Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've seen the reboots happen with many cars. Looking like the old, but with new features.

Now the GK tib is not quite there yet but the trends can't be ignored. Supra Mk4 has skyrocketed. Integra, Silvia...most the old tuner cars you can think of are going wayyyy up in price.

Not only for engines, or ease of finding mods but that nostalgic look. To me a lot of new cars look the same. Tesla clones...etc. Zero personality anymore imo...

Now we go to Hyundai, the Veloster just sucked imo. Hyundai has 5 faster cars than the n line, 2 being electric SUVs and one that went into their own brand.

The Veloster died though Hyundai is extremely popular ATM (unlike in 08-09) because it was just ugly. I never heard complaints of the car that looked like a shark being ugly.

Imo bringing back the Tiburon, actually making it fast, and a good facelift with all the goodies would sell like hotcakes. It's just a more attractive car, the genesis coupe was head to toe almost a tib replica and it was so popular Genesis is their own brand now.

· Registered
934 Posts
I agree that many vehicles don't seem to have any personality anymore. My sister's 14 ford focus interior looks like it was built with one thing in mind, to be as cheap & easy to manufacture as possible. It's so uninspiring it's almost depressing. One of the things I've always liked about the tibs was the interior, I love the subtle silver accents & the way everything seems to have just the right amount of flair to stand out without looking gaudy. And don't get me started on the GK-F/L1 body style, it was love at first sight for me.

I personally wouldn't consider the genesis coupe a spiritual successor to the tib, they had completely different target audiences imo. The tib was more of a hot-hatch, a good looking car with tons of cargo space & a sporty suspension, but still decent in things like snow and hard to lose control of thanks to being FWD. the genesis coupe was more of a muscle car / sports car competitor, with bigger engines, more difficult to access trunk, non-existent back seats, and RWD severely limiting it's potential purposes. at least in my opinion.

I don't know how rebooting the tib would go. a lot of the charm of the tib would likely not be replicated with a reboot, as it would be a totally new car. one of the big things that kept me on the platform 3 times over was just how cheap replacement engines & transmissions are (and is the reason I'm willing to push the envelope these days). so what if you blow up an engine? just go to the junk yard and grab a new one for $350 and be on your way. now compare that to things like the gen coupe or subaru BRZ, where the engines & transmissions are literally more than 10X that amount.

· Registered
600 Posts
Idk I feel like Hyundai would ruin it in a way by making it electric or putting a theta engine in it . I personally don't really like the newer Hyundai's as much as the older ones . They definitely have some impressive cars now that are a lot better but yhe quality of Hyundai's are hit and miss now

· Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,454 Posts
Idk I feel like Hyundai would ruin it in a way by making it electric or putting a theta engine in it
Lol this couldn't be more true. The last thing I want is a GDI Theta in a Tiburon throwback car. I would love to see a modern version of the Tiburon but I absolutely do not want the modern GDI motors with all the problems they've been having with warrantying motors. I have seen a fanart concept in the last couple years but it was basically a 2door Sonata of the last generation with a little bit of sporty flair. It was OK at best.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

And then you have this... A 2023 hydrogen powered Tiburon concept. I don't think this does the Tiburon any justice. The rear fender vent signals a mid engine car but it's clearly not that.

Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Grille

Reactions: Rushking19

· Registered
130 Posts
The Veloster, like most coupes, is going away. Coupes just don't sell. Sad, but true. I have a 2019 Civic Si Coupe. Honda did away with the Civic Coupe after 2020. I think a better choice for Hyundai would be another Genesis Coupe type car. It would be more up market and could go against the Infiniti coupe or even the New Z or Supra, but cheaper. It just seems like most people buying the lower price point don't want coupes. I miss seeing all the 2 door models from the '90s and '80s

· Registered
3,270 Posts
Meh, don't see it happening. As Scottgas said above, coupes are a verrrrrrry small portion of the market. Even when the Tib was in full production I think it only accounted for about 5% of Hyundai's sales (at least here in the US). Heck, some automakers (Ford for example) have stopped making new sedans as well.

I could see something under the Genesis brand, but it would have to be hybrid or full electric for anyone to pay much attention these days. Aside from that I don't see Hyundai making any coupes anytime soon. As for those renderings above, just no. The top one could not be called anything but a Sonata coupe (bleh) and the bottom one looks like most any generic coupe produced for an unlicensed video game or whatever.

Hyundai did make the N Vision 74 concept, and I think they could sell a fair number to the right buyers, but so far I haven't heard anything too optimistic about putting it into production
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

· Registered
130 Posts
Meh, don't see it happening. As Scottgas said above, coupes are a verrrrrrry small portion of the market. Even when the Tib was in full production I think it only accounted for about 5% of Hyundai's sales (at least here in the US). Heck, some automakers (Ford for example) have stopped making new sedans as well.

I could see something under the Genesis brand, but it would have to be hybrid or full electric for anyone to pay much attention these days. Aside from that I don't see Hyundai making any coupes anytime soon. As for those renderings above, just no. The top one could not be called anything but a Sonata coupe (bleh) and the bottom one looks like most any generic coupe produced for an unlicensed video game or whatever.

Hyundai did make the N Vision 74 concept, and I think they could sell a fair number to the right buyers, but so far I haven't heard anything too optimistic about putting it into production
View attachment 139343
They could use the Genesis G70/Kia Stinger platform and shorten it. It already has an appropriate engine for a mid size coupe. It will never happen but it wouldn't be too hard for them.

People in general, even young kids stopped buying coupes. What does it say about young guys when they pick a 4 door model (because practical) over a better looking 2 door model? When I was 19 I bought an '85 Toyota MR2 as my daily. I didn't give 2 squirts about practicality at 19. It was my daily until I got married when I was 27.

· Registered
3,270 Posts
i still don't 😆
Me neither. I daily drove my first Tib even through having 2 kids, then traded it for a Pontiac GTO (which does have a larger back seat, but still a coupe). And I'm thinking of selling my current Tib now and getting a 2-seater. So yeah...

But, my wife does have a Santa Fe and I also have a Jeep Wrangler, so I don't really need my other cars to be practical anymore anyway.

· Registered
130 Posts
My wife and I have 1 child. He is 23 and in college. We have 4 vehicles. 2007 Nissan Xterra, my 2019 Civic Si Coupe, my son's 1996 Nissan 300ZX base, and my wife's '08 Tiburon Se. We only have 1 practical vehicle. The Civic does have a somewhat usable backseat. My wife, 4'11", fits fine back there. The sloped roof line prevents taller people in the back.
Oddly my son DID have a practical vehicle in high school. he had a 2006 VW GTI. Nice lil car but he LOVES his Z. Oddly, his Z is somewhat practice as it has a pretty big trunk for what it is. He fits a ton of crap in the car when going baack and forth to school.

· Registered
3,270 Posts
Oh yeah people fault the Tib for having a small trunk, but being a hatchback you can fit all kinds of stuff back there. Over the years I once hauled like 20 boxes of laminate flooring and another time a 40-gal water heater, among other things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts