Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This DIY is for installing auto light on your 2002-2008 Tiburon using genuine Hyundai parts which are sold online e.g. at Ebay. This is a nice premium feature to install on your car and it is very easy to do so. Since genuine parts are being used i assume that in some parts of the world this was a standard/optional feature. All I know that it is not a standard feature in The Netherlands...

When the switch is set to auto light, it will automatically detect how much light there is in the surroundings. If it is dark it will automatically switch your lights on, if there is enough light, it will automatically switch off again. This also works when you are driving in tunnels etc. There are some build in delays

Required skills: You need to be able to handle a screw driver, aka its a simple job!
Time needed: Depending on your skills to remove the dummy sensor, you should be able to do this in 30 minutes.
Tools needed: Philips screw driver (+) and 2 small flat screw drivers (-).
Part numbers: Auto light lever 934252C150, sensor 951002C000
Price: I paid $70,- for the lot on ebay (link)

Lets start :wrenchin:

1. Buy the parts. The set I bought included the steering wheel lever/switch unit, the auto light sensor, and a piece to wiring harness (which i eventually didn't need).

2. You now need to remove the dummy sensor to be able to place the actual auto light sensor. I found this the most difficult part as it is in a narrow location. The dummy is located at the passenger side at the front wind screen. Take the two small screwdrivers and pop it out. If anyone has a better solution, please advise :3_koning:

3. When you got the dummy sensor out, it is attached to the original wiring harness (well, in my car that was the case. If you don't have the original wiring, make sure you buy it). Simply click the connector out of the dummy sensor and click it into the auto light sensor that you bought. When this is done (see picture below), you can push it back in the dash.

4. Now remove the parts of the dash at the drivers side.

4A. Start with the panel above the pedals, two + screws marked red in the picture. Once the screws are removed you can pull the panel towards you. It is mounted with a click system.

4B. Now remove the small panel under and on top of the steering wheel column. This is fitted with 3 + screws in the bottom part marked red in the picture. The two parts are also clicked into each other. The split is marked in the other picture below. It probably needs some wiggling around. I found it helpful to adjust the steering wheel height in order get some space. Please note that i took the photo afterwards, so you don't see the panel from step 4A removed in the picture below.

4C. Once removed it looks like this:

5. Unplug the connector that is plugged into the light switch lever.

6. Remove the lever by removing the two + screws, marked red in the picture.

7. Now take the auto light lever and mount it with the two screws you removed in step 6.

8. Connect the connector that you unplugged in step 5.

9. Test if it all works as it supposed to be. You can fake dark/light by covering the sensor or by using a flash light and shine into the sensor. Be reminded that there is a delay so it won't switch instantly. You want the delay other wise your lights will be switch with every bridge that passes over you...

10. Fit the panels back into place.

Job done:3_bdaybig

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Re: Auto light

Good DIY, haven't seen this before, might actually do this one :p

Good pictures too. If you want to add the Hyundai part #'s for the light sensor and switch I think it would be beneficial :)

·
ERMAHGERD, ERM AH MERD!
3,424 Posts

Very interesting, I wonder which part of the world actually gets the auto feature. Probably Korea.

·
Registered
343 Posts

Great DIY, this is a very useful one that can be a pain if you had the problem

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thnx guys.

I've added the price, link and part numbers in the original post.

·
Registered
299 Posts

Hey thanks! I was just thinking about a mod like this a few days ago, I forget to turn on/off all the time it seems because I rarely drive when it's questionable but with all this snow I am needing my lights haha.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts

excellent writeup. thanks much, just may do this in the spring. hope i dont get in trouble for mentioning that the link to where you bought the parts just happens to be one of our members. he is an excellent seller and very helpful. ( he can help with special requests too.)

·
Registered
19 Posts

This is exactly what I was looking for. This should also work on an '02 Elantra right? I can't check to see if it has the dummy sensor right now, it's in the shop.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Amazing job, this should be automatic with no reflash of the CPU ?
it seems the logic is in the switch itself so there's no need for any re flashing, just change the parts and enjoy. it also doesn't cause any problems if you have an aftermarket alarm system that blinks the parking lights when you lock or unlock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, I’m based in the UK and have done this however I seem to have a problem. I have what we call here the SIII which is a 2008 tiburon/GK/FL2, I’ve swapped the dimmer switch to one from a 2005 GK/FL. The sensor works and is detecting the change in light/dark, when it’s dark the interior lights turn on, tail lights, license plate lights turn on, front side lights (501) turn on but the headlights won’t come on. I’ve had this problem for over a year, all lights work when on the new stalk on the normal side light setting and dipped beam setting, just not on the auto setting.

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,

Jake

1 - 18 of 18 Posts