Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put on the supercharger and there is a rattling sound coming from the blower.....i was wondering what it is ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took off the belt and turned the pulley by hand and its making a noise inside the blower i dont know if it is normal???? when i first turn the pulley there is a click and then the noise sounds constang like shh shh ( lol) HELP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
Is it like a air going threw, almost a hollow sound?
 

·
Former Staff
Joined
·
3,336 Posts
Post up a short video clip using either a camera phone or a digital camera. Also, is yours new from Alpine or did you buy it used off someone?

I just installed mine and this is what mine sounds like at idle, and there is some sound from the impeller at idle and I think that's normal:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,475 Posts
MIne has a similar little click on revolution as well as the compression feeling when turned by hand, and runs fine. I believe that is normal. But normal sounding by what your describing. It's difficult w/o hearing or feeling it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm it kinda sound like this video so i guess its normal............i send my clip to alpine and they said its ok also..........its weird because when i started the car today the noise didnt come on till i started driving..........i can hear it the most when i take off from stop ( driving normally) right when i release the clutch and the car starts pulling but after that its hard to hear it unless it very low rmp or just coasting..........this is my sound clip im incluiding......also can i check the oil level to be sure??? where would i do that??





aLiEn_sPoReZ said:
Post up a short video clip using either a camera phone or a digital camera. Also, is yours new from Alpine or did you buy it used off someone?

I just installed mine and this is what mine sounds like at idle, and there is some sound from the impeller at idle and I think that's normal:

 

Attachments

·
Former Staff
Joined
·
3,336 Posts
Hmmm, I'm not sure what to make of that. It does sound like quite a loud rattle, doesn't it? My car is in the body shop right now, so I can't run out and give a closer listen to the supercharger but I can see why you'd be concerned. But, if Alpine says it's normal, then it's normal. The supercharger is warrantied, as is your powertrain, so if there is a catastrophic failure then you're covered.

Did you buy the supercharger new from Alpine?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
aLiEn_sPoReZ said:
Hmmm, I'm not sure what to make of that. It does sound like quite a loud rattle, doesn't it? My car is in the body shop right now, so I can't run out and give a closer listen to the supercharger but I can see why you'd be concerned. But, if Alpine says it's normal, then it's normal. The supercharger is warrantied, as is your powertrain, so if there is a catastrophic failure then you're covered.

Did you buy the supercharger new from Alpine?

I acually bought mine used.. but everything is running right....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,058 Posts
aLiEn_sPoReZ said:
Hmmm, I'm not sure what to make of that. It does sound like quite a loud rattle, doesn't it? My car is in the body shop right now, so I can't run out and give a closer listen to the supercharger but I can see why you'd be concerned. But, if Alpine says it's normal, then it's normal. The supercharger is warrantied, as is your powertrain, so if there is a catastrophic failure then you're covered.

Did you buy the supercharger new from Alpine?

He'll be coverd by Alpine *IF* he got the unit new and the warranty and they agree to cover it. *IF* something failed I wouldnt assure him that Hyundai would cover it....
 

·
Former Staff
Joined
·
3,336 Posts
fixer said:
He'll be coverd by Alpine *IF* he got the unit new and the warranty and they agree to cover it. *IF* something failed I wouldnt assure him that Hyundai would cover it....
Ya, that's why I was asking if he bought it new from Alpine or used because if he bought it new he's covered.
 

·
Former Staff
Joined
·
3,336 Posts
spikydave69 said:
Hey do you guys know how to check the oil level on the Alpine???
You don't. It's a sealed unit. http://www.capa.com.au/eaton.htm

A supercharger is connected directly to the crankshaft by a belt unlike a turbocharger which is driven by exhaust gases. An Eaton supercharger provides improved horsepower and torque, at lower engine rpm's, by pumping extra air into the engine in direct relationship to crankshaft speed. The positive connection yields instant response, in contrast to turbochargers, which must overcome inertia and spin up to speed as the flow of exhaust gas increases. The supercharger is a way to get around "turbo lag". The lubrication system also differs, in that, the supercharger is self-contained whereas the turbocharger requires engine oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
You will notice a noise whale turning the SC pulley by hand. The tollerances on the screws are very tight and there is a coating on the edge of the screw blades that makes the edges touch & but not exactly touch the inside of the SC. It's kinda hard to describe. That's the noise that I hear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
963 Posts
You can't really "check" the oil, but you can change it. Beneath the pulley there is an allen screw that you take out to change the oil.

I think GM says to change the oil in their SCs every 30,000 miles.

I wouldn't count on Alpine or Hyundai honoring any warranty.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top