Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Orlando, Oviedo to be specific. I own a red tib and want to do nightshading, but I am afraid to do it myself, and if it is leagal or not. Isnt the FLorida law 1000 feet of visibility? I want it to be dark, glossy and done right, so I plan to go to the shop. Is it possible to remain in the limits and still be dark? Thanks in advance. Please give any suggestions you guys got that have done it. I like Sean's red Tib, but I want it maybe a little darker. I know he took his to a shop. Maybe closer to NT.com COTM Ready2Plays's Tibby shade. I want it professionally done, and I am not doing it myself becase I dont wnat to screw up and have to by another set of tails.

·
Pete: The Man
4,366 Posts
It's not too hard. Mine were done on a set of Mussa clear tails. It's just like spray painting. you just do it gradually, and in light coats until you achieve your desired look. I used one can total. Then I had them proffesionally clear-coated. I haven't got in touble for mine. I just upgraded the bulbs to all red LED's, and nixed the corner lights. If you do that, you'll be able to see the lights no matter what, so I don't know how it would be illegal in any way??? they are stil DOT lights.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much was your cost? Florida law requires the tail light to be visible to a 1000 feet, otherwise a hefty ticket if the cop feels it is not visible enough.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
any tinted tails or headlights can get you a ticket...most cops don't care...I only got harrassed once for mine...you run more a risk with window tint honestlly...I just got a ticket for that a few weeks ago...

·
Registered
574 Posts
^^^ exactly. The tails are up to the officer's discretion. Even using sylvania SilverStar bulbs will help your chances of getting pulled, but it depends on how bored the cop is. Just use common sense with nightshading; keep a flashlight handy and shine through the lights after every coat. When you start getting nervous or worried about how the tails will shine through, STOP. If the lights are straight black in the daylight (no red tint) then you have probably gone too far.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
READY2PLAY said:
It's not too hard. Mine were done on a set of Mussa clear tails. It's just like spray painting. you just do it gradually, and in light coats until you achieve your desired look. I used one can total. Then I had them proffesionally clear-coated. I haven't got in touble for mine. I just upgraded the bulbs to all red LED's, and nixed the corner lights. If you do that, you'll be able to see the lights no matter what, so I don't know how it would be illegal in any way??? they are stil DOT lights.

Can you give me the price on the led bulbs and the cost of clearcoating?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
staw512 said:
50 bucks for a shop to clear coat em
What about those led bulbs? Any links?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anybody to tell me where and what kind of rear leds I am looking at?

·
Premium Member
5,501 Posts
I used 2 cans PER TAILLIGHT on my first set and didn't get hassled at all. They were real dark...as in BLACK. When I did my second set, I used 1 1/3 cans per taillight and had the shop professional clearcoat them--they looked stock! Of all the times these NY cops pulled me over, the taillights were never brought up. Not once!

I'd STRONGLY advise spending a few bucks to have a bodyshop add several layers of clearcoat after you tint them. If you do get hassled, just say your taillights came like that. The newer Chevy Trailblazer's taillights come that way straight from the factory....

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Hey i live in debary my buddy will do them for you for 50.00 bucks he lives in winterpark he did mine and they came out great no cops have hassled me yet.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sweet guys.....that is great help. I will take you up on your offer tibby03, just waiting on a back up set. I live in Oviedo by the way. But one more thing....what about better bulbs? I want someone to see my breake lights when I stop pretty well in the day time.

·
Registered
356 Posts
^^^ exactly. The tails are up to the officer's discretion. Even using sylvania SilverStar bulbs will help your chances of getting pulled, but it depends on how bored the cop is. Just use common sense with nightshading; keep a flashlight handy and shine through the lights after every coat. When you start getting nervous or worried about how the tails will shine through, STOP. If the lights are straight black in the daylight (no red tint) then you have probably gone too far.
Thanks for the flashlight tip. Makes much sense.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts