Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My a/c doesnt work it never did in my 03 v6 since i bought it. Anyone know of a kit with a dead pulley or another solution so i can rip it all out for power and weight reduction? What size belt will i have to run?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Probably just need to get your AC recharged. Taking your AC out will not make that big of a difference. Probably not even noticable. I would say maybe 2whp if that. But if you are really wanting to do it, I think you could just remove your A.C pump and buy a shorter belt. Not sure on size. If you do that though you might as well remove the piping and condensor and what not as well since it will be useless and you will shave another couple pounds.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
its not worth the hassle. Just leave it like it is or recharge it. The only way it would make sense if you were making the tib a track only car.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
its not worth the hassle. Just leave it like it is or recharge it. The only way it would make sense if you were making the tib a track only car.
To me it was well worth it. i ripped my A/C compressor and lines out when i went stg 2. My a/c died a few months after i got it anyway. I figured the belt was running on enough pulleys as it is. lol j/k. But seriously though a much cleaner look in my opinion with the lines removed also. The hp gained wont be that noticable though. Maybe 5whp at most...Maybe

Oh and there is a belt for the V6 with no A/C. Let me find it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^Thanks that'd be sick..a/c is pointless id rather sweat than have 5whp less it doesnt hold a charge there are lines all over the engine bay that would be removed, id be much happier putting my working compressor on ebay and using the money on something that's goin to work like pulleys while im in there pulling the a/c out.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
^^Thanks that'd be sick..a/c is pointless id rather sweat than have 5whp less it doesnt hold a charge there are lines all over the engine bay that would be removed, id be much happier putting my working compressor on ebay and using the money on something that's goin to work like pulleys while im in there pulling the a/c out.
yea i don't use my A/C either even though it works.. . .. i would much rather have the windows down and the sunroof open. I have used it like twice since i bought the car haha.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Exactly.
And no offense to anyone but it bothers me when people make statments like "somethings not worth it" or "it wouldnt make sense to do this" ect. If you've never done it or you dont understand the reason why somethings done then it you shouldnt comment on the subject. Once again im not calling anyone out.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Exactly.
And no offense to anyone but it bothers me when people make statments like "somethings not worth it" or "it wouldnt make sense to do this" ect. If you've never done it or you dont understand the reason why somethings done then it you shouldnt comment on the subject. Once again im not calling anyone out.
I was just saying it's not worth it performance/ weight reduction wise. Unless you are looking for every bit of weight reduction you can find. Not sure if you were reffering to me, i just wanted to clear things up so i didn't look like an A**. I have actually done this before in my 96 Ford probe when i did a motor swap in it. Deffinately did look cleaner, but no difference power wise. Well noticable difference anyway. lol

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I was just saying it's not worth it performance/ weight reduction wise. Unless you are looking for every bit of weight reduction you can find. Not sure if you were reffering to me, i just wanted to clear things up so i didn't look like an A**. I have actually done this before in my 96 Ford probe when i did a motor swap in it. Deffinately did look cleaner, but no difference power wise. Well noticable difference anyway. lol
Lmao! nah man i wasnt referring to u or anyone else in particular. Just making a general statment. It just bothers me when people make statements on whats beneficial when they have no knowledge on the subject.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Lmao! nah man i wasnt referring to u or anyone else in particular. Just making a general statment. It just bothers me when people make statements on whats beneficial when they have no knowledge on the subject.
lol yea i understand that for sure. Just making sure no one took my post wrong, that's all.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
well, i have found my AC to be pretty much a necessecity a couple of times, so it staying it. I rarely use it, but the increase in power for me is definitely not worth removing it.

Try driving 200 miles in 80+ and humid and arriving at your destination without needing a shower without AC. Yeah, one of the few times I've used it. That and when I'm in a suit in the summer, pretty much need it. But I agree, whenever I don't have a need for it, windows and sunroof open is the way to go.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Id kill for A/C especially right now in summer in the desert...

literally i would kill for ac lol

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
well, i have found my AC to be pretty much a necessecity a couple of times, so it staying it. I rarely use it, but the increase in power for me is definitely not worth removing it.

Try driving 200 miles in 80+ and humid and arriving at your destination without needing a shower without AC. Yeah, one of the few times I've used it. That and when I'm in a suit in the summer, pretty much need it. But I agree, whenever I don't have a need for it, windows and sunroof open is the way to go.
While it may give u a few extra ponies thats not the only reason why people remove it. Its more of a combination of the three
1. removing dead weight - if it doesnt work, then its pointless. (unless u pay to fix it)
2. a few extra hp - yea it does but its pretty much un noticable
3. cleans up the engine bay - more space and looks even cleaner with the lines removed. (they are also pointless if there is no compressor.)

·
Read Only
0 Posts
you wont see any extra ponies from removing it. Why would removing a free-spinning pulley (when it's off) give you any hp gain? When it's on is a different story, but just removing it will not net you power, because it isn't robbing you of power when you aren't using it. You can argue that the engine has to spin the compressor, but when it's turned off, the compressor is completely free-spinning and would take no power.

Weight wise is a different story. If you dont use it, that would probably get you 50-60 pounds lighter.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I'll keep my A/C in Florida, thanks, lol.

95 degrees and humid as **** makes for ****** windows down driving.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts