Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a guy that can get me a brand new AEM SRI for $85 + shipping. Does anyone have any experience with this intake? The only SRI I ever see on here is Injen's. I know AEM makes quality products, but why is Injen's so much more popular?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Injens SRI puts the filter right behind the headlight getting it further away form the heat of the engine, as to where AEM (to my knowledge) has their filter come out on the side of the engine in the little open space behind the battery and to the left of the fuse box. If I could guess...this would be my guess why.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
no dont buy the AEM SRI... is basically some pipe clamps and a filter

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
for the money or the AEM SRI go buy a cone air filter and take off the stock air box and replace it with the cone at the end of the tube

·
Registered
514 Posts
R100's is the man to get SRI's from IMO. I bought my CAI from him, delt with a few of his people in Oregon and everything worked out GREAT! He also has the best prices around. I dont think I have every found a SRI/CAI cheaper. His SRI runs around 165 shipped (or atleast it did a few months ago...things change though). I think they would be worth the money but the people who have AEM's product most likely would say the same thing about them.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about going the eBay CAI route, but I'm really paranoid about it sucking up water. I know it's not likely, and I avoid puddles as much as possible even without a CAI, so I seriously doubt I'd have a problem with it. But this is my daily driver, and if something happens to it, I'm pretty much ****ed.

·
Registered
514 Posts
It is my daily also...I have had no issues and (like you stated) as long as you avoid large puddles...you will be fine. It is very well hidden also...it sits behind the front bumper and it has the bottom splash guard (bottom of the bumper) to protect it from water

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is my daily also...I have had no issues and (like you stated) as long as you avoid large puddles...you will be fine. It is very well hidden also...it sits behind the front bumper and it has the bottom splash guard (bottom of the bumper) to protect it from water
That's the eBay CAI you're talking about, or just any CAI?

·
Registered
514 Posts
That's the eBay CAI you're talking about, or just any CAI?
Should be any CAI but I havnt seen them behind the bumper except the AEM, Fujita, and Injen so dont quote me. I would go with an Injen if I did it again. if not Fujita, and AEM are good products aswell.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have a Injen CAI polished. I would take pictures for you and post them and the position of the filter tomorrow but you should be able to search on here ifnot on the internet and find pics of it there.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've always thought intakes were all about the same, and that you're mostly paying for the name. I've heard the eBay CAI with a K&N filter will perform the same as any brand name CAI. Is there any truth to this? Is there any difference in the materials used in different intakes that allow them to perform differently, or is it all just personal preference?

·
Registered
514 Posts
That I cant answer, try searching for that one. But IMO, some are made with different materials, different bends, different positons, and the most important...different filters. So yes there is a difference but I would GUESSTIMATE (no flaming) round a few hp differance (beeing 1-3hp diff.)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That I cant answer, try searching for that one. But IMO, some are made with different materials, different bends, different positons, and the most important...different filters. So yes there is a difference but I would GUESSTIMATE (no flaming) round a few hp differance (beeing 1-3hp diff.)
Yeah, I knew about the different filters. If I went with the eBay CAI, I'd also order a good brand-name filter to go with it. 1-3 horsepower doesn't sound like something I'm willing to pay an additional $250+ for, so I'm thinking I'm going to go with the eBay CAI. Unless I can find a good deal on an Injen SRI sometime in the very near future.

·
Registered
514 Posts
How much is the ebay cai?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Like I said, I think the Injen SRI from r100's is around 165 but im not pos.

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
I found a guy that can get me a brand new AEM SRI for $85 + shipping. Does anyone have any experience with this intake? The only SRI I ever see on here is Injen's. I know AEM makes quality products, but why is Injen's so much more popular?

sweet profit. he is selling u a 25 dollar part at 85 bux. rock on.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sweet profit. he is selling u a 25 dollar part at 85 bux. rock on.
He's not selling me anything. From the responses I read here about the AEM SRI supposedly being no better than the stock intake with a cone filter instead of the air box, I decided against it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts