Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i'm finally going to put some money in my sound system this month.

I'm aiming to get 1 or 2 10 or 12 inch subs. Probably get one now and if it's not enough, get another one later down the road

I wanna make a fiberglass box in the stock location for one, and if i get another one i would put it right across in the other corner in a similar box.

My buddy had an MTX sub, i think 10 inches that had real nice sound but it got stolen, now he has a boston acoustics which is also nice.

i think he also has an MTX amp but i think it's too expensive for me.

So yea, i was looking at MTX, boston acoustics and i also heard good things about polk audio on here before, Rockford fosgate and JBL would also be nice

I'm aiming on spending about $200-$300 on each item

so what kind of setup do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
JL Audio is also good, get two 12W3's and a 500/1 and you would be good to go!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I've got a 12" Pioneer Premiere, and it knocks pretty damn hard. It's louder than a lot of two-12 setups I've heard.

You might also want to look into a company called True Bass. I'm not sure if you've ever heard of them or not, but they make some great products, no joke. I was in the local car audio shop the other day while my brother was having his components installed, and the guy that owns the shop asked me if I wanted to hear something awesome. Of course I said yes, and headed out to his Chevy Cavalier. He turned it on and about blew me away. Then he opened up the trunk, and to my amazement, had two 8" subs inside. These two 8's were at least twice as loud as my 12. He said they also make 10" subs, but don't go any bigger than that. But trust me... The 8's hit like 12's and then 10's hit like 15's. It's crazy. I'm thinking of selling my 12 and using the money I get to buy one or two True Bass 10's.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
scftw said:
I've got a 12" Pioneer Premiere, and it knocks pretty damn hard. It's louder than a lot of two-12 setups I've heard.

You might also want to look into a company called True Bass. I'm not sure if you've ever heard of them or not, but they make some great products, no joke. I was in the local car audio shop the other day while my brother was having his components installed, and the guy that owns the shop asked me if I wanted to hear something awesome. Of course I said yes, and headed out to his Chevy Cavalier. He turned it on and about blew me away. Then he opened up the trunk, and to my amazement, had two 8" subs inside. These two 8's were at least twice as loud as my 12. He said they also make 10" subs, but don't go any bigger than that. But trust me... The 8's hit like 12's and then 10's hit like 15's. It's crazy. I'm thinking of selling my 12 and using the money I get to buy one or two True Bass 10's.

that sounds cool but i think i'd like to stick to tried and true name brands

i'll look into it though

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so update, i think i've decided to go with one 12 inch sub and get a 4 channel amp with built in crossover which i will use to send the his to my stock speakers and lows to the sub

i think i might go with the JL audo sub that kartunez pointed out

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
kartunez said:
JL Audio is also good, get two 12W3's and a 500/1 and you would be good to go!
Definitely go JL Audio. There's none better. I would say go 10s, but that's because I like sound quality, not just loud booms. Go to a car toys or a tweeter and listen to some of the JL subs to see what you need. I'm planning on a single 10w6 myself.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well wouldnt a 12 be just as clear as a 10 at the same volume?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
A 10 will give you cleaner, punchery bass so to say, where as a 12 will be close to that, but will hit deeper, i.e. harder. It is all in what you like, but do as S.C. suggest, go listen to both and see what you like. I have a wide range of JL equipment, so go to www.jlaudio.com and look at everything they got and there specs for the different subs and see what best fits the bill. I still think dual 12" would be perfect, and if you but them in a small enclouser, it will help keep the bass more punch than thud, if that is what you like. Easiest way is to ask, what do you listen to mostly?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i listen to Reggaeton mostly, it's basically hip hop, there's allot of bass in there, other than that, i listen to trance for the most part.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Well with that said, I would go with two 12's, but that is just me. See what some others think about it.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i listen to Reggaeton mostly, it's basically hip hop, there's allot of bass in there, other than that, i listen to trance for the most part.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
MoogLe said:
You double posted there!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea, damn isp was acting up, what can you do.

seems like the new mods are all over the place anyway so the double post didnt live very long :)

<--------------hmmm cool post count number 1,800 :3_rc5:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts