Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year all, I just finished installing my Alpine S/C, was driving around playing and started to smell rubber burning, wow all this power must be smoking the tires LOL, got home looked under the hood, the new belt was frayed and looked like it was trying to jump off! I found the blower pulley was about 1/4" out of alignment from the engine pulleys! I imagine there is a way to align it, does anyone know how this works? Tomorrow when it is cold I was going pull the belt off and see how the pulley goes on and maybe just turn it around or? Any body have this happen? :3_bdaybig

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
That's very unusual. Not being an @ss, but are you sure you had the belt lined correctly on all the splines? Also, you need to check on top of your belt tensioner, and there's two bumps on the outer edge, and a single bump on the inside edge. When you have correct belt tension, the center bump should be between the other two bumps. When you wrap your belt around all the other pulleys first (that's how I do mine), the when you pry back the tensioner to slip it over theblower pulley, did it line up? All it takes is having the belt over the edge one groove on one pulley to thrash it. I just don't see the the alpine pulley not lining up unless someone changed the pulley and put the spacer on the wrong side.

If that belt's damaged, don't run it! It's not worth tearing up your setup or cutting the timing belt.

·
Banned
1,154 Posts
The pulley may have been installed backwards. Is the stamp on the inside (towards the blower) or the outside (towards the fender)?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, thats what it was, backwards, once I turned it around and ran a straight edge from it to the engine pulley it was lined up. When I looked at it this morning I could see it was out of alignment, checked it with a straight edge and sure enough it was about 1/4" off, turned the pulley around and presto! Any body who recently got a kit from Alpine should check it out, just use a straight edge from the s/c pulley to the closest engine pulley to check

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Alpine pulley alignment
Today, 10:44 AM
Glad to hear you got it all worked out. Also, where in Florida are you located?
Thanks, Port St. Lucie, where are you?

The belt lost one rib, the rest of it is usable, I will be calling [email protected] for a replacement since someone there put the pulley on backwards! :3_yes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts