work again (I am sure yes):3_winkthu :3_pimatyo

#27 ·

My left signal died today and I knew right away it was the BCM but didnt know it could be fixed so easy. Thanks for the great DIY you saved my a$$. Im getting a new house and 700-900 bucks is more than I can fork out.

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)

Awwwwww man this sucks,i was at work getting ready to goto lunch,start my car and my turn signals start buggin out, and i'm like what the hell is going on now. i love the car but damn i think the 03 is the worst of them all. its an electrical nightmare. changed my door acuators,and window motors at least once in each door. i'm buggin out and now this,its got me pissed. i've never had such bad luck,and not so sure i can fix this myself. does any other model have this problem. can u actually buy the whole board instead of replacing the little gismo. someone help me out here please.

#30 ·

Awwwwww man this **** sucks ***,i was at work getting ready to goto lunch,start my car and my ****ing turn signals start buggin out, and i'm like what the hell is going on now. i love the car but damn i think the 03 is the worst of them all. its an electrical nightmare. changed my door acuators,and window motors at least once in each door. i'm buggin out and now this,its got me pissed. i've never had such bad luck,and not so sure i can fix this **** myself. does any other model have this problem. can u actually buy the whole board instead of replacing the little gismo. someone help me out here please.
yes you can buy it but it is expensive man.my advise is this..calm down first,then order the relay,take out the whole bcm,take it to a pro to replace the relay(make sure he replaces the right one. )then put everything back and you 're good to go..don't worry about thngs like that.everything can be fixed easily...

#31 ·

hey guys listen, i spoke with HYUNDAI MOTORS OF AMERICA, they said its not a re-call on the BCM for all the '03's cause they never had any complaints about this situation,but all of us who have had a problem with it or replaced it would call up and tell the lady i spoke with there stories about this then she will make sure it becomes a re-call cause so many of us are having this problem. i wanna look out for everyone on here and make sure noone goes through this in the future. The one thing i told her was "You can't predict when this thing will go,if it goes b4 your warrenty or after it, either way there has to be something we can do. its gotta be a defect in the 03 cause i'm not the only 1 with this problem,theres so many others who have had this happen to them also. Lets all get together on this and take a stand, i have the # to this lady and her ext# so if everyone wants to make sure tht if this thing ever goes again,they won't ever have to pay $600-$800 again. We gotta take care of this situation,its costing all of us lots of money. I'm looking out for everyone,not just the ones who have there warrenty still.

# is 1-800-633-5151, ext# 54219.let her know that Tom sent you. Her name is KELLI!

#33 ·

Woohoo! It worked like a charm! Only took me about an hour total to remove the BCM and re-install it. Overall, a VERY easy project to do yourself.

Thanks a bunch ozkrow for this DIY. I ended up getting the relay changed at a tv repair shop for $31. Total cost for everything including shipping of the relay was $57. You just saved me a ton of money that I didn't have. :3_winkthu

Working turn signals FTW!

#35 ·

So I did this last night and it did not fix the problem. Right works perfect just like it did. Left doest stick anymore but it clicks really fast and no light (tail, front, or inside cabin indicater) light up. Suggestions? I read somewhere else you may have to change both of them. True?

#36 ·

Is the relay that is on the first page the same for both turn signals.....

#40 ·

Question, I have an 04 tiburon that started with the Right Blinker sticking, then now i have no turn signals at all. Would this fix the same thing?. Dealer here in Texas wants 1042 for the part the BCM i think it's ridiculous, so im willing to try the fix but it's my only means of transportation. so i dont want to mess up anything else. So wow looks like the Clutch and This are common issues, im so dissapointed on Hyundai now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.