Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, it's me again. :3_smile: I thought of a couple more questions, as I'm trying to make up my mind whether to buy a Tiburon or a Civic. I know....I know....you all are probably gonna tell me to go with the Tib, right? :3_wink:

Anywho....while doing some research I've heard a few cons regarding the Tib. But I suppose that most cars have at least one or two.

1) Blind spots. Some people have said there is a bad blind spot on the sides. Is this true?

2) Lack of room inside the car. I've heard people talk about how small it is inside the car, and that if you are a tall person there is little to no head room. My hubby will be driving the car as well, and he is 6'1". Will he have a problem? And what about the back seats? Is there actually enough room for someone to sit back there? It appears to be VERY confined.

Thanks again for your help. I love the looks of the Tib so much, but I really need to weigh all the pros and cons.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
TibDreamer said:
1) Blind spots. Some people have said there is a bad blind spot on the sides. Is this true?
Okay, personally I drove 4door cars prior to my Tib, and I found the blindspots to be HUGE at first. Probably due to the tiny windows in the back sides. However, i quickly got used to using these little windows as well as all my mirrors and I dont find I have any larger blindspots than I did in my other cars.

2) Lack of room inside the car. I've heard people talk about how small it is inside the car, and that if you are a tall person there is little to no head room. My hubby will be driving the car as well, and he is 6'1". Will he have a problem? And what about the back seats? Is there actually enough room for someone to sit back there? It appears to be VERY confined.
Well, I myself am 6'1" and I have no problems fitting in either of the fron seats with plenty of legroom to spare.....as for the rear..... you can only stuff small kids or midgets back there with any degree of comfort. I cant even fathom me @ 6'1" sitting back there without a kink in my neck while kissing my knees... i hope you get my point. :3_smile:

And finally.........here it comes...... GET THE TIBBY!!! :3_zoefzoe

-J

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
There's plenty of members here in the 6ft. plus range and they have no problems driving their Tib. The front seats slide back really far so plenty of leg room and it's not like driving a truck so you don't sit straight up. I've had two car seats in the back at the same time and while I did have to move my seat forward it was workable. Now for long drives it might not be the best in the afore mentioned situation but if needed you can do it. I've also had two grown adults in the back and leg room is ok but the hatch being at the angle it is their isn't a lot of head room for adults, kids on the other hand are fine. Remember it's a sports car not a sedan so your gonna have to remember that some things will be a compromise.
Have you gone out and test drove one yet? You and your hubby should go do that and see what you think. Honda ................. ewwwwww:3_pukey:

·
Registered
898 Posts
I had a horrible time with blind spots but thats just me. I had to turn my head to see if i could change lanes. As for the back seat. I've had to sit there a couple of times drunk with a buddy of mine coming home from a party. I had to like curl myself into a ball, which is kind of hard being 5'11" 220lbs. But I've sat there by myself as well. Its definitely not comfortable for a full grown adult

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
herbtea said:
Honda ................. ewwwwww:3_pukey:
LOL! :2_mrgreen I figured someone would say that! I've never owned a Honda before, but I do actually like the Civic. Sorry! :3_puh2: But I'll put your minds at rest when I say that I do like the Tiburon more.

No, I haven't gone to test drive one as of yet. Right now I'm just looking around and trying to obtain as much info as possible regarding both cars. I already own a "sports car", so it's not as if I really need to buy another one. The whole purpose of me buying another car was so that I can have something more practical and economical for daily use. But I can't seem to get myself away from loving anything that looks sporty. And when I spotted the Tib, I instantly fell in love. Compared to the Tib, I think the Civic looks alot more plain. But once again, I really need to weigh all the pros and the cons when it comes to my needs.

I plan to test drive both the Tib and the Civic when I'm actually ready to buy one (which should be within the next month or two). I can't wait! :3_smile:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Yeah, just have to check them both out and see what you think. The worst blind spot (for me) is the passenger side because the thick C-pillar gets in the way. The mirrors are well-placed though, so they help quite a bit. The back seat is comparable to any sport compact out there. I rode in my buddy's Integra the other day and it's almost exactly the same. I imagine the Civic Si is similar as well. We put my daughter back there all the time (carseat) and for stuff like that or kids it works just fine.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I had to turn my head to see if i could change lanes.
Aren't you supposed to "check your blind spots" anyways....lol :)

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
All cars have blind spots, and if you arrange your mirrors right, there the blind spot isn't that bad at all. Me personally, on the passenger side, if I can't see the car in the sideview mirror, a quick glance over and the front of the car is almost always right through the window. Drivers side, If I can't see you in the sideview, I can see you in the rearview 95% of the time. A quick glance and I'll see ya again. And I always check my blind spots before changing lanes.

I'm also 6'2" No probs fitting, and I have a sunroof and that reduces head space. I've driven my friends around in my car, all of us 6' + and shoved one of em in the back seat before. Its not spacious, but if you have to cram someone back there, you can. I've had 4 people in that car, all of decent height. I had to slide up a little, but not that much of a prob.

I never drove the civiv, nor do i know much about it, but definitely test drive both. Either way, you'll experience buyers remorse.... lol

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
im 6'3, and if i put my seat straight up and down ... yes i will hit my head, but come on, no one drives like that, the way i have it i have pleanty of room and i am very comfortable, that was my biggest worry after driving the car the first time was the size, you just gotta get a good seat position and he will be fine.

ive fit my buddy who is 6'2 180lbs in the back seat from san diego to Vegas, which is a little over 300 miles, and back too. when i had a back seat (i converted mine to a 2 seater now) i could realitavly comfortably fit 1 tall person in the back if they sat somewhat sideways with their feet behind the driver and actually sat behind the passanger. if you plan on driving 4 ppl around all the time, tib wont work too well unless they are very small.

ive never noticed a problem with blind spots, but i tend to drive faster then the average bear so i always know where the traffic is because i just passed them =)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just bought the 06 SE - I love it :) I drove my brother's civic around before and the tiburon is more fun and better looking.

My boyfriend is 6' and 200 pounds - he fits in the car fine. I'd say it depends on how big the guy is - a skinny 6'1 will be easier to fit than a big guy at 6'1 because of the sport seats. Regarding the back seat, when I took the tib for a test drive from the dealer, the sales guy was around 6' and way over 200 pounds. He fit in the back seat but looked like he was forced to lean sideways. LOL he was pretty squished :) We moved the front seats forward for him.

·
Registered
31 Posts
6'3, 220lbs I fit in mine just fine. Like mentioned above the back seat is not for adults, one day I'll convert mine to a two seater...

I haven't noticed a problem with the blind spots and I'm always weaving in and out of traffic on the interstate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts