Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is there anyone else running ripp pistons to date and how are things going?
Been running with RIPP pistons for over a year now. No problems to date on a stage 2 setup at about 16psi. I'd put a guess that I've got aprox 20k miles on these pistons.

Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been running with RIPP pistons for over a year now. No problems to date on a stage 2 setup at about 16psi. I'd put a guess that I've got aprox 20k miles on these pistons.

Could you give me a discription of install? Did you do it or did ripp or another shop do it? Are they the 9:5:1 pistons? I am in process of install and need to find all the info I can on installing them I dont want to have to go back in. ALso are you running stock rods? How are you running 16psi where did you get that pulley?Belt? How is your auto trans holding up? lol That is all I can think of now,. May have more questions later.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Could you give me a discription of install? Did you do it or did ripp or another shop do it? Are they the 9:5:1 pistons? I am in process of install and need to find all the info I can on installing them I dont want to have to go back in. ALso are you running stock rods? How are you running 16psi where did you get that pulley?Belt? How is your auto trans holding up? lol That is all I can think of now,. May have more questions later.
Josh i got your message just a few moments ago but my phone did not ring it must be when you called?

If you want you can try me tomorrow morning or PM me...I hopefully will be able to answer the questions you still have

Tom C.

Btw. 5k miles on mine and counting. No problem! Oh, and Geobaldi has RIPP headers and a stage 2 (2 inch) pulley that's why he makes 16, i did the same thing when i had that setup on my car

·
Registered
355 Posts
There Endyne/Weisco Pistons BTW... and I have herd nothing but amazing things from em. Its not ripp making em so u know there good. Just like our blower. Also not made by Ripp and is awesome as well. ;) lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok, will try to answer all of them :)

Dunno anything about installing them as I had RIPP do all the work (sorry)
They are the 9.5 :1 pistons
Stock rods (although I believe all internals were replaced with new stock parts when I did this)
16 psi cause of RIPP headers and stage 2 pully on an automatic tranny
Auto trans holding up.... heck I''m still shocked that the transmition hasn't blown up yet. However I do have a trans cooler that does help in that reguard.

·
Registered
464 Posts
BWAHAHAHA lmao

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
a smartass toward ripps piston being a "drop in" because ngm claims there is no such thing right>??? Just have heard that so just seeing if I caught it? So are you saying the pistons suck or that they are just not drop in?

·
Registered
464 Posts
drop in pistons would not be good because the cylinder wall has already been scored

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
drop in pistons would not be good because the cylinder wall has already been scored
Well not as good as the oversize. Oversize is more costly to install because they have to bore the cylinder walls, but the benefits are stated above pretty much.

I was just being a smartass because some people use to say they're "drop in" and make it seem like install of these are very easy to do.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I have the block completly out of the car and on a stand and bought new rod bearings crank bearings and the cylinder is right at stock bore exept one is off a tad and it will be wet honed prior to install. Any advice for installing these though so it is right that is what I am looking to get out of this forum.

Well not as good as the oversize. Oversize is more costly to install because they have to bore the cylinder walls, but the benefits are stated above pretty much.

I was just being a smartass because some people use to say they're "drop in" and make it seem like install of these are very easy to do.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

You a smartass? Now way? ...lol... :3_puh2:

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts
Forged pistons are not just drop ins. You can but you also need to upgrade other parts in the rotating assembly or problems WILL arise..

And I am being soooooper serial

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You say upgrade other parts as in what? ANd what problems will arise?

Forged pistons are not just drop ins. You can but you also need to upgrade other parts in the rotating assembly or problems WILL arise..

And I am being soooooper serial

1 - 20 of 46 Posts