Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Will report in 10 days, thanks again for all the help guys :)
Well on my car, sandpaper wasn't enough. I had to resort to using an old used screwdriver (that I don't use as a screwdriver anymore) and a small hammer. I used that pair to chip the rust away. The rust scale is quite hard and the impact force helped to shatter the scale on the surface.

Here's a before pic from my car. You can see the built-up rust scale towards the top of the sensor mounting surface:
Wood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system

And here's another shot with a flashlight angled in such a way to try to accentuate the existence of the rust layer:
Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system Nut

And here's a pic of the mounting surface all cleaned up:
Automotive tire Rim Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Gas

So I don't know if that is what's going on with your car, but certainly worth a look. If that's not it, we'll keep working on it. :)

·
Registered
Hyundai Coupe 2.7 2002 & Hyundai Coupe 2.0 2007
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@ chase206

Definitely a possibility for particles to interfere I know that. I did my best to spray clean the area after I sanded the knuckle etc. but still....

@ Tiberius

Your case is a lot worse than mine to be honest. Mine is sub 50k car and this is how it looked like BEFORE sanding (just some surface rust):

Tire Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Rim

Then I sanded it and got to "rather" clean surface before mounting the new sensor....that fixed nothing :D

After the vacation, I'm cleaning the whole thing again and putting the sucker on the oscilloscope...

Thank you all crew once again, really appreciated :)

·
Administrator
9,165 Posts
Based on your picture, I would also clean the OD of the tone ring.

Reactions: Mladen

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mladen, Yeah, your mounting surface doesn't look nearly as rusty as what I was dealing with. Looks pretty clean.

So put the scope on it when you get the chance and we'll go from there. Just be careful about polarity and connections, etc. I don't know how the Tib sensors are connected to the module, but usually scope ground sides are connected together at the scope chassis. The point is, if you probe both fronts sensors at the same time, you can may connect some of the wires sensor together through the scope. And if the sensor wires are not already referenced to each other at the module, your system may not like that.

In my case, the sensors were already ground referenced at the module, so as long as I paid attention to polarity, I was OK.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts