Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Read Only
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm at that point in the clutch install where you have to get the tranny re-connected to the engine. Last time I did this, i got lucky after about 20 minutes of jacking/aligning, I just gave it a push and they went together. This time isn't working out as well. Anyone have any tips to get them back together?

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
So I'm at that point in the clutch install where you have to get the tranny re-connected to the engine. Last time I did this, i got lucky after about 20 minutes of jacking/aligning, I just gave it a push and they went together. This time isn't working out as well. Anyone have any tips to get them back together?
I dropped my trx 4x off the jack trying to tilt it and balance it to line up the input shaft, and the bell housing. I'm not sure if it helped, but I put a beaker bar on the crank pulley and turned it slightly, and then it lined up. It's frk'n sucks putting the trx on by yourself. I thought the line-up tool would prevent a lot of this, but I guess not if the splines aren't lined up.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
yes the trick is to take a couple LONG skinny screw driversand poke them through the bolt holes on the tranny, then slide them(albeit even at an angle) into the holes in the engine. then use the screw drivers to leverage the tranny holes to match the engine holes. If you are the slightest bit off of hole alignment it wont slide in. I think we used 3 or 4 screwdrivers to line up the holes on all the sides of the tranny. Afterwards when all the holes were lined up, we did have to turn the crank pulley one stroke, and then it slid right in.

Mike

·
Read Only
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes the trick is to take a couple LONG skinny screw driversand poke them through the bolt holes on the tranny, then slide them(albeit even at an angle) into the holes in the engine. then use the screw drivers to leverage the tranny holes to match the engine holes. If you are the slightest bit off of hole alignment it wont slide in. I think we used 3 or 4 screwdrivers to line up the holes on all the sides of the tranny. Afterwards when all the holes were lined up, we did have to turn the crank pulley one stroke, and then it slid right in.

Mike
THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I definitely think that approach will work with a bit of help from the gf.

·
Read Only
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got them remated last night, and was up until about 2:30 getting everything reinstalled. The battery was dead, so I jumped it, and now I can't get the car in gear. Turning out to be a pain in the ***.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
FYI, Martinolsen and I have done this a bunch of times, and we could get it to go together in about 5 minutes. I have a clutch alignment tool that I've cut down so it can be used with the release bearing installed on the pressure plate. He'd just take the rubber plugs out of the bellhousing, visually line up the clutch fork with the release bearing, and then we'd just jostle the trans around slightly until the input shaft splines and alignment dowels lined up. Having a few bellhousing bolts in your hand while you're doing this is a good idea, and the transmission has to be in neutral. Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
man, I"M getting frustrated from just reading this thread,

i feel your pain lol

·
Read Only
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FYI, Martinolsen and I have done this a bunch of times, and we could get it to go together in about 5 minutes. I have a clutch alignment tool that I've cut down so it can be used with the release bearing installed on the pressure plate. He'd just take the rubber plugs out of the bellhousing, visually line up the clutch fork with the release bearing, and then we'd just jostle the trans around slightly until the input shaft splines and alignment dowels lined up. Having a few bellhousing bolts in your hand while you're doing this is a good idea, and the transmission has to be in neutral. Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner.
Well that helps for next time, but hopefully there is no next time. Right now it's all back together, I just couldn't get the car in gear once I started it. I think i either need to rebleed the slave cylinder, or the TOB isn't seated properly. Once I got everything back together, I pulled the release arm and Ifelt/heard the TOB click into place, but something still isn't right. I am only getting about 1/4 inch of movement on the release arm when I depress the clutch pedal. I'm thinking possibly air in the lines, but any other ideas will be helpful in wrapping this up tonight.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Well that helps for next time, but hopefully there is no next time. Right now it's all back together, I just couldn't get the car in gear once I started it. I think i either need to rebleed the slave cylinder, or the TOB isn't seated properly. Once I got everything back together, I pulled the release arm and Ifelt/heard the TOB click into place, but something still isn't right. I am only getting about 1/4 inch of movement on the release arm when I depress the clutch pedal. I'm thinking possibly air in the lines, but any other ideas will be helpful in wrapping this up tonight.
Unless you disconnected the slave cylinder line, there shouldn't be any air in it. That's a very small system, and it just takes about a minute to bleed it.
I'm wondering if you didn't line up the release fork properly.

·
Read Only
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unless you disconnected the slave cylinder line, there shouldn't be any air in it. That's a very small system, and it just takes about a minute to bleed it.
I'm wondering if you didn't line up the release fork properly.
Yeah I was trying to bleed it myself, just not sure how good of a job I did without a bleeder kit. I'm not sure how the release fork wouldn't get lined up properly. I had put the TOB on the relase fork prior to installing the tranny. Once I mated the tranny to the engine and secured all the bolts, I jiggled the rod to make sure it wasn't binding or anything. Then I pulled on the rod and felt the TOB click into place on the pressure plate. Is there something else I should have done?

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Yeah I was trying to bleed it myself, just not sure how good of a job I did without a bleeder kit. I'm not sure how the release fork wouldn't get lined up properly. I had put the TOB on the relase fork prior to installing the tranny. Once I mated the tranny to the engine and secured all the bolts, I jiggled the rod to make sure it wasn't binding or anything. Then I pulled on the rod and felt the TOB click into place on the pressure plate. Is there something else I should have done?
That sounds right to me. Try bleeding it again once and see what happens.

·
Read Only
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That sounds right to me. Try bleeding it again once and see what happens.
I ran out of brake fluid, so I am going to stop by Autozone tonight and buy a bottle, as well as a self-bleeder kit to make the process easier. I also had bought a new slave cylinder a few weeks back, so I am going to install that as well (not that mine was bad, but more for good measure in case I needed it).

·
Read Only
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Something is still jacked up. I can't seem to get the car to start. I think the TOB didn't get seated properly, which is causing the starter to draw too much current because the transmission is locked in with the engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.