Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted in the audio thread, but no one ever really reads that and I know a bunch of you guys really know your stuff when it comes to audio.

Here's what I got: (Its all random stuff that I got from a buddy of mine)
-Rockford Fosgate Component set FNQ1614
-2 speakers, 2 tweeters, 2 crossovers. 100 watt rms. 4 ohm.
- 2 MBQuart crossovers
- Kenwood Amp KAC8101D
- 1000 watt.
- Power Output at 2 Ohms, at 14.4V (100Hz, 0.5% THD): 400 Watts x 1
- Power Output at 4 Ohms, at 14.4V (20Hz - 200Hz, 0.5% THD): 200 Watts x 1
-Orion XTR 10 inch subs
- 500watts

So now, in order to start hooking all this stuff up I got some questions. How the hell do I do it? lol

No, pretty much I can see on the amp the battery in line, which needs a 14 v current Then a GND screw, which i assume right now is the grounding line.
Whats 'P Con'? continuous power? Don't need it if thats what it is.

Now, Can I hook up the speakers and the subs to this one amp or should I jump the speakers off of the factory amp?

If I jump the speakers from the factory amp, I just splice into the power lines and run the appropriate +/- to the speakers? Would I ignore the crossover in this situation?

If I use the amp I have to power everything, how do I make sure i don't blow the speakers by them receiving too much power? Can I make the subs take more by using a resistor or something on the speaker lines? The amp only has two hookups for speaker out. It also has two RCA outputs. I run the speaker output from the amp to the crossover then on to the appropriate speakers. Do I run the subs with the RCA out? Or splice them in prior to the crossover? In fact, can I even use this amp on the subs?

Any help or suggestions would be great. This is stuff i want to learn more about for sure, and I might as well start with stuff I have lying around.

And I got some questions on the MBQuart crossover, but that can wait right now.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
how many channels is that amp? 2? 4? more? if its a 2 channel i would just use to to power the subs and then run the speakers off the factory wiring.. wiring up the full range speakers to the amps is not really a job for an amature, believe me, LOL.

and with the amp you need 2 power wires, 1 for constant hot (battery line) and the other for remote turn off, which has to be wired to the blue or blue/white wire on the h/u harness.. so that the amp turns on and off with the h/u. then you need the ground wire (-) you can screw that to any part of the frame. then you need rca cables from the h/u to the amp, 1 pair if youre doing subs..

edit: ok i think that amp is a class d monoblock amp, if it only has one speaker output then its only for subs..

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, looking at everything I think i'm just gonna jump the new speakers off the factory... it might be underpowered, but everything will run and backfill with some sound... i can get a new amp down the line.

I'm honestly not sure about channels. It is a mono amp, but there are 4 screws, 2+, 2- that say speaker output. There is also the RCA output, one black(L), one red(R).

Should I use the RCA or Speaker connections then? or does it not matter?

Thanks for the info man. I'm sure I can do it, I just need a little guidance.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
ah, yes, thats a subwoofer amp alright. it wont work very well with regular speakers.

youre getting your inputs and outputs confused i think.. the rca's should run from the output on the h/u to the input on the amp. the speaker wires should run from the speakeroutput on the amp to the subs... are there 2 sets of rca connections on the amp? you want to be sure youre connecting the rcas to the input on the amp. the second set (rca output) are for adding another amp...

now for crossovers, lol.. does the amp have a built in crossover? it should... most do.. you should be able to run speaker wire straight to the + and - on the subs.

once you have everything running, just play with the x-over and level controls using different kinds of music at the loudest volume possible before the door speakers start distorting until you find the sound you like. you shouldnt have any worries about blowing out those subs.. if theyre 500watt rms then that amp wont ever come close to topping them out..

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, it definitely has RCA outputs, but you said that would be for another amp. So I guess I just run the wires straight to the subs. No prob. The crossovers I have are for the speakers, not the subs anyway, so no concern there.

Looks like the plan is usse factory amp for the added component speakers and run all new to the amp and subs.

Awesome, thanks for answering my questions... hopefully I'll have it all done after thanksgiving.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
yeah, just cut the wires off the old speakers and splice the new ones in..

·
Registered
192 Posts
hey man if ya need some help connectiing everythin up let mw kno and i could come out and help ya if ya havent already did it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts