Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Full Review

In between the 9000-rpm ultra-whine of a Honda four and the thumping roar of a mighty domestic V8 lies the humble V6-powered Hyundai Tiburon.

Face-lifted and chassis-stiffened for 2007, the Tiburon offers a choice for those who can’t decide between the Ford Mustang GT and the Honda Civic Si. Ha ha, you laugh, as if there are any cross shoppers between those groups. But wait, Hyundai sells about 20,000 or so Tiburons a year, so maybe there are a few.

With stiffer bars and springs front and rear, the Tiburon gets even more competitive this year. Roll stiffness is up 45 percent at the front end and 17 percent in back.

The engines carry over, but they’re good engines. The 2.7-liter dohc 24-valve V6 still makes 172 hp at 6000 rpm and 181 lb-ft of torque at 3800. And it offers 19 mpg city and 27 highway, too.

The aging 2.0-liter four Beta engine cranks out 138 hp at 6000, 136 lb-ft at 4500, thanks to continuously variable valve timing and a few other modern amenities.

Hyundai lists Tiburon competition as the Civic Si, which has more peak horsepower at 197 but gets it way the heck up there at 7800 rpm. Not only is the V6 Tiburon’s peak lower, at 6000 rpm, it also has a torque peak of 181 at 3800 rpm vs. the Civic Si’s lowly 139 torque peak at 6200 rpm.

Of course, the Mustang kicks Tiburon’s tail with 210 hp and 240 lb-ft of torque from the 4.0-liter V6. The 4.6-liter V8 Mustang makes 300 hp and 320 lb-ft.

So the Tiburon’s wonderfulness all depends on how you look at it.

Top speed is 137 mph, though, enough to get most people’s attention.

There are three transmission choices, five- and six-speed manuals and a four-speed automatic.

We drove a V6-powered Tiburon on some nice roads in the Santa Monica Mountains and had fun. It sticks well and powers around corners like a mini muscle car. And with a sales goal of only 18,000 in 2007, you won’t see yourself at all the drive-ins.

There are three models: the base GS, a “refined-performance” GT and performance-oriented SE. Why is the performance model called the SE and not the GT? Who knows? Must have been lost in the translation from the original Korean.

Tiburon prices start at $17,195 for a GS model with four-cylinder and manual trans; a GT runs around $19,895. The SE starts at $22,595. All prices include destination charge.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
finally some praise from one of these auto reviewers...I was getting tired of everyone slagging on Hyundais in general

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Hyundai are finally up there with the big boys!

·
Registered
166 Posts
MC412 said:
the Tiburon offers a choice for those who can’t decide between the Ford Mustang GT and the Honda Civic Si.
haha thats where i was, i wanted a used mustang gt but every kid at school had one and i like the look of the tib better than both. plus i would rather beat these cocky kids in a hyundai!

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
Atleast somebody is starting to get it. I still hear people say that there is no aftermarket for Hyundai's and that you cant make them that much faster. People Oviously don't have a clue

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Hyundai FTW !!! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts