Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Slortchus Maximus Non-Adminus
7,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I guess since the past COTM winners started by losing their previous car to an accident, I will too. It all began when I turned sixteen and started driving a 1988 Oldsmobile Century. Just over a year later… BOOM! Accident. I was car less for a while and finally got another car, my grandfather 1982 Buick LeSabre. Once I went away to college, we gave it too the Salvation Army and I picked up another craptacular Oldsmobile, a 1999 Cutlass to be exact. As soon as the warranty was up after two years of driving it, the engine crapped out. Head gaskets needed to be replaced along with $1600.00 worth of other repairs. A year after that it was another $1400.00 in repairs. At this point I decided I needed to sell the car and get another.

I looked around at some used second generation Eclipses but nothing fancied me. Then at the 2001 North American Auto Show I saw the Tiburon and was blown away. I couldn’t believe something so good looking was made by Hyundai. Unfortunately it was up on a platform and all I could do was see the outside. A couple of months went by (in which during that time my future car was born on 01/04/2002) and I actually forgot about the Tiburon. Then in April 2002 I saw a commercial for it and went to the dealership and test drove one. First the i4 then the v6 and I was in love with it. On 04/27/2002 I bought the last black 2003 Tiburon with the sport package #3 in Ohio. I was the first Tiburon that I saw on the road for months.

The mod bug didn’t bit until later that year when I installed the AEM cold air intake and I loved it. The way it hissed at idle and the way it growled under acceleration. I remember pulling out of a parking lot with a whole bunch of 15 year olds walking by and one of them saying “Oooooo, turbo.” I wish, hell at that time I don’t believe there was any kind of F/I kits out there and I don’t even think I discovered Newtiburon yet.

The next mod bug that hit wasn’t until the following spring when I got one of the last exhausts from KORE before they disappeared. Following that came NGM headers in November which took two people 12 hours with all the WRONG tools to install it. After it was all said and done, it was one of the most satisfying mods I have done to date. It’s a little on the loud/deafening side, but it sounds great. After that came the rest of my modifications… slowly over the course of the remaining two years.

To date, I have gone to all the Hyundai sponsored S3 events. The first one was in 2003 up at the Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit, MI. Needless to say that there were a lot of haters in the crowd. Nothing like driving an import in a domestic car show… Next up a year later was the Triple Crown Tuner Challenger in 2004 and again in 2005 and 2006. It was this past year’s event that really revitalized my love for my Tiburon after months and years of rattles and creaks. Each year has been a blast and I hope that there will be more to come.

Modifications:
AEM CAI
KORE Exhaust
NGM Full Urethane Mount Kit
NGM Headers
NGM Stage III Upper and Lower IMs
Mafterburner Fuel Tuner
Phenolic Intake Spacer
Eibach Pro-Damper Struts
Espelir Lowering Springs
Progress Rear Anti-Sway Bar
RRM Front and Rear Strut Bars ADR Wheels
A-Piller Three Gauge Pod
Aluminum Vent Rings
Corbeau 3-Point Harness
Custom Shifter Plate
GT Wing
OEM Dead Pedal
StreetGlow Gold Series Red Neons
Tuscani Emblems
Tuscani Door Sills

As of right now, I am happy with the way she is (of course she still needs some more oomph in power division but that can be fixed). With the purchase of a new 2006 Yamaha R6S, my wedding and honeymoon coming up I have no money for any more upgrades anytime soon. Hopefully, I would like to install mild cams in the somewhat near future and eventually either the Alpine S/C kit made pretty by TC or TC’s Stealth Turbo kit. Of course, with the wedding 71 days away I might have to get responsible and get a car that more geared towards a family consisting of more than two people… I’m thinking G35 Coupe……

Congrats Me?!!!

And once again from our awesome site sponser Turbo Wax, I? will receive:

1) 4oz Turbo Wax Paint Protection
1) 4oz Turbo Wax Pre Wax Cleanser
1) 4oz Turbo Wax Tire Gel
1) 4oz Turbo Wax 3 Amigos
1) 4oz Turbo Wax Last Minute Detailer
1) 4oz Turbo Wax Car Shampoo
1) Applicator

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Good job man! Congrats you? Nice ride!

-BRR

·
Slortchus Maximus Non-Adminus
7,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And just to let everyone know, out of the nominees...... it was a very very very close call and no I did NOT vote for myself.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Great work! I like it!

-BRR

(Damn double posts....)

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Congratulations ! Your car's so hot ! Keep it up ! :) :) :)

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
congradulations to yourself...well deserved!

·
Registered
294 Posts
nice!!! love the whole black on black theme..... wish mine was black.... congrats and well deserved....

·
Registered
201 Posts
DAmn your tib looks nice

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Congratulations Ryloth :3_smile: I think your tib is big enough for you,your future wife and two kids,at least until they aren't to big :3_bier:
Stick to it as long as you can man.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
This contest is rigged....haha but congrats anyway man nice ride.

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts
Looks awesome. Black on black FTW

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.