Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.... i know we've gone over this billions of times but i've tried everything i can think of.

Aright the problem is this:

Got my CAI installed. Restet the ECU. Went for a drive. Waaaabbbbaammm CEL?!?!?! WTF i think to myself. Check the maff sensor. as far as i can tell it looks fine (what do i look for if theres a problem). Next... check that it is set in the right direction, arrow towards the throttle body. next i check the wiring.... looks normal. check to see if theres leeks..... i tighten all the clamps. then i reset the ECU. everythings fine again so i go for another drive (bout an hour). When i get home i shut the car off.... then start it again and waaaabaaaam..... CEL. WTFS do i do????? I got a OBDII scanner on the way. Ahould be here this week. Any ideas in the mean time.

Thanx

· Registered
1,219 Posts
Are you sure there isn't too much tension on the wire to the MAF?

Also, buy some CRC MAF cleaner spray for 5 bucks at autozone and go to it. New filters often come over- oiled from the factory. If you have the Dry Flow filter, nevermind.

Autozone will also check the code for you, for free...

· Registered
1,731 Posts
yep check the wires the clean the maf with spray

· Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What if the wires are tight..... i don't think there is an autozone in canada.... i've got a code reader comeing some time this week

· Registered
1,371 Posts
I've heard of people having problems with a SRI but never a CAI - wierd. The MAF wire should be a bit loose, not to the point were its tights like a guitar string. I would start from scratch and install it again.

· Registered
498 Posts
Ok.... i know we've gone over this billions of times but i've tried everything i can think of.

Got my CAI installed. Restet the ECU. Went for a drive. Waaaabbbbaammm CEL?!?!?! WTF i think to myself. Check the maff sensor. as far as i can tell it looks fine (what do i look for if theres a problem). Next... check that it is set in the right direction, arrow towards the throttle body. next i check the wiring.... looks normal. check to see if theres leeks..... i tighten all the clamps. then i reset the ECU. everythings fine again so i go for another drive (bout an hour). When i get home i shut the car off.... then start it again and waaaabaaaam..... CEL. WTFS do i do????? I got a OBDII scanner on the way. Ahould be here this week. Any ideas in the mean time.

Thanx
Yeh, what everyone said about checking the tension in the MAF wire. Is your car bucking at all? You could have the damaged the inside of the MAF where the filament is and that could be causing the CEL. Plus, you should get the actual CEL number and check it out to see what CEL you're throwing.

· Registered
4,994 Posts
As cold as it is where he is, the maf may be throwing a hi input code... too much air going by, cooling the maf too much making it think its seeing to much air... without the code, it's going to be hard to tell what the real problem is...

· Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oK... my maff wire is a bit too tight in my opinion.... how do i go about extending them.... cut the wires and soder in some wire to extend them?

Too cold of air kinda makes sense....

My exaust smells like it's burning super ****ing lean.... different smell than stock (lol)

· Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also.... it's not bucking.... runs smooth... engine rocks a little at idle speed which is normal... wouldn't say it's enough to call it bucking

· Registered
517 Posts
Mmm... I had the same problem with the wire being too tight. Theres a clamp the wire goes to that if you remove, will allow it to stretch a bit further (it wont drag or anything). Also, make sure that not only the arrow is pointing to the throttle body, make sure the plug for the wire is on top. Ive heard of guys throwin CELs if that plug is oriented differently.

· Registered
225 Posts
Mmm... I had the same problem with the wire being too tight. Theres a clamp the wire goes to that if you remove, will allow it to stretch a bit further (it wont drag or anything). Also, make sure that not only the arrow is pointing to the throttle body, make sure the plug for the wire is on top. Ive heard of guys throwin CELs if that plug is oriented differently.
I got my plug on the side at a 45° angle to give the wire some slack, never thrown a CEL because of that, there is no moving parts in there.
the only CEL that my AEM CAI caused was because the wire was too tight.
So check the clip like he said or rotate the MAF.

· Registered
1,731 Posts
when i had my AEM CAI on, i hade the maf almost complete side ways to give me slack. never an issue

· Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
hmmm.... i'll have to try rotatin it.

usually the rpms stay pretty stable.... if i don't plug my car in when it's cold they will bounce up and down and almost stall....then after a while it levals off. pluggin in the car remedies this problem.

Exhaust doesn't sound any different.

BTW i got the V6 GT 2003

· Registered
2,115 Posts
hmmm.... i'll have to try rotatin it.

usually the rpms stay pretty stable.... if i don't plug my car in when it's cold they will bounce up and down and almost stall....then after a while it levals off. pluggin in the car remedies this problem.

Exhaust doesn't sound any different.

BTW i got the V6 GT 2003
Not to threadjack but my car has been bucking as I plan to hit the AEM dealer to see about it shortly. Though originally it stopped bucking when he fixed the problem of the MAF and Bypass being in different places. That lasted however for just a few weeks of peace.
Before that I had replaced the TCS and sensor with genuine Hyundai parts which now just felt like another bandaid, though thinking if I should go to an SRI if worse comes to worse as its agonizing to deal with this time and time again.

· Registered
101 Posts

Thanx
Why don't you go back to stock and check if there's a CEL? If not, then just put the air filter before the MAF as if it were a SRI. Run the car and check for a CEL, if not then assemble the remaining parts and if you get a CEL then you know it's probably a soft code that will go away as soon as the ECU get used to the colder(denser) air getting into the engine.

Just my 2 cents!

· Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's not the maff that's giving the CEL.... i juist scanned the ECU and it;s code P0447. Just don't know how to fix the problem or even where the box is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.