Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was fine yesterday. Then today I went to go to work around 6:15pm today ( thursday ) and it sounded like it had no juice at all, and then went pretty quickly to just the starter clicking. I got this battery like around last march or april...not 09......08.....Now I live in South Florida, and we did and still are going through our hottest days during the summer, so can the heat cause a battery only last a year and a half down in florida? Or is something else draining my battery. Because, this is the going to be the 3rd battery for the car so far and its only a 06...so anyne feel the the battery lived alright? It was only like a 65 dollar Battery from Auto Zone, I dont think it was a top brand. But, Im going to go get a Die Hard tomorrow when I wake up....any suggestions on a good long lasting batter?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I used RedTop batteries because they have a 3 year free replacement and with my 2000W system i was going through them once a year.

·
Registered
665 Posts
maybe its not the battery... maybe its the alternator... if that's bad then it wouldn't charge your battery. happened to me before on a different car.

·
Registered
665 Posts
do u have any subs or anything that pulls alot of current? My old subs is what killed mine... if you have a batteries plus store around you swing by and they will check it for free and let you know what the problem is. I think autozone can too.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do u have any subs or anything that pulls alot of current? My old subs is what killed mine... if you have a batteries plus store around you swing by and they will check it for free and let you know what the problem is. I think autozone can too.

Yea I have a GT Limited, Stock System, didnt think it would pull that much since its stock but theres never a time when I dont have the music on so maybe between that and normal car use, the battery is just dead

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
stock system wouldnt do that i dont think but to be safe you could throw on a circuit breaker to shut off the sub

but its probably just a garb battery

i have a kinetik battery and it hasnt died once(even with a thumping system, underglow, angel eyes)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, just a sucky battery...sears got the die hards with a 3 or 4 year warranty....for like 20 bucks extra....so that will get be a couple for the next 3 years lol

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
If your alternator has died, both your ebrake and battery light will stay illuminated on the dash. If you have changed 3 batteries the quickly, there is another problem. I would highly suggest checking the grounding. If all your other components in the car are working fine (lights, stereo dash lights) the grounding strap may not be completely grounding the engine (which houses and grounds the starter motor). In that case I would throw on a couple more 4 gauge wires from the chassis to the engine.

My tib was built January 2002... Stock battery still running strong!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Another Fl tib owner here, my tibs stock battery lasted 4 years all in FL, which is pretty epic
My dad says 3 years is something to get excited about, but your situation sounds more like the alternator, and it can happen early, my 2006 ford focus had its alty die at 20k miles, but it was covered by warranty

inb4 ford jokes

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I bought a DIE HARD today from sears with a 3 years warranty.......one more question hopefully someone comes accross it....Last night after work...it wouldnt start...i got jumped...drove it for 20 min, and went home, ate subway letting it run in my space for 30 min....thinking it would charge a bit for the next morning to get it to sears.....which it did....so if the alternator was bad wouldnt it not charge at all? and if thats true, meaning if it charged enough to start the next morning..that means the alternator is good? and also means it must be something else...get back to me

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
If your car doesn't start again then your alternator is probably the cause of dead batteries. If the alternator tests good then something is still powered on while your car is parked. Most autoparts stores will test your alternator for free.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Coming from someone who's owned his fair share of cars with "electrical quirks". . .
I'll tell ya. . . if you change out the alternator, get a new battery, and still have this problem. . .
Do yourself a favor and learn a little bit about vehicular electronics, and get yourself a DVOM.
They sell them at most auto parts store. Then, check your car for any little thing that is drawing current while your car is turned off. Who knows. . . there could be a cheapo little five dollar part causing all this.

Which is funny to find out. . . mostly after the cursing and being angry at the part are over.

·
and his new kimchi coupe
6,247 Posts
Have your alternator tested to see what it's putting out. You may have just had a crappy battery. I've had great luck with autocraft and everstart batteries. The everstart has a 3 year walmart warranty.

·
Registered
665 Posts
i guess lets see how long the die hard lasts! hopefully it doesn't do what its name says. die hard...

·
Registered
61 Posts
you could also test the alternator by pulling the positive terminal on the battery.... once its started that is... so get a jump..

since the negative is grounded throughout the car... pulling the red would essentially force the car to run off just the alternator....

or just use a volt meter.. and test between the alternator terminal and a ground.. it should say 14... theoretically it should say 14 at any point in the cars circuit.. so even if you did it off the two battery terminals... if the alternator is good.. it will say 14... if not it will say 12 for a healthy and charged battery,... in your case it will say something less..

·
Registered
665 Posts
you could also test the alternator by pulling the positive terminal on the battery.... once its started that is... so get a jump..

since the negative is grounded throughout the car... pulling the red would essentially force the car to run off just the alternator....

or just use a volt meter.. and test between the alternator terminal and a ground.. it should say 14... theoretically it should say 14 at any point in the cars circuit.. so even if you did it off the two battery terminals... if the alternator is good.. it will say 14... if not it will say 12 for a healthy and charged battery,... in your case it will say something less..
very smart... i even knew that but wasnt using my head!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you drive everyday?

Yup, thats the weird part, I drive to and from work all week, On the weekends I deliver pizza so Im constanly using the car....and friday sat n monday night I go out so I drive to where I want to go.....so I use the car enough for the alternator to do its job....the old battery was a duralast.....i think it was just very sh.itty but I will have the alternator tested...:)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yup, thats the weird part, I drive to and from work all week, On the weekends I deliver pizza so Im constanly using the car....and friday sat n monday night I go out so I drive to where I want to go.....so I use the car enough for the alternator to do its job....the old battery was a duralast.....i think it was just very sh.itty but I will have the alternator tested...:)
i use durlast... have used them all my life... only ever gotten one bad battery.. the rest lasted for 2-3 years

1 - 20 of 28 Posts