Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Are SPEC clutches safe now?

538 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Fullblowntib 
#1 ·
I can get a good price on the SPEC Stage 4 clutch setup. It'll be paired to a lightweight clutchmasters flywheel if I am to buy it.

I've been reading horror stories back in the earlier days about the clutch, however, I had a SPEC stage 3 on my LS1 Z28 and I never had any problems.

How's their quality control now?

#2 ·
People with a SPEC clutch that havn't had any problems are going to say they are great, people that have had problems are going to hate them... so, it's hard to say what the outcome of this question will be..

The main problem with our clutch is they are so small, even good clutch builders have a hard time getting enough strength in such a small surface area... that goes for all clutch builders. Comparing a small block clutch to a hyundai clutch is like apples and oranges... The small block clutch has a lot of surface area, and a lot of strength - and normally is only asked to handle the same amount of horsepower these little Hyundai clutches are... ( of course the torque is much higher) so...

In the end, you can get a SPEC clutch and see if it will hold up to what you have done... I run the clutchmaster myself, and it grabs like no ones business - but I have seen burned up SPEC clutches on near stock motors, and I have seen them holding up to some major horsepower.. I guess it all boils down to luck...

#3 ·
I was really considering a clutchmaster setup but I decided to Try out South Bend Clutches due to overwhelming recomendation from others. So we'll see. I just want a damn clutch to be durable and last.

#7 ·
I've been running a stg3 Spec clutch and Fidanza FW for 20k miles with a 125 shot zex system and I fill 5 bottles a month and it's been a descent setup no slipping and good hard engagement , now I'm going to a stg4 SMT clutch with my new motor and trans, I agree with Unholy about the clutch preferences . I think it all comes down to the driving ability and style and driving situations :3_nosthum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.