Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My original plan was to do the basic I/h/e but with all these people getting rid of their headers and reverting to stock I'm wondering what is going on?

Is the heat from the headers to much or do they not make a whole lot of difference?

I saw they make you run straight pipe, while I'll enjoy the 300-400 dollars for the cats and extra HP I'll also feel bad letting pure crud into the air.

So really on the fence here but my original question in paragraph one stands

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I wouldn't say there are a lot going back to stock. The cars before 07 and especially before 05 had less sensitive O2 sensors, so you could get away with headers without throwing a CEL. When I bought my 07 it had headers and had a constant CEL as a result. It didn't really affect drivability, but I hated having the light on all the time and not knowing if it came on for another reason. They also made my car obnoxiously loud on cold starts and routine driving. Not sure if this is universal or just for these headers in combo with my aftermarket exhaust.

So I removed mine and sold them. The other problem with mine is one of the primaries was resting right against the alternator. I wrapped it but still worried about heat to the alternator. Previous owner said he went through several alternators (go figure) but I don't think this is common with better quality headers.

And yes I do notice a slight drop in throttle response, but for me personally the positives of no CEL, no worries with the alternator, and quieter exhaust outweigh that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah okay so I'm not building a "race car" per say I just want something fast off the line that won't really kill the longevity of the engine. Headers seem like one of things that will add a ton more heat and are more for someone looking to push their top speed than acceleration.

I also as said before not very excited to have no cats. Also yes CEL sucks, with an older car like mine id rather not trigger that.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Yours likely wouldn't have the CEL issue, or could be easily solved by plugging the holes and hanging the O2 sensors out in fresh air or buying some "non-foulers" to trick the readings.

Other than that the other potential drawbacks I mentioned apply to all Tibs.

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,068 Posts
Headers are worth it. You pickup a lot of power from headers alone. You can keep engine bay temps down if you wrap your headers with heat wrap. People say not to wrap headers because they trap moisture and cause rust, but I wouldn't worry about that with $100 stainless ebay headers.

The people you see reverting to stock usually have to because they are selling the car, received a fixit ticket or moved to a state that require physical inspections.

Reactions: 03tibgts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Headers are a real good improvement for performance on these engines. With full i/h/e and a good tune you can get close to 200whp all motor. I wish I had a set of Headers to play around with for my N/A set up but I'll just have to try that another time. I got Headers for something else though .

·
Registered
2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT
397 Posts
If you have an FL2 (07-08) you better enjoy staring at a check engine light all the time.

I think it's worth it, if you get some quality headers and/or you're not already straight piped.

Reactions: Rushking19
1 - 7 of 7 Posts