Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Ac is the analog type.
on speed 1 & 2 the ac is great, 3 starts cutting off and on, 4 is completely off. That is as far as I can tell at the moment, where should I look next? the speed switch? the resistor? the blower?

Thank you for your time and expertise.

R

·
Registered
32 Posts
It’s only the switch. Had the same happen on mine. Got a brand new Hyundai fan switch for $14, took about 5 mins to replace it, and it’s perfect now. For the price it’s better than getting a used part to replace it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It’s only the switch. Had the same happen on mine. Got a brand new Hyundai fan switch for $14, took about 5 mins to replace it, and it’s perfect now. For the price it’s better than getting a used part to replace it.
where did you get a new one for $14 ?!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got it from Amazon. Whenever I need parts I always lookup the part number and check Amazon first. Then eBay, then good old Google of the part number for new OEM parts. Usually I'll find it for a reasonable price. Sometimes RockAuto.com has great prices for more common parts as well.

The analog blower switch is Hyundai OEM part # 97113-3A000

Just checked and they're still available, but $6 more now. But it's still a steal compared to ordering from the dealer. A junk yard would probably charge that, but new delivered to your door is always far better when it's not too spendy!

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Hyundai-97113-3A000-Blower-Assembly/dp/B00BJMN7BM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=97113-3A000&qid=1564767513&s=gateway&sr=8-1

You can also search ebay and google for the part number, but I doubt you'll find a new one cheaper than $20 with free 2 day prime shipping! :)

When I replaced the switch, I also found on Amazon a brand new blower assembly for $30 with free shipping as well! So for under $50 I replaced the switch and fan blower.

The blower motor and fan (new aftermarket, but was a perfect fit and exact connector plug), is Hyundai Part# 97113-2C000 Amazon link to it below if anyone needs one. Also far better than getting from a junkyard for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/TYC-700128-Hyundai-Replacement-Assembly/dp/B000VKRQF6/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@sccarlso

Follow up question: was changing the blower motor difficult? I know its a tight place, but I changed the one on my 01 santa fe, and while removing the 3 screws was easy, taking the motor down and putting the new one up was extremely difficult because of the space and whatever was underneath it.

* My blower does make a tick - tick noise and for 30 bucks ill put a new one in.

R

·
Registered
32 Posts
@sccarlso

Follow up question: was changing the blower motor difficult? I know its a tight place, but I changed the one on my 01 santa fe, and while removing the 3 screws was easy, taking the motor down and putting the new one up was extremely difficult because of the space and whatever was underneath it.

* My blower does make a tick - tick noise and for 30 bucks ill put a new one in.

R
Not bad at all. One of the 3 screws doesn’t have a lot of room, but if you have long, regular and the shortie magnetic phillips screwdrivers, no problem. I ordered a carbon cabin filter as well on Amazon since I smoke, so I pulled the glove box (carefully), removed the filter which looked like it had never been changed! And there was plenty of room. Since the blower plug matched, quick swap of the blower and reassembled. I’d say do it! 20-30mins max to do. I’ve had much bigger fights with my Tib on smaller jobs! Lol

Some goofs gave the analog switch bad reviews because their problem was the resistor. But I think that’s uncommon. And the switch was easier than the blower to replace. My blower wasn’t bad, but I had just bought a 2005 SE with 102K on it. So I replaced it anyway as it was cheap. 05-07 Tibs are in that sweet spot right now where sellers have new parts they want to move. So I replaced just about everything in the cabin & under the hood too that could break for about $800 total. Radiator, condenser, AC compressor, hoses, both electric fans, alternator, and timing belt w/water pump, and drive belt with new tensioner & idler pulley. Even the drive pulley on the crank! It was bent, and it took a week or so to arrive, but was the actual Hyundai part for peanuts. Got a new Hyundai drive pulley on Amazon for $14! Plenty of close out parts! But the car with only 102K on it, still has 13yr old parts. Now it purrs, and there’s not much left to fail anytime soon! I even got a set of 4 drilled/slotted discs including decent ceramic pads in a kit on Amazon for $150 with free shipping to put on my ‘06 GT! That was a real good deal and they worked great! Then topped it off by getting 4 “new” OEM wheels for $600 shipped on eBay. Big difference on ride & look. I always go to a Hyundai dealer site with good diagrams to find the part #, then I shop around.

I hate how the rotors on Tibs being visible thru the factory rims will rust so easily! Purely cosmetic, but I found a pro tip that took care of that for $20! Get two cans of silver caliper paint at Autozone, clean the oil coating off the new discs with brake cleaner. Paint the front & back of them entirely, then once dry to the touch, I hung them on coat hangers and let dry for a few days. There’s a YouTube video about doing this.

Then I put them on carefully as not to chip the paint. And on first drive to seat the pads, it smokes a little, but the pads quickly wear off the paint only where pads make contact. Now my rotors look great and don’t rust! And the braking is much improved as well! :)

My suggestion to anyone with a Tib! If you love them, you’re here at NewTiburon! I have two, a GT Limited & an SE in my garage because I love em, and most parts interchange. Replace the parts now while you can get them on closeout like I did, even if they work. They’re still 13-15 yr old parts! And you’ll save a ton! You have to remove many parts anyway to do the timing belt for example. So why not put new parts back in? You already did the labor removing them to get access to the timing belt or alternator! It’s cheap, and they’ll last at least another 13+ years! In a few years the parts will either be unavailable or 3x the price! I won’t put junkyard parts on my Tibs unless I have no choice, and if you can get any parts now like the fans (with the OEM shrouds) for like $80 total, they will break eventually if they have anything in them that moves. Even if you don’t replace them all at once like I did. Buy em now while cheap and put em in your garage. Then when they do fail, you have all you need. And if you ever sell your Tib, you can likely sell any unused parts on eBay for a profit later when the part is much harder to find and more expensive.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@sccarlso

I bought my Tiburon basically for what a junkyard was offering the previous owner. Since then, just like you, I have replaced many parts to get it to purrs like yours. It is my daily driver and a fun, good looking car to drive.

Since I am replacing the switch getting under the dashboard for the motor, ill replace the resistor as well.

Since it seems that you know a great deal about these cars, see if you can answer my other question (Radio comes on after 10 ~ 60 seconds after the car is running ) that I'm posting on the board.

Thank you
R

·
Registered
32 Posts
@sccarlso

Do you have the part number (or amazon link ) to the resistor?

R
Quite often the part is on Amazon. The resistor is Hyundai part # 97035-3D000. $16 on Amazon.
Should be the same for at least 04-07. But there’s also a pic so you can verify. Or you can google the part number as well to verify.

https://www.amazon.com/HYUNDAI-97035-3D000-Genuine-Hyundai-Resistor/dp/B00BJMUXDC/

I check parts at the link below. But they have great diagrams and you can search with your VIN as well. They charge way too much, but it gets you the part number!

https://www.hyundaioempartsdirect.com/oem-parts/hyundai-blower-motor-resistor-970353d000?c=Zz1odmFjJnM9Ymxvd2VyLW1vdG9yLWFuZC1mYW4mbD0xMiZuPUFzc2VtYmxpZXMgUGFnZSZhPWh5dW5kYWkmbz10aWJ1cm9uJnk9MjAwNSZ0PWd0JmU9Mi03bC12Ni1nYXM=

·
Registered
32 Posts
@sccarlso

I bought my Tiburon basically for what a junkyard was offering the previous owner. Since then, just like you, I have replaced many parts to get it to purrs like yours. It is my daily driver and a fun, good looking car to drive.

Since I am replacing the switch getting under the dashboard for the motor, ill replace the resistor as well.

Since it seems that you know a great deal about these cars, see if you can answer my other question (Radio comes on after 10 ~ 60 seconds after the car is running ) that I'm posting on the board.

Thank you
R
Tough as it could be a few things. You need a wiring diagram & multimeter to check. But an offhand guess is the ignition switch or relay. Relays are fairly cheap and easy to test. When you turn the key to run, but not to start position, the dash lights come on ignition turns on, radio comes on. But, while these are on, also turn the lights on, when you move the key to start, it cuts power to headlights, radio, etc. so the starter gets all the power it can to crank. Then restores power when you release it from the start position.

I’d think something is sticking in that circuit that cuts and restores power when in the start position and when released. Either a relay or worn switch. A diagram & multimeter are essential to finding where. Good investment if you don’t have a meter, and you can usually find the ignition wiring diagram with google. And it’s satisfying when you can fix these things with a simple relay! :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The multimeter is probably above my pay grade ;). I have a feeling that is a relay somewhere and I just have to wait until the temperature in Florida cools off a little bit so I can track it.

I'm actually thinking of paying someone to replace the Crankshaft position sensor because I dont want to be out on the heat. :)

R

1 - 12 of 12 Posts