Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

it's kinda the same as the topic fueltuning i think, but if i don't try i'll never know. so here it goes.

i drive l4 2.0 on LPG( 105-110ron octane)
...so what i've learnt from earlier threads is that our cars are made for lower octanes, but couldn't the ecu be remapped or ajusted whatever so the timing could be advanced, bcause i run on pure liquid petroleum gas(real gas) that's injected. car starts on gasoline (super 98 ) when the car reaches a certain temperature it automaticaly switches to lpg, above 5500rpms it shortly swiches back to gasoline. so theoreticaly it can perform better, only if i knew how... without forced induction i mean...:)?

info on lpg system: tartarini system: http://www.tartariniauto.it/en/index.php

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
get the sparkplugs one step hotter, it's the best you can do,i'm pretty sure it's a lot of hard work.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
very funny mdoggytib, you should become a comedian.
no, lpg stands for liquid petroleum gas(like propane, buthane) but compressed to a liquid. i've got a ring-tank in the back filled with lpg, where my spare tire used to be. So like i said when the car has a certain temp. it switches to lpg, the regular fuel is cutoff. (lpg costs 0.38euro/liter = +- 0.43 $/liter) everything is controlled with an extra ecu specially for the lpg-system. it just takes the real parameters from the cars ecu, and based on that it can inject the right amount of lpg with the right timing.

Get the sparks one step hotter? How isd that gonna help and how do i do that? with a hairdryer? i've got denso iridiums with magnecor race wires.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
very funny mdoggytib, you should become a comedian.
no, lpg stands for liquid petroleum gas(like propane, buthane) but compressed to a liquid. i've got a ring-tank in the back filled with lpg, where my spare tire used to be. So like i said when the car has a certain temp. it switches to lpg, the regular fuel is cutoff. (lpg costs 0.38euro/liter = +- 0.43 $/liter) everything is controlled with an extra ecu specially for the lpg-system. it just takes the real parameters from the cars ecu, and based on that it can inject the right amount of lpg with the right timing.

Get the sparks one step hotter? How isd that gonna help and how do i do that? with a hairdryer? i've got denso iridiums with magnecor race wires.
dahak you could be a comic too. one step hotter means for example if stock ngk have 5 index, then you should have 4, but all other sparkplugs are indexed opposite, yoг would need a 6 index.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:3_confuse sorry, me dunno understand(e), me from(e) belgium.
index, the index of what, type of sparkplugs and where can i find that? could you give an example please?
But with lpg,the temperature is already hotter, because the fuelmixture is burned better. Denso have special sparkplugs for lpg-systems, don't know what's the difference, and why i should buy them. so there aren't other things i could do to use the benefits of the high octane rating?

Thanks guys

·
Read Only
5,386 Posts
Don't listen to these guys. They have no clue what you are talking about.

He already is running LPG, and his car is set up fine based on that. New plugs, add-on ECU for the LPG, etc. You guys are providing him useless knowledge.

What he was asking is about remapping the ECU to advance the timing, since his octane is so much higher (on both propane and normal gas) than the required 87 octane that our cars need.

To answer the question, I know for the V6, it's hard to advance the timing. For the 4 cylinder engine, they have been around much longer, so you might be able to search around and find an Ecu with adjusted timing. Check kspec, or speadfreakracing - they would be your best bets.

As far as running advanced timing on with LPG, I don't know anything about how smart that is. I am sure if the LPG ECU is just taking the parameters from the stock ECU, it might be ok, but I think you are just asking for trouble if you try to advance the timing on a duel-fuelled car like that. But again, this is out of my league.

I wonder if we could adapt a kit for the V6. I think propane is much cheaper than normal gas.

·
Read Only
5,386 Posts
^^^yo what you mean guys? i never gave/ advise info. I admitted to being confused.
and more confused now.

I know what LPG is, but again I ask, is it your Tib that runs on LPG?
Yes, his tib runs on LPG. Thats why he is on a tib forum, talking about his 2.0L I4 engine (which happens to be the same size as the tib), and asking about remapping "our cars" ecu.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Malogus, two of three of my cars run on lpg, so i know a "bit" better, you Americans don't even know what's expensive fuel and for what is lpg used, we have about 10% cars running on it. converting the diesel to propane is impossible.

dahak, if you have lpg-specific plugs, that's good. but lpg burns colder than low-octane fuel. it burns faster and doesn't heat the cylinder walls so much , so the hotter plugs would be , for example ngk stock are recommended bpr5..... , colder will be bpr 6.... , hotter bpr4...just fyi

and here's the ngk to denso cross-reference

converting in my country costs from $400 for reductor system to $1500 with the injectors controller...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ho ho ho to run on lpg no engine conversion is needed, all remains the same only extra injectors( in the fuelrail i think). It isn't so expensive as 4k$ mine cost 2k$ but i do 100km/day so i've earned it all back. But take this in considderation: lpg-systems take back performance(it's a little bit noticeable). This is why i was searching for benefits or ways to improve performance taking the high octane rating of lpg.

Raven here in Belgium there are kits for lpg in diesel engines. But it's not so popular because dieselfuel is cheaper and the engine is more economical.
So the sparkplugs become hotter when running on lpg, so i'll need the....cold type?? What are the benefits?longer enginelife or better performance?

Thanks all of you

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
ho ho ho to run on lpg no engine conversion is needed, all remains the same only extra injectors( in the fuelrail i think). It isn't so expensive as 4k$ mine cost 2k$ but i do 100km/day so i've earned it all back. But take this in considderation: lpg-systems take back performance(it's a little bit noticeable). This is why i was searching for benefits or ways to improve performance taking the high octane rating of lpg.
Raven here in Belgium there are kits for lpg in diesel engines. But it's not so popular because dieselfuel is cheaper and the engine is more economical.
So the sparkplugs become hotter when running on lpg, so i'll need the....cold type?? What are the benefits?longer enginelife or better performance?
Thanks all of you
dahak, no, the engine runs colder + losing some power because of lpg , you could get one step hotter sparkplugs, it should get you closer to optimal exhaust temperatures, i may be wrong, but i think the easiest way is to get the msd ignition amplifier , but i wouldn't mess with it just to try to retard (or advance) the timing:3_headsha
i'd say economy is economy , want to get power, switch the lpg off (in both lpg cars we have a switch fuel/lpg and the emergency propane start button), lpg is not just like the racing fuel, you know, it has it's properties, that won't let you get the power like from toluene (114 oct.rating), so i wouldn't worry much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.