Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am wondering which set up is better for the V6 Tib engine using supercharger.....

normal compression ratio with low-mid boost ...or low c/r with high boost....

I am not a fan of lag...but i dont know what happen to the V6 Tib engine once i low c/r with low compression piston ....cos' this is my first time to touch V6 engine....

which one are those supercharger guys using....

cheers

·
Registered
50 Posts
boiling_water said:
I am wondering which set up is better for the V6 Tib engine using supercharger.....

normal compression ratio with low-mid boost ...or low c/r with high boost....

I am not a fan of lag...but i dont know what happen to the V6 Tib engine once i low c/r with low compression piston ....cos' this is my first time to touch V6 engine....

which one are those supercharger guys using....

cheers

Around 8.5:1 should be about good for a supercharger. A forced induction high compression engine is not ideal for making a lot of power. It's normally used in turbo applications on small displacement engines (~1.5l or less) where the off-boost power is very low. Since the V6 has enough torque and displacement to make it scoot pretty good in N/A form, you dont have to worry about it being a dog just lugging around from stoplight to stoplight.

Because you want to get the supercharger you will never really be driving off-boost like a turbo, so driveability isn't so much of an issue anyway.

·
Registered
888 Posts
quickbrick said:
Around 8.5:1 should be about good for a supercharger. A forced induction high compression engine is not ideal for making a lot of power. It's normally used in turbo applications on small displacement engines (~1.5l or less) where the off-boost power is very low. Since the V6 has enough torque and displacement to make it scoot pretty good in N/A form, you dont have to worry about it being a dog just lugging around from stoplight to stoplight.

Because you want to get the supercharger you will never really be driving off-boost like a turbo, so driveability isn't so much of an issue anyway.
Lol, hate to tell you bro but you got your opening statements backwards. Lower compression is better for turbo cars, 8.5:1 is a decent turbo compression... most of the supercharged guys on here are using 9.5:1 or 8.8:1 compression in their sc'd cars.... but it's generally agreed that around 9:1 is a good compression for supercharged applications on the v6 models because the heat generated in the intake stream is not as high and therefore not as prone to pre-detonation (because hot air will have a tendency to detonate more frequenly than a nice cool intake stream). Most of the guys i know running turbo i4's (and this is not Tib specific) are running like 8.5:1 and 8:1 compression in their turbo cars. Sounds like you know more about cams than you do pistons....

·
Registered
898 Posts
Supercharger= No lag. Lag is associated with most turbo setup's and centrifugal superchargers, not roots type. As for using lower compression pistons, do this if you are going to run high boost. You might lkose a little power because of the lower c/r but u can easily get it back and go even further because you have forged lower compression pistons.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
PWNED! Not really, but 9:1 sounds pretty good. Thats probably what ill drop in. this thread has helped me, thx lol.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Boostology said:
Lol, hate to tell you bro but you got your opening statements backwards. Lower compression is better for turbo cars, 8.5:1 is a decent turbo compression... most of the supercharged guys on here are using 9.5:1 or 8.8:1 compression in their sc'd cars.... but it's generally agreed that around 9:1 is a good compression for supercharged applications on the v6 models because the heat generated in the intake stream is not as high and therefore not as prone to pre-detonation (because hot air will have a tendency to detonate more frequenly than a nice cool intake stream). Most of the guys i know running turbo i4's (and this is not Tib specific) are running like 8.5:1 and 8:1 compression in their turbo cars. Sounds like you know more about cams than you do pistons....
Read my post again, I think you misinterpreted what I wrote. I didn't mean to say all turbo cars should have high compression. I meant high compression is used on low displacement turbo engines to help off-boost driveability. I was thinking specifically of engines like the Honda b16 or turbocharged 1.3l A series plants in the old mini cooper.

I know my way around pistons as well as cams, but if you want to educate me, be my guest :3_smile:

·
Registered
888 Posts
quickbrick said:
Read my post again, I think you misinterpreted what I wrote. I didn't mean to say all turbo cars should have high compression. I meant high compression is used on low displacement turbo engines to help off-boost driveability. I was thinking specifically of engines like the Honda b16 or turbocharged 1.3l A series plants in the old mini cooper.

