Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
now i read the sticky from the proper PCV set up on our cars as im getting ready to install my oil catch can and no one could agree on what to do! and one big thing was there "what to do about vacum for us turbo charged guys", we still wana have proper pcv with out pressurizing the crank case or the heads for that matter...well theres a little trick that an old school dragger raccer tought to me when i built my first small block chevy engine, when ii was like 17ish for us manual trans guys the only other real source of adjustable vacum is the transmission bellhousing because of the spinning fly wheel andpressure plate assembly that will create a positeve displacement of air! ti has to pull the air from somewhere and is vented for the purpose of that sole reason, now putting 2 and 2 together, he told me when he was draggin back in the 70s he used to set up his PCV into his ventalation of his trans that would give him enough vacum to properly ventalate his 455 buick, although his engine only ran for about 3 minutes at a time and 9.90 in the quater mile making his engine running runn time 3minutes and 9.9 seconds
for us manual guys who are turbo, than i think there is a trick here we might use as im not a real big into this and this seems like a logical and extremely good idea to install my catch can in line with the PCV system and use the vacum to pull the pcv through my catch can, what do u think for all u rockstars out there, or am just being a retard

now i know i should have posted to the sticky but sene no has posted ther sense march i thought maybee some one else might wana have a shot at this

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
now i read the sticky from the proper PCV set up on our cars as im getting ready to install my oil catch can and no one could agree on what to do! and one big thing was there "what to do about vacum for us turbo charged guys", we still wana have proper pcv with out pressurizing the crank case or the heads for that matter...well theres a little trick that an old school dragger raccer tought to me when i built my first small block chevy engine, when ii was like 17ish for us manual trans guys the only other real source of adjustable vacum is the transmission bellhousing because of the spinning fly wheel andpressure plate assembly that will create a positeve displacement of air! ti has to pull the air from somewhere and is vented for the purpose of that sole reason, now putting 2 and 2 together, he told me when he was draggin back in the 70s he used to set up his PCV into his ventalation of his trans that would give him enough vacum to properly ventalate his 455 buick, although his engine only ran for about 3 minutes at a time and 9.90 in the quater mile making his engine running runn time 3minutes and 9.9 seconds
for us manual guys who are turbo, than i think there is a trick here we might use as im not a real big into this and this seems like a logical and extremely good idea to install my catch can in line with the PCV system and use the vacum to pull the pcv through my catch can, what do u think for all u rockstars out there, or am just being a retard

now i know i should have posted to the sticky but sene no has posted ther sense march i thought maybee some one else might wana have a shot at this
Yours is newer than mine, so I think your valve covers are different.

Roughly tho.... (my experience with 8psi or less) is that the stock pcv will stop the boost (mostly) from entering your crankcase, so I leave it in stock location.

Next up is you need a catch can (not vented) in between the pcv and the intake. Keeps the oil vapor out of the intake but still vacuums out the crackcase.

Finally you need another baffled valve cover venting point so that when the engine is pulling vacuum fresh, filtered air can be sucked thru the crackcase AND will allow the tiny bit of boost pressure that enters the crackcase to get out so it does not build internal pressure.

So on mine, I have pcv to hose to one side of catch can to other side of catch can to hose to intake manifold on the front valve cover. On the rear cover I have hose to filter open to air. (I use a metal-housed fuel filter for the filter. Not the prettiest, but it's hidden!)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yours is newer than mine, so I think your valve covers are different.

Roughly tho.... (my experience with 8psi or less) is that the stock pcv will stop the boost (mostly) from entering your crankcase, so I leave it in stock location.

Next up is you need a catch can (not vented) in between the pcv and the intake. Keeps the oil vapor out of the intake but still vacuums out the crackcase.

Finally you need another baffled valve cover venting point so that when the engine is pulling vacuum fresh, filtered air can be sucked thru the crackcase AND will allow the tiny bit of boost pressure that enters the crackcase to get out so it does not build internal pressure.

So on mine, I have pcv to hose to one side of catch can to other side of catch can to hose to intake manifold on the front valve cover. On the rear cover I have hose to filter open to air. (I use a metal-housed fuel filter for the filter. Not the prettiest, but it's hidden!)
i have an 03" so im not shure how much newer mine could be, :3_yes:and yeah my catch can is sealed so i dont have a worry there i was just curious if that was theseable in a turbo charged set up as mine would be, i mean if it can be done painlessly than i think i will do it, cap off my PCV port or use it as my boosst port, and connect the pcv to the lower intake line then than run that through thecatch can than my catch can can to the trans mission vent,then vent of my transmission to air, i know there was an idea to put a fuel filter in the line and change when ever u changed your oil for added protection!, likee i said this is all in theroy and just idea!:3_worship:3_winkthu what do u think! or am i forgetting something

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
i have an 03" so im not shure how much newer mine could be, :3_yes:and yeah my catch can is sealed so i dont have a worry there i was just curious if that was theseable in a turbo charged set up as mine would be, i mean if it can be done painlessly than i think i will do it, cap off my PCV port or use it as my boosst port, and connect the pcv to the lower intake line then than run that through thecatch can than my catch can can to the trans mission vent,then vent of my transmission to air, i know there was an idea to put a fuel filter in the line and change when ever u changed your oil for added protection!, likee i said this is all in theroy and just idea!:3_worship:3_winkthu what do u think! or am i forgetting something
oops. I looked at the nose of your Tib and thought '05-'06!

If the bellhousing area actually creates a vacuum, you should be set.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
it should but im not a 100 % shure, thats what im told! and thats bumper is courtesy of my X girlfriends brother, harranged me about letting him drive it when i bought it in 05, well making a long story short he got a little big for his briches and when around a hairpin turn at around 70ish and slid it sideways around then into a small tree ripped the front 03 stock bumper off !! lol what a douche!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts