Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
434 Posts
well first of all you dont need back pressure. you need the correct exhaust velocity. You need to correcty size your exhaust pipe. You can either have a small pipe and get gains down low a large pipe and have gains up top or a medium pipe and get a little of both but not a lot on either end. It is all a trade off. You basically have a sliding scale and you cant have everything. You trade one for the other.

That being said, personally i think a 3" pipe is WAAAAY too big for a N/A 4cyl tiburon.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
backpressure is a myth..... it doesnt exist!!!!
Just kidding.
Seriously though, you must size your exhaust for the rpm and power level you wish it to be most suitable for.
a 2 1/4 inch exhaust makes more power at a lower RPM compared to a 2 1/2 inch exhaust because it causes less backpressure at that rpm NOT because a certain amount of backpressure is required for efficient operation.
And i have flow diagrams to support it from my fluid dynamics book (yes air is covered in that book too)
The problem is when velocity is too low you run into something called Turbulent flow, and this actually causes more backpressure than correctly sized piping.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Buying an exhaust from kspec or something else will probably cost about the same. And you know its quality. I would buy an exhaust unless you want to make one for a specific reason (different canisters, canisters in a different spot, ect).

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
U could probably have a single exhaust made for around 500 bux, that's a bunch cheeper than kspec's 700.

·
Banned
434 Posts
and how much do you think a QUALITY muffler will cost you shipped?

Personally when i do it this spring i am removing the charcol box in the back and putting a single inlet dual outlet large oval muffler instead of canister mufflers and using the stock midpipe/flanges. There is no real reason to make a new mid-pipe if you are going custom as you will be paying to make a copy of a piece that you already have.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
dude, your midpipe is restrictive, that's half the reason for doing your exhaust.
sure, yours will be louder than the stock unit........but its not gonna make more power.

·
Banned
434 Posts
JDOGG said:
dude, your midpipe is restrictive, that's half the reason for doing your exhaust.
sure, yours will be louder than the stock unit........but its not gonna make more power.

how exactly is the midpipe restrictive? it is a pipe from the cat to the muffler section of the car. it has 1 45-degree bend in it and a shallow upward curve.

also tell me what companies have designed a mid pipe that is any different from the stock unit? sure they have made some bigger ones. but they are all of the same design and follow the same tract. the BIGGEST restriction in the OEM exhaust system is the mufflers and the Y-pipe in the back. If you dont believe me go unbolt the rear section from the midpipe and take it off your car.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
antiquity said:
and how much do you think a QUALITY muffler will cost you shipped?

now why would you wanna start dragging muflers into this ?
he's buiding an exhaust for his tibby , not his grannys oldsmobile
(now im gonna get people saying that the olds 442 would sound better straightpiped then any tibby ever would but thats besides the point people)

get yerself a cherrybomb at yer local meiyer , 24,99 plus tax

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
heck yeah , their turbo2 mufflers rock , i had one on my dodge peeon and it was sweet
then i had the regular red ones on almost every other car i ever owned
cherrybombs rule qright5: <--- (cherry bomb)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Oh man .. I say he should go for it , i know its a bit of extra cash but y not .. if I was in the U.S and didnt have 2 go to the hassle of int shippment, I would have spent all my cash on my car and in a much more productive way :D

·
Registered
898 Posts
persiano_dubai said:
Oh man .. I say he should go for it , i know its a bit of extra cash but y not .. if I was in the U.S and didnt have 2 go to the hassle of int shippment, I would have spent all my cash on my car and in a much more productive way :D
3" exhaust is way too big for a N/A 4 cyl tib setup. It'll be loud, but thats all it really would be. He'd lose like all of his lowend power..... Just save up for a exhaust system thats made for the 2.0 or just go with a 2.25" single.

·
Banned
434 Posts
DarkSouledSRT said:
3" exhaust is way too big for a N/A 4 cyl tib setup. It'll be loud, but thats all it really would be. He'd lose like all of his lowend power..... Just save up for a exhaust system thats made for the 2.0 or just go with a 2.25" single.

the tiburon would only need a 3" exhaust if you were boosting and flowing a lot of CFM or if you made it rev up like an rx8 to around 10 grand. But you would have no low end and i still think even at a 10K redline you wouldnt have proper exhaust gas velocity with a 3"

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Falcon_w13 said:
a 3" would only benefit a turbo engine.. you should go with a 2 1/2 back or maybe even a 2 1/4. or your not going to have adequate back pressure..
i know i would only benefit from 3 for a turbo engine.. im turboing my engine.. thats why i want 3" piping.. lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts