Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured i'd make a thread to try and keep whatever info we come across for this conversion.

Gotta figure out how to post pics, i'm way out of the loop with this new forum layout.

Anyway, on to some info:
For those of you interested in attempting this swap, asking how much... buy a used awd santa fe, and tear it apart, replace whatever needs to be replaced, and custom make whatever else you dont have... make up a fucking number and move on. I don't ask you nor do i care how much you spend on your ********. finding out how much all this **** "costs" is half of the research. Jus because there is going to be a thread dedicated to a awd conversion, doesnt mean the knowledge will jus magically show up in your head. This is a level of understanding anf research and studying/ know how to do this ****... AND GUESS WHAT, YOU CAN DO IT YOURSELF! (most of it).

Taking a 2003 v6 (delta), and attempting to convert it to AWD. With the 3.5 sigma.
I'm trying to kill two birds with a bunch of rusty korean metal.

Engine is on the way, Going to pick up the trans right now.

NEW TRANS going into the tib:
(used) 5 speed automatic, with transfer case. Still looking for an affordable rear differential.
What i found out during my research is that the KIA SORENTO, and AMANTI share the same sigma base. The Sorento, and Amanti apparently were both offered with 5 speed transmissions. If you want a manual, you will probably want to look into one of those applications. The Sorento had an AWD option i believe, so its possible to make a RWD tib using (mostly) hyundai parts. ( in theory!). We are gonna find out together jus how well this theory will take shape in reality.

Engine - Trans - Transfer case - front axles - front suspension spindles (from a 3.5l awd santa fe) - rear suspension spindles (from a 3.5l awd santa fe) - wiring harness(mine from 3.5l santa fe) - ecu/ecm from the matching engine application (in my case a 3.5l awd santa fe) - rear axles -

Suspension/ struts i am currently figuring out. Since i have the santa fe suspension spindles, i need the matchign struts, because the tiburon strut mounting area is too narrow to fit the santa fe knuckle. With the lower santa fe suspension knuckle, i would then need the upper, and shocks to mount to the body of the tiburon. I am currently talking to ksport to see if they can do this kit for e, if they can't i will probably get a santa fe coilover set up, and try and frankenstein something using an old tib coilover kit. Control arms, and all that i'm not going to be able to figure out till it's mocked up.

No idea how much room the "trans"/ exhaust tunnel the tib has in comparison to the drive shaft (i need the transfer case/ axles and trans mocked up, that'll be in a few days once all the parts come in).

Obviously i'll update as i go, any questions and info feel free to post up. we are gonna learn and do this together!

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know they have a manual awd Santa fe right?
looks like i ordering another trans! I have 2 tib shells, and one being put together. I'm doing some research on the sorento rwd drive train. possibly make one sheel awd, the other rwd.

I am having a difficult time tracking down a set of coilovers. Reached out to ksport directly, and they arent even sure if they can do a half and half kit, i think theyre nervous it failing and making their product/ comapny name look bad lol.

tomorrow a bunch more parts come in. really looking forward to mocking things up and seeing the dimensions of everythign.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yeah there is a 2.7l Santa fe with awd thats manual which should bolt up to the 3.5 sigma , i though about going tge sane route for awd in the future but I ended up just deciding to used a evo transmission with an adapter plate because you can get parts for the evo trans like dog gears and straight cut gears

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah there is a 2.7l Santa fe with awd thats manual which should bolt up to the 3.5 sigma , i though about going tge sane route for awd in the future but I ended up just deciding to used a evo transmission with an adapter plate because you can get parts for the evo trans like dog gears and straight cut gears
i feel you. I'm trying to use as much hyundai parts as i can. If an awd santa fe conversion is possible, a rwd sorento swap is def possible. sorento engine is a lil different than the santa fe 3.5. Still waiting to hear back from a few shops/ fabrication places, and more parts to come in. Thought i would have had the engine in from shipping already; but they are really dragging their feet, prob wont see it till next week.

·
Registered
256 Posts
i feel you. I'm trying to use as much hyundai parts as i can. If an awd santa fe conversion is possible, a rwd sorento swap is def possible. sorento engine is a lil different than the santa fe 3.5. Still waiting to hear back from a few shops/ fabrication places, and more parts to come in. Thought i would have had the engine in from shipping already; but they are really dragging their feet, prob wont see it till next week.
Thats nice

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am having trouble find the bolts i need to mate the engine and trans/ transfer case together. Do they have a specific name? Transmssion to engine bolts are the only thing that comes up?

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gonna be trying to take the bushings out of the subframe, are there any companies arounf that still offer suspension bushings for the tib? I have not found much luck searching around lately.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, spoke to the freight place, and the engine should be here friday, possibly monday the latest.

I am also having a very difficult time tracking down a transmission that will be compatible with the 2.7l i am building.
The kia sportage (07-10) used the 2.7l delta, and had a 5 speed awd manual transmission; but i cant find oen anywhere. everything i come across is an automatic.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you're the man. I really gotta get some pics up. Spoke to Kspec today again, and they don't think they can help with a "custom kit" but can help with whatever sort of advice/ insight/ knowledge. So i'm trying to find a local fabricator who can take the coilovers i ripped off one of the parts cars, and have the mounting brackets fit for the santa fe knuckles.
For now i jus need something to get the car on the ground, and to test fitment/ clearance issues. I can work on putting together a full custom kit as we go on with the build.

One issue i was made aware of is; the possibility of real tight clearance issues for the rear knuckle/ axle/ lower portion of the coilover and rear control arm. But im pretty sure im going to have to retro fit/ customize a santa fe rear k-frame/ suspenion assembly; to be able to house all the drivetrain components. And if that is the case, the rear shocks/ struts/ springs are a very different set up.

Really hoping to get the engine/ trans mocked up and test fit.
had a set of XG350 calipers, and r1concepts rotors from years ago, when i was going to swap in the poor mans bbk (into one of the previous parts cars, before it became a parts car).
The xg350 calipers/ rotors seem to match well with the santa fe knuckle. I need the proper sized bolts to mount the calipers to the knuckle (need help finding that part number, or if anyone knows off the top of their head)

Also i took one of the parts cars' subframe, and suspension parts, and burning out all the bushings. Including the subframe's. Been searching around for someone/ a shop that can make us some solid, and poly bushings. Cutting the subframe bushings out is no joke. Those aluminum casings are a *****.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
small update:

for one of the 2.7l deltas im rebuilding; I recently found a broken valve cover bolt set with jb weld, and...****.... plus i sthink the timing is off on this engine. I tried getting the timing marks to line up, and theyre all off by 2 or 3 teeth. Really not thrilled about this.

This engine is pulled and out of the car, no power running to it, any tips on how i should get the timing back in order? Watched every video i can find on youtube, and everyones process seems a bit different. I'm no mechanic, learning as i go.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rotated the crank again, got the front head/ cam and the crank lined up on their timing marks, but it seems the rear head/ cam is off by 3 teeth.

·
Registered
256 Posts
small update:

for one of the 2.7l deltas im rebuilding; I recently found a broken valve cover bolt set with jb weld, and...****.... plus i sthink the timing is off on this engine. I tried getting the timing marks to line up, and theyre all off by 2 or 3 teeth. Really not thrilled about this.

This engine is pulled and out of the car, no power running to it, any tips on how i should get the timing back in order? Watched every video i can find on youtube, and everyones process seems a bit different. I'm no mechanic, learning as i go.
As I remember the way I do it is make sure there is no slack on the bank 2 side of the belt and as you're setting it around bank 1 put the bank 1 camshaft 1 tooth clockwise slightly off so that when you pull the pin in the tensioner abd it pulls the slack out tgen the camshaft gear will go back 1 tooth and be perfectly in time

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As I remember the way I do it is make sure there is no slack on the bank 2 side of the belt and as you're setting it around bank 1 put the bank 1 camshaft 1 tooth clockwise slightly off so that when you pull the pin in the tensioner abd it pulls the slack out tgen the camshaft gear will go back 1 tooth and be perfectly in time
yeah, i saw a few people point that out in the videos i watched.

In another video (of a different engine), the mech said to readjust the cam that is off timing, i have to open the valve covers, and untorque the cam holders(forget their proper name) in the proper order from factory; turn the cam to the position it is supposed to be in, and then retorque the cam back down.

BUT i plan on puttin some new heads in. And might as well get some cams done too while i have it cracked open.
Would it be smart for me to get the cam's timing readjusted NOW, or when i put the new heads on? i Do not mind doing it now, i jus wanna make sure im not gonna be doing (potential damage) to anything.

The head that has the broken valve cover bolt in it, and the valve covered have JB weld all over the seams. I'm fucking nervous to look inside. lol.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
heres a cool bit of info i found StackPath and apparently tib trans are the same as evo trans?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts