Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I recently had an accident a couple of days ago with my 05 tib and used up my airbag. The hyundai maint. shop here is claiming i have to buy a whole new system to replace the old one. I haven't got a price quote yet, but was curious if anyone here replaced theirs or knows how much a set costs....

·
Retired Staff | Track Rat
5,714 Posts
I haven't had to get mine replaced, but I would expect around $700-$1000USD... minimum.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I can get you general idea on price later. I have a meeting in 2 mins. With airbag deployment, you have to replace the airbag, clock spring (if drivers side), dash (if passenger side), airbag control module, both wiring harnesses, and sometimes the seatbelts.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner on this. It's been busier than hell in here this week. Lots of people out wrecking their Hyundai's this week.

Anyways, are you in Egypt, because my prices won't do you any good out there.

And if you do want US prices, I need to know what year. VIN won't do me any good because I can't look up non-us cars on my catalog.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey John,
Yep I'm all the way across the pond. Its an 05 Tib 1.6 FX Manual. I'm just thinking if Hyundai Egypt are going to be pricks and price them too high, I'd be better off getting it from abroad....

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Might want to see if they can print you off a quote with the part #s. I can only run VIN #s for US bound cars, nothing overseas. I would rather not take the chance on guessing on the part #s, when you have different ones in your car, and possibly ones I can't even get.

Nazih said:
Hey John,
Yep I'm all the way across the pond. Its an 05 Tib 1.6 FX Manual. I'm just thinking if Hyundai Egypt are going to be pricks and price them too high, I'd be better off getting it from abroad....

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
LowSonoma1999 said:
I can get you general idea on price later. I have a meeting in 2 mins. With airbag deployment, you have to replace the airbag, clock spring (if drivers side), dash (if passenger side), airbag control module, both wiring harnesses, and sometimes the seatbelts.

I'm kinda curious...how does an airbag deploying damage the control module and wires? The control module is, I'm assuming, a computer, and wires are just wires. How are either of those destroyed from a deployment?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
yg17 said:
I'm kinda curious...how does an airbag deploying damage the control module and wires? The control module is, I'm assuming, a computer, and wires are just wires. How are either of those destroyed from a deployment?
So much electrical current goes through when an airbag deployes it shorts out the harnesses and the module.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The reason one needs the module is because it has a write-once memory chip that records the accident. This cannot be cleared with an airbag code reader. Some companies reflash this, but I woudn't let anyone touch a device that can save my life. I bought a new module from the dealer, was $368 I think for a 2004. 2005 module is different in wiring layout, but I'm guessing pricing will be comparable.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
John,

I chose the cheaper option to convert the seatbelt to old school manual. I'm gonna wait it off till i can do the job right in the future... Thanks though!

What i still dont get why this happens to the seatbelt? What possibly safety advantage could the passengers have by shorting out the seatbelt module ?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Nazih said:
John,

I chose the cheaper option to convert the seatbelt to old school manual. I'm gonna wait it off till i can do the job right in the future... Thanks though!

What i still dont get why this happens to the seatbelt? What possibly safety advantage could the passengers have by shorting out the seatbelt module ?
It doesn't short out the seatbelt. There is an explosive charge in the seatbelt called a pre-tensioner. When it goes off, it tightens the belt to make sure the occupant doesn't go forward.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts