Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok so ive got an 03 elantra (map based with narrowband o2 sensors) and ive got the fic wired in properly (yes i checked the wiring 3x) it ran JUST fine with everything zeroed out and a stock fuel system. I recently just installed the 1k ohm resistor into the o2 signal wire and then tapped 021+ into the o2 sensor wire just as shown in the fic instructions. HOWEVER, with the fic installed now i get a constant 1.25 volts on my OBD2 logger when viewing the 02 sensor voltage and my wideband o2 go rich as hell (10:1 afr) NOW, without the fic plugged in and the patch through adaptor plugged in i get the normal oscillating voltage like i should. I DO have the right wire tapped for the 02 sensor.

Oddly enough the map sensor flips out as well. i show about 16.7psiA with the key on engine off with the fic plugged in. With the fic removed and loop plug installed i get normal readings...
ive had NO isues with the map sensor wire or wiring to the fic and i never touched any of it since i installed it. Everything is soldered and heat shrinked.

All of this JUST started after i installed the 1/2 watt 1k resistor resistor into the 02 sensor signal wire.

WTF is going on. this i though plenty of others have done this with no issues. i know Larryinkc has done this with no problems here. Anyone care to shed some light here on my problem. its pretty odd i think.

Im about reading to pull my ****ing hair out...... im serisouly considering the dual rail setup now.....

·
Registered
568 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, I have a few questions.

1. Are you boosted? I assume so but you didnt say...

2. Stock fuel system? If you are boosted JW if you have bigger injectors.

I had a problem with my Aem not being plugged in all way, and a wire on the harness grounding itself because the shielding wore off.

Also my MAF sensor was Dirty from the turbo, but you have MAP so Idk.

I believe your problems have to do with what ever your trying to modify your O2 sensor to do.

What exactly are you trying to do with your O2 sensors?

·
Registered
905 Posts
oh boy oh boy here we go......let me check my diagram and help you out bud. Just give me a few seconds to look over everything. Oh and the resistor you can toss them out I did to mine and everything ran just fine. Oh and I hope you did the pre-setup through the software before turning over the engine like flashing the FIC for new updates and the set-up process I urge people to do.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, flashed with z110.hex and x300 firmwares and such. tps and rpm are calibrated. Im not a newbie to messing with cars by any means but tuning is not one of my strengths ill admit.

I guess ill cut out the resistor and see what happens here.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My only advice is to check your wiring again.
Excuse my ignorance, I have a few questions.

1. Are you boosted? I assume so but you didnt say...

2. Stock fuel system? If you are boosted JW if you have bigger injectors.

I had a problem with my Aem not being plugged in all way, and a wire on the harness grounding itself because the shielding wore off.

Also my MAF sensor was Dirty from the turbo, but you have MAP so Idk.

I believe your problems have to do with what ever your trying to modify your O2 sensor to do.

What exactly are you trying to do with your O2 sensors?

Yep im boosted, i havn't driven the car around under any boost so it should be just fine. ive got 910cc injectors

As for the 02 sensor issue, im thinking its the same as well, but i was just curious if there was anyone who had eperienced the same issues.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah ****, now looking at the instruction manual it says to use a 1/4 watt 1k ohm resistor and i used a 1/2 watt 1k ohm resistor.

Gonna go cut out the resistor for now and see what happens. ive re-installed the aem fic program on the pc im using and reflashed the fic again with x300 and z110 and cleared the basemap and uploaded it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ah ****, now looking at the instruction manual it says to use a 1/4 watt 1k ohm resistor and i used a 1/2 watt 1k ohm resistor.

Gonna go cut out the resistor for now and see what happens. ive re-installed the aem fic program on the pc im using and reflashed the fic again with x300 and z110 and cleared the basemap and uploaded it.

Ok removed the resistor and now ive got intresting results......

stft is anywhere from 0.00 to 3.91 (fluctuating) and ltft is zeroed with the fic removed and bypass harness installed. car runs flawless.

With the fic installed i get stft sitting at 35% and ltft zeroed (at idle)

Somthing is SERIOUSLY wrong here..

Im not exactly sure wtf is going on but the fic seems to be massivly making the car lean with the fic installed.

EDIT: just saw i hav a p0107 code map sensor input too low..... fuel trims say im running too lean (35.16 percent to be exact)

Map sensor was replaced with a new hyundai unit about 3-4 months ago....

Wiring for map sensor signal is correct. And i dont get these codes with the fic removed or the screwy readings..... Bad fic maybe???

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
with the fic dis-connected and loop harness installed it runs perfect, just like stock. Im not sure wtf is going on....

·
Registered
905 Posts
could be software related not entirely sure at the moment but you definitely shouldn't be throwing codes by any means I know when I had my unit installed it leaned out quite a bit. The FIC is not a perfect unit by any means and definitely wouldn't suggest the auto calibration for fuel. Keep everything zero'd out on the maps. Oh and tell me how you have your setup set.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
could be software related not entirely sure at the moment but you definitely shouldn't be throwing codes by any means I know when I had my unit installed it leaned out quite a bit. The FIC is not a perfect unit by any means and definitely wouldn't suggest the auto calibration for fuel. Keep everything zero'd out on the maps. Oh and tell me how you have your setup set.

I just have the fic installed under the center console and wired at the ecu.

I think the unit is ****ed. im SERIOUSLY considering doing a dual rail setup. all i have left is the engine managment at this point and the fic SHOULD work but just isn't.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Something may not be wired right crank sensor?!?
...last option would be to wire things 2 at a time...easier to trouble shoot that way,.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Update:

Ok so ive done some more looking around and from what i can see. everything is ok wiring wise.

Here is a list of the symptoms ive got.

16.7 psia at idle (on obd2 scantool)
1.6psia with key on engine off (OBD2 SCANTOOL READING)

12.4 afr at idle initially then goes lean (18-20:1) and stalls
stft pegged to 35 percent lean

check engine codes
p0107 map sensor low input
p0132 oxygen sensor circuit high voltage b1s1

on aem gauges display function in fic software

mafin=5.96 v (key on engine off)
maf out =0

mafin =2.96 (key on engine on)
maf out = 0 still

fic unplugged
--------------
4.4 psia at idle on obd2 scantool
afr is 14.7
stft is 0-4% fluctuating

Im wondering if i should remove the map sensor wire from the fic all together since it calculates its own load through the on board map sensor and tps...... i just wont have an aem fic map clamp i guess....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts