Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i didnt know where to put tis so i put it here...... i was just wondering if anyone else has had the problem of the airbag not going off in a car crash? my mom was driving mine when she got hit from behind and the airbag didnt go off and luckly she was OK, but does anyone know if we should try to go after HYUNDAI for that problem or what.....thanks for all your HELP ahead of time......o and does anyone know the book value of the car 03 tib

·
Rool : Pron Spammer
4,096 Posts
itsatibby said:
i didnt know where to put tis so i put it here...... i was just wondering if anyone else has had the problem of the airbag not going off in a car crash? my mom was driving mine when she got hit from behind and the airbag didnt go off and luckly she was OK, but does anyone know if we should try to go after HYUNDAI for that problem or what.....thanks for all your HELP ahead of time......o and does anyone know the book value of the car 03 tib
I don't think airbags would normally go off in a rearend collision. The collision would push you back into the seat, not forward into the dash.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
We have side impact and front airbags. They don't have a reason to go off from a rear end collision ???

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
exactly what hotwheelz said. because you're being pushed into the seat theres no need for rear impact sensors. Air bags are there to stop a passenger of a vehicle to be thrusted towards the point of impact. If you're accident occurs from the front ure going to be flying at a windshield, from the side you're going to be thrusted towards a door, but if you're hit in the rear you'll be banging against the headcushion of ure seat. Hopefully the headcushion is properly adjusted to the level of you're head and not to the level of your neck.

But since i just got a ticket and i'm stuck taking online traffic school i'll just copy and paste some vital information for ya. Just excerpts though. Oh and to not get busted for plagiarising copyrighted material all quoted material is from www.trafficschool.com which i HIGHLY recommend you guys use if ya'll ever get a traffic ticket. and thanks to uneek for posting this in a coupon thread somewhere.

HOW DOES AN AIRBAG WORK?
There are several impact sensors in the front of the vehicle and another sensor in the passenger compartment. The use of multiple sensors is necessary to reduce the risk of accidental deployment. These sophisticated devices detect impact forces to the car. If the car is slowing at a rate faster than the brakes are capable of slowing it, the car is obviously being slowed by some other means. This other means is usually a collision. When one or two of the front sensors and the one in the interior of the car detect a collision of a certain severity, signals are sent to the airbag(s) to inflate.

The airbag itself is made of a lightweight nylon material and is folded like a parachute. Below it is an electronic ignitor surrounded by a gas-generating chemical. The gas that inflates the airbag is an inert gas called nitrogen. Every breath you take consists of roughly 78% nitrogen.
Sensors are immediately activated upon impact in as little time as one-hundredth of a second.

By three-hundredths of a second the airbag has begun to inflate.

The airbag has fully inflated by six-hundredths of a second.

By one-half of a second the airbag has deflated.

Does an airbag deploy fast enough? If you hit a non-moving vehicle, a tree, or a concrete barrier head-on traveling at a speed of 55 mph, your head will have made contact with the windshield at two-tenths of one second. Your heart would stop beating and you would be dead in less than seven-tenths of one second.

In other words, six-hundredths of a second is more than enough time for an airbag to completely deploy.

Remember that a front airbag will be of no use in many types of collisions, such as when you are struck from behind, in side collisions or in rollovers. Even in some frontal collisions, airbags may not deploy because of the angle of impact or lack of severity of the collision. This is why, in addition to having an airbag, you must always wear your seatbelt. This brings up the reason why an airbag is called a supplemental restraint system.
ON THE ROAD TO SAFER AIRBAGS
Many new developments in airbag technology are being taken by the automotive industry to make them safer. Even though airbags save more than 500 lives a year, airbags are still contributing to many unnecessary deaths on our highways. The following are some proposed solutions to increase airbag safety:

* More prominent labeling--brightly colored and strongly worded warning labels placed on both the sun visors and dash boards of new cars
* Slower inflating--National Highway Traffic Safety Administration officials believe that if airbags inflate with 20 to 35 percent less power, many children's and smaller adult's lives could be saved
* Disconnecting switches--allowing the driver to deactivate the bags
* "Smarter" Technology--sensors installed into the vehicle's seats to detect the presence of a person, their weight and also their position in the seat to determine the speed and angle for bag deployment

As airbag technology advances, many more lives will surely be saved; but it is still imperative for all motorists to realize the importance of understanding the safety issues related to this technology.

It is a misdemeanor for any person to install or reinstall for compensation any previously deployed airbag. This offense is punishable by a $5,000 fine, or by imprisonment or both.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tis is the *** end and it rippled on the side and the exhaust was pushed up to the front a little bit and the hatch wont close and the front right sid rim is GONE
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
and thats it!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts