Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A messed up clutch

Yeah well I finally got around to replacing the Tibby's Clutch. Let me tell you, PAIN IN THE A$$. Then again you all probably know this. Well anyway, a couple of friends and I got together and went at it(fixing the car that is) haha. 6 hours later we have the tranny seperated from the engine and the clutch pulled. We were only stopped tonight because we don't have the need torques screw to get the flywheel out. So we're takin a break and havin a couple of drinks. We'll continue in the morning. Here are some pics, you'll see how truely screwed up my clutch is. The clutch itself was down to the rivets. Mind you I had to drive my car to work because I had no other way to get there. So yeah things look pretty bad.

Here's a shot of the Engine being held up by one jack and the tranny by the other. I'm overseas and our hobby shops don't have an engine lift, so we had to do the ghetto way. Well it's worked quite well so far.

The pressure plate was covered in this VERY fine black powder.The powder only gets worse.

Here's the clutch. It's jagged around the edges and worn on some parts.

Both the pressure plate and flywheel were overheated and warped.

And here's the bell housing. Ummm yeah you can see how much black powder from clutch got in there. When we took the tranny off it kinda fell all over the place. Jason was even wearing it on his overalls.

Well that's it for now. I'll post more pics tomorrow when the job is done. Thanks TC for being my on-call tiburon doctor! Without you the tranny would still be stuck in there! And good luck to all those tibby owners with screwed clutches. Have fun! hahahaha

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Uh what clutch and flywheel are you going with and where id you get them from and how much are you paying... Mien is going out badly

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i got the stage two spec clutch and fidanza flywheel...i got the flywheel off ebay and the clutch from importshark

·
Registered
33 Posts
lemme know how that shifts...if its tight or loose or hard to shift...lalalala...etc...you get the pic...lolol

·
Registered
843 Posts
Mines been slipping for a while now. Ive been meaning to change it but I dont have the 800-1000 dollars to buy a new clutch set-up. Im attending UTI now here in Orlando and every 3 weeks they have open lab, people can sign up and bring there cars into the shop and use everything. It would be so much easier if we could use a lift but the catch is you only have 6 hours to use the shop. I have about 8 friends willing to give me there weekend to help me change it. I doubt its a 6 hours job though even with so many hands. I think I'll have to end up changing it my self in my driveway back home.

All in all how much time is it going to take you from tear down to assembly ?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Orlean said:
Mines been slipping for a while now. Ive been meaning to change it but I dont have the 800-1000 dollars to buy a new clutch set-up. Im attending UTI now here in Orlando and every 3 weeks they have open lab, people can sign up and bring there cars into the shop and use everything. It would be so much easier if we could use a lift but the catch is you only have 6 hours to use the shop. I have about 8 friends willing to give me there weekend to help me change it. I doubt its a 6 hours job though even with so many hands. I think I'll have to end up changing it my self in my driveway back home.

All in all how much time is it going to take you from tear down to assembly ?
haha this isn't an 8 person job and sure isn't a 6 hour job either...there are to many things that have to be done in order to even get to the tranny...changing it back home would be better...here's our time line..

Thursday- loosened bolts and prepared

Friday- Started at 130pm. Finally got the the tranny seperated and ready for the new clutch and were done for the night at 9 something at night. Had to stop because you need a 55mm Torques Screw Bit.

Saturday- Started at 2pm and Stopped at 1230am. We put the new clutch and flywheel in and got the tranny hooked back up. The sucker is a pain in the a$$ to line back up when it's not out of the engine bay.

Sunday-Took the day off. Needed two bolts for the headers, and no one was open so we could get the bolts.

Monday- 11am-3pm finishing up with the y pipe, and pulleys.

You're not doing as much as me. But The clutch and flywheel will take long enough. And it would definitely easier if you can get the engine out. But you still have quite a job a head of you.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
modelo420 said:
lemme know how that shifts...if its tight or loose or hard to shift...lalalala...etc...you get the pic...lolol
not at all hard to shift....the clutch is very touchy though...there is no gradual take off with the stage two...it's release and you're gone...haha....i have to find that happy medium

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah don't pop the clutch or do any funny business until after 400 miles, don't take it over 5000rpm's till the 400 miles is over, and when driving rec it to 1500 rpm's then release the clutch

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i've been driving to my buddy jason's house the past three nights so the 400 miles won't take long to get

1 - 10 of 10 Posts