I know my way around pistons as well as cams, but if you want to educate me, be my guest :3_smile:

Ah... well i wont claim to be an expert on hondas and minis, but twas tibs we were speaking of in this particular case although i could have misread what you said i guess... I dont know that i've ever heard of anyone using high compression (i.e. 10:1 or higher) to help driveability unless you mean because they lose a ton of power down low if they're not boosting with like 8:1 which would suck if you were like, trying to merge or something... More in the realm of what you were saying? In either event most of the guys running lower compression 4 cylinder motors (i.e. small displacement) are just using smaller turbos that dont have really much of any lag so their compression being lower doesnt make a difference.... or spooling a bigger turbo with nitrous... lol.

·
Registered
888 Posts
DarkSouledSRT said:
Supercharger= No lag. Lag is associated with most turbo setup's and centrifugal superchargers, not roots type. As for using lower compression pistons, do this if you are going to run high boost. You might lkose a little power because of the lower c/r but u can easily get it back and go even further because you have forged lower compression pistons.

I think you are a little misguided re: the centri setup... i didnt have lag at all when i was running my sds, and notwithstanding that all it takes is an oversized crank pulley if you want to shift the power band farther forward...

·
Registered
888 Posts
boiling_water said:
So..for a superchager.....what's the C/R you guys sugguest to use?

If you have a v6 i dont see you needing anything lower than 9:1. I can supply you with 9.5:1 if you want.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Boostology said:
Ah... well i wont claim to be an expert on hondas and minis, but twas tibs we were speaking of in this particular case although i could have misread what you said i guess... I dont know that i've ever heard of anyone using high compression (i.e. 10:1 or higher) to help driveability unless you mean because they lose a ton of power down low if they're not boosting with like 8:1 which would suck if you were like, trying to merge or something... More in the realm of what you were saying? In either event most of the guys running lower compression 4 cylinder motors (i.e. small displacement) are just using smaller turbos that dont have really much of any lag so their compression being lower doesnt make a difference.... or spooling a bigger turbo with nitrous... lol.
Exactly, when you're puttering around town going from stoplight to stoplight trying to save a little bit of gas, slightly higher compression can make that experience easier. I drove my friends beater turbo volvo with milled pistons that put the static compression square in the low 7's. That thing was a complete dog before the turbo kicked like a mule at about 3500rpm, not an entirely enjoyable car to drive, but fun for a while.

I've helped build and tune a few 2.3l Volvo 4 bangers where I used TPS vs. RPM boost control (only starts making boost when you feed in more than, say, 20% throttle below ~3000rpm) which gets rid of the annoying habit small turbos have of spooling ultra quick and making boost when you dont want it - Like cruising on the highway; I dont want boost if i roll on a little bit of throttle to gain a couple of yards on someone in my blind spot.

·
Registered
888 Posts
quickbrick said:
Exactly, when you're puttering around town going from stoplight to stoplight trying to save a little bit of gas, slightly higher compression can make that experience easier. I drove my friends beater turbo volvo with milled pistons that put the static compression square in the low 7's. That thing was a complete dog before the turbo kicked like a mule at about 3500rpm, not an entirely enjoyable car to drive, but fun for a while.

I've helped build and tune a few 2.3l Volvo 4 bangers where I used TPS vs. RPM boost control (only starts making boost when you feed in more than, say, 20% throttle below ~3000rpm) which gets rid of the annoying habit small turbos have of spooling ultra quick and making boost when you dont want it - Like cruising on the highway; I dont want boost if i roll on a little bit of throttle to gain a couple of yards on someone in my blind spot.
That's the beauty of turbos mate... EBC! lol. Good deal (and good discussion.)

·
Registered
888 Posts
boiling_water said:
Thanks boostologe....I will defintly PM you when I set my V6...

So..if i install 9.5:1 pistons...could it make V6 loss low RPM torque below 3500 RMP?

Yes you're going to lose about 4% power down low until you supercharge which will make up for that and then some.

·
Registered
622 Posts
turbos blow man.

lol literally lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts