·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok.. new tiburon '06 SE..

now im going to install a CAI..

and then install a car alarm system...

and then install a new sound system :p however im quite the noob in this area

for the car alarm system.. im lookin for something that doesnt shock :p and is kind of cheap... just for peace of mind and some deterrence. most of the time it's parked in front of my place so if horn goes off ill know. and other times it's in the parking lot at campus where people are always around (hrmm ok it needs a pager). maybe something like 70$ ? 100$ ? any recommendations would be great.

now for a car system.. that 200w with no bass isnt tiding me over :| im willing to spend like 500-700 dollars on a system. a primary concern is bass.. so to make my chair shake im guessing 1 12" wont do it.. ill need two? i dont want to fill my trunk up really with it.

im thinking maybe overall 600W ? is that possible with my budget? i dont need a lcd screen for it though but im open to having one.

im not looking for the loudest system on the block to show off.. but i am looking to "feel" my music and if i want to do a hip hop song i want to feel the bumps.

thanks in advance and merry christmas ;)

·
Registered
337 Posts
if you can going to invest up to $700 on your car audio, do NOT skimp out on the alarm. viper 791xv is usually the most recommended alarm, but anything from DEI will do. 791xv can be installed at places for 250-300ish. and add a backup battery for another ~30ish

(1) 12" will definitelly get your car shaking and you will feel it. put it in the right enclosure and properly power it... sub/amp/wiring will run you from 200-500$ depending on brand, size, power, etc. you may need a new HU, not sure what the 06 has, but my 04 needed replacement. also consider replacing the components with a nice aftermarket set.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
$500-700 on a SYSTEM, or on bass? $700 is nothing. That's like the head unit and either the sub or the amp...not both. If you get low-mid level stuff, you can get the new HU and sub and amp for $700. $700 simply won't get you a system though. Actually, I could probably build a system for that, but I could also stab my ear drums with ice picks...doesn't mean I would do it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
yikes didnt realize how expensive ><

i guess im willing to spend 1g on the sound system :eek:

something like 1 12" and a 400w amp with a decent HU.

edit: actually i dont really need a HU if it can be helped.. the kenwood it comes with is sufficient i think? i'd rather buy a better set of speakers/amp than upgrade the HU.

http://www0.uk.shopping.com/xPF-Kenwood-KDC-MPV622

·
Registered
337 Posts
SpeedCheeser said:
$500-700 on a SYSTEM, or on bass? $700 is nothing. That's like the head unit and either the sub or the amp...not both. If you get low-mid level stuff, you can get the new HU and sub and amp for $700. $700 simply won't get you a system though. Actually, I could probably build a system for that, but I could also stab my ear drums with ice picks...doesn't mean I would do it.
$700 will get you a system if you shop smart. get your stuff off reputable sellers on ebay and consider buying used gear from car audio forums (ie caraudio.com). if you buy all retail from like best buy, then yeah... $700 is not enough.

shopping smart (assuming you keep your kenwood HU and do all the labor yourself):

~$100 12" sub (image dynamics/elemental designs/ascendant audio to name a few)
~$50 enclosure
~$150 component set for front stage
~$100 component amp
~$100 sub amp
~$50 wiring
~$100 sound deadening

= ~$650

·
Registered
639 Posts
you can buy my alpine type R's 2 12inch. with ported box. PM me if interested

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts
Buy two MTX 5500 series 10's and a matching amp for boom. Should cost you roughly 5-600 with a box and sound pretty damn good......

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1QUICKSHRK said:
How much do you want for these subs!!!?
wtf get that **** outta mah thread. if he was offering everyone he wouldve made a for sale thread :3_redcard

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
ViperVin said:
$700 will get you a system if you shop smart. get your stuff off reputable sellers on ebay and consider buying used gear from car audio forums (ie caraudio.com). if you buy all retail from like best buy, then yeah... $700 is not enough.

shopping smart (assuming you keep your kenwood HU and do all the labor yourself):

~$100 12" sub (image dynamics/elemental designs/ascendant audio to name a few)
~$50 enclosure
~$150 component set for front stage
~$100 component amp
~$100 sub amp
~$50 wiring
~$100 sound deadening

= ~$650
I was really talking about quality products is the thing. I said it could be done...

SpeedCheeser said:
I could probably build a system for that, but I could also stab my ear drums with ice picks...doesn't mean I would do it.
...but that I never would.

·
Registered
375 Posts
you can make s good sounding system w/o breaking the bank
in my cav i had 2 10" lightning audios, 1 12" hifonics zeus sub, 1 1000w pyramid amp (for the 12), 1 1000w 4ch cyclone amp (for the 10's and my Blapunkt 6x9s) and i had kicker 4x6s (runninf off a 222w xplode amp)up front with a alpine HU
all in a custom false floor in the trunk
all equip plus wiring cost me a grand total of under $500
$55 for the 12
$70 for the 2 10s
$75 for the pyramid
$40 for the cyclone
$20 for the xplode
$25 for the 6x9s
$50 for the 4x6s
$30 for the HU, i got a great deal, its was $300 retail but was used by 2 ppl
$365 total, plus wiring so about $400-$450 and i was done!

·
Registered
375 Posts
well now i just realized that im gonna get flammed for that last post, but it sounded great, hit about 131 dBs in it, it wasnt the best system by far but it got the job done and i was happy with it

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
teylix said:
yikes didnt realize how expensive ><

i guess im willing to spend 1g on the sound system :eek:

something like 1 12" and a 400w amp with a decent HU.

edit: actually i dont really need a HU if it can be helped.. the kenwood it comes with is sufficient i think? i'd rather buy a better set of speakers/amp than upgrade the HU.

http://www0.uk.shopping.com/xPF-Kenwood-KDC-MPV622
I would usually do the hu first, but I don't know anything about the factory kenwood. It may be ok. I know it has sub pre outs, but other than that I don't know. If you really wanted to, you could skip buying a head unit and use the kenwood, but just remember that your speakers/subs can only play as well as the signal they're given. A new hu adds the most flexibility.

If I were you, they way you're talking, I'd say keep the Kenwood for now. Buy replacement speakers and get your sub(s) and amp. Now, everyone in here is going to reccomend some specific setup to you (usually what they're personally running...kinda biased, huh?) but no one is gonna know what you like but you. Go to some audio shops and listen. For speakers, I'll always recommend Focal, Boston Acoustics, and JL Audio. For a cheaper alternative, Alpine's mid level stuff I've seen for pretty decent. Polk was ok when I listened to them a while back. Just make sure that whatever you're putting in the front, you put a matching set in the back.

For your subs, nothing will rival a JL sub. Period. If you can swing it, do it. If not, the cheaper alternative I'd suggest is either Kicker or upper Alpine. (My buddy tells me that Memphis Audio is comparable, but I haven't personally heard them.)

For your amps, again, JL is amazing. If not, Alpine makes a good amp and so does Memphis. You could go with Kicker too I guess.

You could also sub out Kenwood Excelon or Pioneer Premier for just about anything and it will be decent. Depends on how good you really want it to get.

Anyhow, it's going in your car, playing for your ears, being paid for out of your wallet. Go listen to some of that stuff at a local shop and see what you like best. Oh, and take your own mix cd of songs from all the different types of music you're likely to listen to to get a true representation of what it will be like. Then just see what sounds pleasing to what you're willing to pay.

Oh yeah, and Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
LiquidFireTibby said:
you can make s good sounding system w/o breaking the bank
in my cav i had 2 10" lightning audios, 1 12" hifonics zeus sub, 1 1000w pyramid amp (for the 12), 1 1000w 4ch cyclone amp (for the 10's and my Blapunkt 6x9s) and i had kicker 4x6s (runninf off a 222w xplode amp)up front with a alpine HU
all in a custom false floor in the trunk
all equip plus wiring cost me a grand total of under $500
$55 for the 12
$70 for the 2 10s
$75 for the pyramid
$40 for the cyclone
$20 for the xplode
$25 for the 6x9s
$50 for the 4x6s
$30 for the HU, i got a great deal, its was $300 retail but was used by 2 ppl
$365 total, plus wiring so about $400-$450 and i was done!
:3_toilet-
no offense

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SpeedCheeser said:
I would usually do the hu first, but I don't know anything about the factory kenwood. It may be ok. I know it has sub pre outs, but other than that I don't know. If you really wanted to, you could skip buying a head unit and use the kenwood, but just remember that your speakers/subs can only play as well as the signal they're given. A new hu adds the most flexibility.

If I were you, they way you're talking, I'd say keep the Kenwood for now. Buy replacement speakers and get your sub(s) and amp. Now, everyone in here is going to reccomend some specific setup to you (usually what they're personally running...kinda biased, huh?) but no one is gonna know what you like but you. Go to some audio shops and listen. For speakers, I'll always recommend Focal, Boston Acoustics, and JL Audio. For a cheaper alternative, Alpine's mid level stuff I've seen for pretty decent. Polk was ok when I listened to them a while back. Just make sure that whatever you're putting in the front, you put a matching set in the back.

For your subs, nothing will rival a JL sub. Period. If you can swing it, do it. If not, the cheaper alternative I'd suggest is either Kicker or upper Alpine. (My buddy tells me that Memphis Audio is comparable, but I haven't personally heard them.)

For your amps, again, JL is amazing. If not, Alpine makes a good amp and so does Memphis. You could go with Kicker too I guess.

You could also sub out Kenwood Excelon or Pioneer Premier for just about anything and it will be decent. Depends on how good you really want it to get.

Anyhow, it's going in your car, playing for your ears, being paid for out of your wallet. Go listen to some of that stuff at a local shop and see what you like best. Oh, and take your own mix cd of songs from all the different types of music you're likely to listen to to get a true representation of what it will be like. Then just see what sounds pleasing to what you're willing to pay.

Oh yeah, and Merry Christmas.
thanks... i just wanted a sort of guideline to what was good out there so i dont go to a shop blind (or should i say deaf?)

·
Registered
337 Posts
SpeedCheeser said:
I was really talking about quality products is the thing. I said it could be done...
exactly, prices i listed were for a quality components.

SpeedCheeser said:

while JL is a very good brand, it is pretty much out of his price range. jl 500/1 amp will itself cost $400. you can still buy from other very good brands for much less (but they are less heard of companies).

tho... like he said, go to a shop and listen for yourself to different stuff. find what your ears like.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts