Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Retired Staff | Track Rat
9,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to talk to someone (preferably in North America) who has purchased and installed the SFR Stage 1 turbo kit.

I spoke with kdmguy and he said a few have been sold to N/A, but I have a couple of questions that need answering, mainly about the install.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
^^^^^^^ i couldn't agree more!!!!
WE MAKE MORE POWER PER LITER!!!!
So what if the bottle of cola sitting next to me has as much displacement as my tib!
I still lover her just as much!!!!

·
9,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
OK, kdmguy has answered a lot of my questions in the SeoulfulRacing forum, so I figured I'd post the info up here, considering I'm sure a lot of other people probably have similar questions.....

seoulfulracer said:
Hello
You do not have to worry about ECU tune
We have all kinds of datas for cars with little different setups, but we use the safest data for our turbo kit to be reliable.
Your car will run just fine with our replacement ECU with all the components in our kit. You do not need any piggyback ECU or AFC tuners since we gaurantee you it's a just waste of money.
Thanks

Gamz said:
Thanks for the reply and the answers, I really appreciate it.

I know you get a lot of questions on the ECU tune, so I'll try not to ask a repetitive question... but how exactly do you tune the ECU for the turbo application so that it's the right tune? Do you have a general program for the Stage 1 that you give, or is it somehow specific to the customer you're selling it to?

And finally, if for some reason the ECU is not tuned properly, or my car runs too rich/lean, I'm guessing that I could not go to a tuning shop for a fine tune, I would have to send you back my ECU to get the program adjusted... is this correct? Or could I pick up an SAFC or other piggyback and adjust it myself... is this something you would recommend?

I know that the key to running a turbo setup safely and with stability is all in the tune, so this is really key for me. It's exactly like you said, I can't afford to have the car run like s*** after paying so much money. And being in Canada, I would be without a car while I wait for a new ECU tune from Korea....

Thanks for your time,
Chris

seoulfulracer said:
Gamz said:
Hey man,

I'm ready to buy a turbo kit, and I like yours much, much better than the Alpine kit. I just have a quick question about your Stage 1 turbo kit. Have you sold any to anyone in North America yet? I'm only asking because I'm in Canada, and unfortunately I don't have the resources to boost a Hyundai that are probably in Korea.
Yes, we have sold few to Notrh America.
If you go to any performance shop they will be able to do it, but remember to have it done at reliable place.
If they can do honda they could do hyundai no problem.
Our kit is super easy to install by experienced machanic so you do not have to worry about that

Gamz said:
The description says it's fully bolt-on... but what size is the downpipe?
Downpipe size is all different.
stage 1 uses 63mm and the rest uses 76mm

The other question I had is for the ECU. I'm guessing it's as simple as removing the stock ECU, mounting the SFR ECU, and using the same harness and just plug it in? Or does it require wiring modifications?
No, it's plug and play
Simple

I'm basically trying to gauge how difficult the install is, and whether I can do it or have to get a shop to do it for me. The only problem is no shops around me in Ottawa have any experience with Hyundai's.
I do not know how experienced you are but we only suggest have them installed at reliable shop or machanic.
You are talking about 3500$+ here you dont want to have your car run like s%%% after spending that much money

Let me know
Thanks

·
Registered
498 Posts
about the downpipe size... when I asked him on the SFR forum about the sizes, he said they're all 3" for all of the kits stage1-2 super.

"Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:31 pm Post subject:
they are all 3" pipings to maximize the exhaust flow."

don't know if we asked the same thing or not...

·
9,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
about the downpipe size... when I asked him on the SFR forum about the sizes, he said they're all 3" for all of the kits stage1-2 super.

"Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:31 pm Post subject:
they are all 3" pipings to maximize the exhaust flow."

don't know if we asked the same thing or not...
We did ask the same question.

He's saying to me that the Stage 1 kit is 63mm piping (2.5") and the Stage 1 Super is 76mm piping (3").

·
Registered
498 Posts
pretty sure none of the turbo kits work with automatic CVVT tibs (05+). They'll work with autos that don't have CVVT.
I don't know the reason exactly, but I'm positive it has something to do with ECU tuning.

oh, and I'll be waiting for the V6 kit since the dealer low-balled me with the trade-in.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
pretty sure none of the turbo kits work with automatic CVVT tibs (05+). They'll work with autos that don't have CVVT.
I don't know the reason exactly, but I'm positive it has something to do with ECU tuning.

oh, and I'll be waiting for the V6 kit since the dealer low-balled me with the trade-in.
I got an 04 cvvt auto and from what i got as info from my local shop it's not an issue.

but after they finished with my tib - it won't be MAF or CVVT anymore - as so for the tranny, i think they have something up their sleves that tjeir not telling me yet :)

thanks for the reply.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.