Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so today i was behind this tahoe pulling out of cvs and she randomly decides to throw it into reverse and drives up onto my hood
i was so pissed
and yesterday i had just installed my F/L headlights and they were looking sexy as ever today.
wow
so her insurance will cover everything.
but i was wondering if most autobody shops with be cool about giving me an 05/06 bumper instead of my 03?
and i was also thinking about getting a c/f hood but im about to move to texas tech and i know that those hoods require alot of TLC to keep them in good shape
so for a college student that prolly wont be the best idea due to the chances of me seeing my car very often.
ill post up pics tomorrow when i can get decent photos.

edit: pics
and to top everything off my radiator is cracked :3_frown:

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i mean there is a big gash in my bumper
and i really dont want a bondo'd bumper
and since its her insurance company i was thinking about just raging until i can get a fresh one.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
you should be able to get both F/L bumper and CF hood. hell, if her insurance is paying for it, i say go for the cf hood man!

sucks to hear about your car, but your getting something better out of the deal!

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you should be able to get both F/L bumper and CF hood. hell, if her insurance is paying for it, i say go for the cf hood man!

sucks to hear about your car, but your getting something better out of the deal!
yea it sucks
i mean i have always wished someone would bump into my bumper so that i could get a 05 one but now that it happens, it kind of sucks because someone tore my car up.

and yes i would get the c/f hood but like i said im moving to a university in 2 weeks so im not sure on how much time i will have to wash it and take care of it.
because i know they can fade and if a bird sh!ts on it. it may be a couple days till i can get it off.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
yea it sucks
i mean i have always wished someone would bump into my bumper so that i could get a 05 one but now that it happens, it kind of sucks because someone tore my car up.

and yes i would get the c/f hood but like i said im moving to a university in 2 weeks so im not sure on how much time i will have to wash it and take care of it.
because i know they can fade and if a bird sh!ts on it. it may be a couple days till i can get it off.
hm, is it really that hard to take care of a cf hood? if i were you, get the cf hood, but have it painted white to match the car, that way, you can take care of it the way you would the rest of the car!

EDIT: post #4000 for me!

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hm, is it really that hard to take care of a cf hood? if i were you, get the cf hood, but have it painted white to match the car, that way, you can take care of it the way you would the rest of the car!

EDIT: post #4000 for me!
yea that would be pretty clean
do you know of a good site to get a c/f hood
im not sure if i would like a hood vents or not.
but a c/f white hood with vents would look damn sexxy

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
This is great and ideal plans for fixing it. But...

An adjuster will come out and determine the damage costs based on his references and knowlegdge. You can deal with him, so don't just agree with what he has to say.
Best case senario, you can get a couple quotes from different body shops and new after market parts if it fits his bill. That is how it works, but I don't know without pictures what he'll determine.

You always have the option of adding your own money into the equation, just so you know. It a CF hood painted is a couple hundred more, you have the option of going for that route.
eh, i forgot about that whole "adjuster" dude coming into the picture.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is great and ideal plans for fixing it. But...

An adjuster will come out and determine the damage costs based on his references and knowlegdge. You can deal with him, so don't just agree with what he has to say.
Best case senario, you can get a couple quotes from different body shops and new after market parts if it fits his bill. That is how it works, but I don't know without pictures what he'll determine.

You always have the option of adding your own money into the equation, just so you know. It a CF hood painted is a couple hundred more, you have the option of going for that route.
yea i was thinking about that.
well i will definitely get a new hood because mine is pretty ****** up
i was planning on trying to swindle the adjuster in my favor as much i can
just dont say anything about aftermarket items or what?
especially a 05 bumper?

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
Just collect all the money and tell them you can fix it yourself.....

Im, sure you'll get about $2k

Edit: Tell them the headlights and front bumper are a "specialty" part and come from the 2005 models. "Specialty" is a good word to use with mods....

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just collect all the money and tell them you can fix it yourself.....

Im, sure you'll get about $2k
but dont i have to get estimates for the insurance company?

·
Registered
922 Posts
I use ***************.com to look at all the styles, they have a fair amount but ive never ordered a CF hood, so i dont know if the prices are good or anything, I only dream

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use ***************.com to look at all the styles, they have a fair amount but ive never ordered a CF hood, so i dont know if the prices are good or anything, I only dream
that link is blocked btw
but i was just looking them up on import shark
and they have some really clean looking ones
im just not sure yet
i need to get an estimate tomorrow.
then i can browse my options.:3_winkthu

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Show me pictures, I've been in a similar situation. I don't doubt you can persuade an F/L bumper, maybe even headlights(don't settle with the body shop telling you they aren't interchangeable). But a hood is a 500 dollars more investment than stock. Steel is $200+ paint, Carbon fiber is $600+ without paint.
i will post up pictures tomorrow morning
and the body shop down the road is pretty cool.
i mean im good friends with the owner.
i mean an 03 bumper should be around the same price as a 05/06 one right?
and the headlights i only need 1

·
Registered
922 Posts
I think everything seems do able, accept the hood seems like a bit of a stretch, but depending on how good you know the body shop owner, it could happen

And this is just my .2 about CF hoods

I think they look good on any color car unpainted, as long as the car as supporting black accents to go with it, like a dark tint, night shaded tails or headlights, black headlight, bezel..things, black rims

·
Registered
32 Posts
You should be able to get a good CF hood for about 500. I have a VIS oem style and mine was about 550 shipped to Alaska and shipping up there is quite a bit. The bumper shouldnt be a problem either as long as its the same price or lower than the oem piece. My friend had something similar happen to his mustang and he got a completely aftermarket bumper without a problem because it was cheaper than OEM. BTW an OEM hood is about $400 dollars not including paint. So you figure with paint it will actually cost more than if you get a CF hood and just dont paint it. As long as the the insurance guys think they are paying out the same or less than OEM parts they wont have a problem with it.

Edit -
Oh yea and for the Hood I definately recommend VIS if you go for a CF one. Mine fit perfectly, the oem hood dampers work perfect and it has the hook for the hood latch so you dont have to use hood pins. And as far as upkeep on the hood, its not really any worse than if you want your paint to stay looking good. Mine hasnt faded a bit.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
You can argue and get aftermarket/f/l stuff. Lets see some pics to see really how bad your bumper is.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yeah estimator will come around and say how much insurance is going to dish out. Just go to a body shop that is willing to order the parts for ya, cover the difference and enjoy!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts