Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
i used this video to tear down the 4sp auto i had pulled from one of the parts cars.
This guy is very knowledgeable, make breaking down a trans pretty easy, theres a ton of parts, so stay organized. I plan on bringing this trans to level ten to get bullet proofed. Also trying ot find a suitable trans on ebay/ local scrap yards for the swap

the 3rd tib ( there are trechnically 3 different projects going on at once) will probably be getting a sorento 5 speed trans, sorentos, like mentioned earlier have rwd and awd options. I will probably attempt a rwd conversion on that last tib, jus for ***** and giggles.

Now the real fun and headaches begin. I promise i'll get some pics up. appreciate everyones support!

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
3.5l ECU ? stumbled upon this thread, im not sur ehow much sucess this guy made with his swap, but looks like it died. He was saying that the 6 speed tib trans mounts to the 3.5l sigma. I personally cant confirm that.

Also can someone shed some light on the name of the bolts/ flanges that mount the engine and trans together? I've been diving through hyundai parts diagrams for awhile, and nothing is very clear.

i keep searching bell housing bolts/ flanges, and not finding much

·
Registered
256 Posts
3.5l ECU ? stumbled upon this thread, im not sur ehow much sucess this guy made with his swap, but looks like it died. He was saying that the 6 speed tib trans mounts to the 3.5l sigma. I personally cant confirm that.

Also can someone shed some light on the name of the bolts/ flanges that mount the engine and trans together? I've been diving through hyundai parts diagrams for awhile, and nothing is very clear.

i keep searching bell housing bolts/ flanges, and not finding much
The bolt pattern for the sigma 3.5 is the same exact thing as the delta v6 so yes the 6 speed and 5 speed would bolt up , any 6 g Mitsubishi transmission would bolt up to the delta actually

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
here is some more info on the 3.5l trans F5A51 Transmission parts, repair guidelines, problems, manuals jus encase any of you guys are curious about this stuff.

this is a large break down of the trans and repair manual
https://www.atsg.us/atsg/skin/frontend/default/atsg/images/F5A51-demo.pdf

reading through some of this stuff, i guess you could potentially put a 3.8l galant engine with this F5A51 transmission.
one of the bigger reasons to do this swap, is the trans.
The trans can potentially open alot of other doors.
The solenoids in these particular trans missions have 6/7, which drasticlly drops the work the engine has to do to create power for the transmission, instead of something like 130 psi of oil pressure its chopped to 60psi oil pressure per solenoid.

If these transmission parts are potentially swapable with other mitsu/ chrysler/ dodge applications, there is literally no end to the possibilities.
Plus that means there should be much more (hopefully) aftermarket support for drivetrain stuff. When i reach out to places about doing custom work for my hyundais, i get alot of no ways, but the new places that know what theyre doing, and understand engine codes and trans combos, they realize that its jus a mitsu piece, and its alot easier... Still not sure why hyundai has such a bad "rep" within the custom /aftermarket/ mechanic world.

·
Registered
256 Posts
here is some more info on the 3.5l trans F5A51 Transmission parts, repair guidelines, problems, manuals jus encase any of you guys are curious about this stuff.

this is a large break down of the trans and repair manual
https://www.atsg.us/atsg/skin/frontend/default/atsg/images/F5A51-demo.pdf

reading through some of this stuff, i guess you could potentially put a 3.8l galant engine with this F5A51 transmission.
one of the bigger reasons to do this swap, is the trans.
The trans can potentially open alot of other doors.
The solenoids in these particular trans missions have 6/7, which drasticlly drops the work the engine has to do to create power for the transmission, instead of something like 130 psi of oil pressure its chopped to 60psi oil pressure per solenoid.

If these transmission parts are potentially swapable with other mitsu/ chrysler/ dodge applications, there is literally no end to the possibilities.
Plus that means there should be much more (hopefully) aftermarket support for drivetrain stuff. When i reach out to places about doing custom work for my hyundais, i get alot of no ways, but the new places that know what theyre doing, and understand engine codes and trans combos, they realize that its jus a mitsu piece, and its alot easier... Still not sure why hyundai has such a bad "rep" within the custom /aftermarket/ mechanic world.
Ima stick with my 6 speed trans for rn lol

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
found this while digging through the internet for info and parts.

·
Registered
336 Posts
here are more stuff from that Russian guy.
looks like he did make some progress. last post there is 3 months ago.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yeah I've seen that one itbhas a Mitsubishi moror and transmission
ahhh, i was curious to see what was powering it all.

small update:
I got in the 3.5l sigma a few days ago, and have been cleaning it up, it was a mess, oil everywhere.
Quickly threw the 3.5l and awd 5 speed auto in the bay jus to see fitment, and it's so incredibly tight.
i think the engine and trans is around 37inches across, so i may have to notch/ channel ( i think those are the terms) the frame in the engine bay, to allow for some more room on the sides.
Will have to get some frim/ solid motor mounts made; if this engine jerks around, it'll be knocking alot of **** into the engine bay/ firewall.

1 issue i have (my mistake), was apprently i ordered the wrong differential. The 3.5l and the 2.7l are not the same (obviously), and somehow ordered the 2.7l. Not a big deal, I'll jus save it for one of the other projects, but now i gotta find an affordable 3.5l diff.

been looking into CryoHeat for a while now, has anyone ever gotten anything done by them?
The trans in this is super heavy, any sort of way to lighten it, while strengthening it would be a huge plus. I know their site is mainly focused on utvs, but they do all sorts of automotive work, and boat/ plane stuff too. May not need to do the whole level 10 process if these guys can get the job done. OR take all the upgraded level 10 parts, and send them to cryo heat... not sure if that is overkill (if possible) or if it will be worth the money.

Been searching for a local fabricaot skilled enough, and interested in taking on some of the fabrication needed to get the trans/ drivetrain/ engine mounted properly. I also found a few fabricators (out of state) who say they can replicate the stage IV, but they have too many jobs right now, and cannot take on another project currently, so keep your fingers crossed a worthy tradesman comes along.

i have a santa fe rear subframe coming in, needed it for reference. putting together the rear is going to be interesting to say the least. The spare tire well needs to go. Length wise the trans, transfer case, driveshaft, and diff all seem to line up nicely with the tib's stock axles. the center carrier bearing mounts to a bracket, finding that was tough. Yes i know a custom mount will have to be fabricated, but the original goal is to try and use as many "stock/ oem" hyundai parts as possible.

I'm probably going to pull the heads off the 3.5l and bring them and the upper/ lower intakes to New York NY - Extrude Hone AFM to get ported/ matched. The water jackets/ interior of the blocks NEED it. These were cast so poorly. There are so many casting imperfections it, the engine cannot perform to the best of it's abilities. There is an entire wall of poorly casted aluminum i can see that is restricting fluid flow to one entire side of those heads. Lighten, strengthen, make more efficient power.

next big purchase will be coilovers, I'm dragging my feet ordering any, till i have a better idea of what the rear portion of the drivetrain/ suspension will look like. Pics soon, when i get my garage a bit more organized, its a **** show right now.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Why did you go with the auto?
I'm hoping to put together a conversion kit for each specification, full 3.5 sigma and trans/ drive train swap, a lone sigma swap; a 2.7 awd conversion for the auto/ 5 speed/ 6 speed. and even a beta conversion. It's gonna be a process. Figured the auto stuff jus has a few more moving parts, per say, so i'm hoping to get that stuff outa the way early on. Why try making a kit? because im sure others out there would be interested in taking a stab at this, but may not want to get lost in the hyundai/ kia mess of engines.

Our cars are only getting older, and "cheaper". Plenty of spare engines and drivetrain parts for these things. It adds up buying part by part. Scooping up a cheap santa fe and tearing it down would be smarter, for those doing this swap on their own. If we can potentially put together a kit someone can put together in their garage, that would be a huge win for us as a community. LOL, again, why? because i love this car, i love modding, and customizing things. Plus part of me thinks this car was set up for a rwd drivetrain, and they axed the idea halfway through. Went with the back up plan, jammed a delta in there and made it fwd. A rwd beta powered tib, back in early 2000s woulda been something fun.

One of my dogs is very sick, and have not been able to get as much work done as i would have liked to as of late.
But i got a beat up santa fe rear k frame, jus to have it for mock up purposes, check mounting. Only need a few more brackets. Been looking into having some tubeular control arms made, lots to read about when it comes to jeebus/ heim/ johnny joints and such. been debating putting together a youtube page for the build/ conversion; not sure the world wants to see me fumble **** up till i get it right. Def gonna have to invest some time and money into some welding gear.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
oh, and also came across this...
our trans had some sort of designing by porsche?

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Took the heads off the built bottom end delta, and found a damaged piston head. Any idea of what could have caused this? Lifters hitting piston head? Bad timing?
i forget off the top of my head the specs of these/ who made them. This is a big set back. was not anticipating needing a new piston/ rebuild.

1.jpg 1-1.jpg 1-2.jpg 1-3.jpg 1-4.jpg

·
Registered
256 Posts
Took the heads off the built bottom end delta, and found a damaged piston head. Any idea of what could have caused this? Lifters hitting piston head? Bad timing?
i forget off the top of my head the specs of these/ who made them. This is a big set back. was not anticipating needing a new piston/ rebuild.

View attachment 135786 View attachment 135787 View attachment 135788 View attachment 135789 View attachment 135790
Also check the sleeves make sure there's no cracks

·
Administrator
8,873 Posts

View attachment 135786 View attachment 135787 View attachment 135788 View attachment 135789 View attachment 135790
Really high lift cams vs. piston CR?
Cam timing off a Tooth?
Major carbon buildup?

Leakdown test could likely rule out bent valves...or, pinpoint sorta bad valves.....

BTW....lifters WON'T hit pistons....stuck lifters or above suggestions cause VALVES to hit pistons.....not lifters......(overhead cams, usually called tappets since cams push on them to open valves). Cam/tappets open valves, springs close them,,,,

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I posted up on one of the facebook groups and someone posted a picture of two that he had. Someone mentioned that he should get them replicated but he wasn't into it.
Really high lift cams vs. piston CR?
Cam timing off a Tooth?
Major carbon buildup?

Leakdown test could likely rule out bent valves...or, pinpoint sorta bad valves.....

BTW....lifters WON'T hit pistons....stuck lifters or above suggestions cause VALVES to hit pistons.....not lifters......(overhead cams, usually called tappets since cams push on them to open valves). Cam/tappets open valves, springs close them,,,,
thank you for the insight. I have not had much time lately to work on the cars. Super busy at home. Been looking into cams when i have some free time, that stuff is like a whole nother language.

So to get the engine, and one of these tibs back up and running, i jus need to replace the damaged piston, and get a set of cams, and upgraded injectors/ pump/ etc.

The other 2 tibs are gonna take a lil while longer. Breaking down the sigma, has been a pain, i thought the delta was a rust magnet, this block is a *****.
Got the rear wheel well of one of the tibs cut out, so i can get a plate to mount the rear differential. Also looking into hacking up the upper intake manifold. The 3.5 sigmas have individual throttle bodies, and not the good kind. These things apparently have been known to come apart, and send screws and hardware directly into the engine. So i have to tear it open, and clean out the interior. The way mitsu designed these engines was so unbelievably restrictive its nuts, its almost like the purposely made versions of these engines to sell to hyundai, so hyundai could never compete with actual mitsu cars/ car induustry... lol.

maybe i can squeeze in some wrench time later tonday.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
748BF33E-6E29-449D-8E56-187A41333A4C.jpeg 3825A5B3-C5A1-4D5C-9645-7B618853B360.jpeg 825DACDD-B5F6-4D0D-90F0-86D456B502CB.jpeg
cracked the Sigma open, and was greeted by this lovely cylinder full of rust. enter meme here In a perfect world i was gonna have this bored out, and put all the bells and whistles on this block; but that was years down the road. These projects have literally given me problems every step of the way, jus about every single part has had some sort of issue... ugh, so how big we gonna bore this bad boy out?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts