Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm no expert. I know what RMS, 2-4 channels, etc mean when it comes to amps.
However on my old sony amp I have features I'm not sure of what they do or how to use them properly. The amp of course has bass boost, which is a pretty obvious knob, turn it up for more bass. The others I'm questioning are the High pass and Low pass settings, as well as there are 4 knobs that have Hz on them. If I remember correctly the Hz is like from 0-120Hz measurements. I have my components hooked up to this 4channel amp, fronts w/seperate tweeters and 6x9's in back. (Stock Sub still hooked up w/stock amp)
My speakers specs are
Front 6"+1" tweeter, 91 sensitivity, 54-20 frequency response, 60-120watts
Rear 6x9 1" tweeter, 91.5 sensitivity, 47-20 frequency response, 75-150watts

My question is about the HZ and Pass.
What do they do ?
And what would settings sound good ?

·
Registered
437 Posts
the high pass and low pass are filters. The cut off the frequency so the speaker can play better. You use a low pass filter for subs (around 80-120) and a high pass filter for your highs (60-120). The HZ knobs are for the equalizer. You can adjust certian frequencies to smooth out the sound with these nobs.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
^ :3_withstu So, set yours to High and mess with the knobs at full volume until you get the best sound!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so I set both front and rears to High pass ?
Then play with the Frequency Hz knobs to make it sound the way I want right ?
Ok,,,,,so what will my ears hear with the different Hz measurements/what should I be listening for ?

·
Registered
437 Posts
ViolentB said:
so I set both front and rears to High pass ?
Then play with the Frequency Hz knobs to make it sound the way I want right ?
Ok,,,,,so what will my ears hear with the different Hz measurements/what should I be listening for ?
The higher the number the higher fq it will effect. You will hear them louder or lower depending on which way your turn it.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Yes, front and rears, and you will be listening for distortion. It will sound like it is crackeling or muffled, trust me you'll notice it. Just mess with them a lil bit at a time, but I bet you would have to adjust to much!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. Thanks guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts