Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my setup with my custom turbo kit, I have tiburon with 1.6 engine, T3-50 turbocharger, AEM fic for ignition and fuel controlling and SRT$ stage 2 injectors. eberything work fine with me at 8 psi but I have comple of questions, I would run more boost but I dont run how much boost can I run with this setup, can I run more boost and retard the ignition 1 degree / 1 psi or should lower the compression ratio, how much should it be to run 12 psi ( i dont want to lose alot of low end power) ?
I want to know how can know if my engine detonating or no, i craked on of my piston before cus of pre ignition and did not hear any detonation before the pre ignition, can I find it by scan tool, actually after i cracked the piston I found one fault in my scan tool saying something about detonation but can i know if my enginine detonate before i start braking engine?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just finished my setup with my custom turbo kit, I have tiburon with 1.6 engine, T3-50 turbocharger, AEM fic for ignition and fuel controlling and SRT$ stage 2 injectors. eberything work fine with me at 8 psi but I have comple of questions, I would run more boost but I dont run how much boost can I run with this setup, can I run more boost and retard the ignition 1 degree / 1 psi or should lower the compression ratio, how much should it be to run 12 psi ( i dont want to lose alot of low end power) ?
I want to know how can know if my engine detonating or no, i craked on of my piston before cus of pre ignition and did not hear any detonation before the pre ignition, can I find it by scan tool, actually after i cracked the piston I found one fault in my scan tool saying something about detonation but can i know if my enginine detonate before i start braking engine?
i wonder if you have the old 4g63 engine. what year tiburon?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Dets=flashing check engine light

You need some monitoring hardware like: piggyback, wideband, oil pressure, boost/vac, 18psi+ you need a fuel pressure gauge, water temp...

the 2.0L 2004-2007 has 10.3:1 compression and can handle 18psi (td04 series turbo) @ 11.5:1 AFR and 22psi @ 10-10.5:1 AFR. Then, if you use forged pistons you can boost up to whatever you want. DMDicks has a 10.0:1 compression race block @ 19psi (gt2876R turbo) and 400whp.

12psi should be good. just make sure you tune @ a dyno, have stuff to monitor your car while driving, and don't blow up your engine...

so basically... don't die.

tim

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dets=flashing check engine light

You need some monitoring hardware like: piggyback, wideband, oil pressure, boost/vac, 18psi+ you need a fuel pressure gauge, water temp...

the 2.0L 2004-2007 has 10.3:1 compression and can handle 18psi (td04 series turbo) @ 11.5:1 AFR and 22psi @ 10-10.5:1 AFR. Then, if you use forged pistons you can boost up to whatever you want. DMDicks has a 10.0:1 compression race block @ 19psi (gt2876R turbo) and 400whp.

12psi should be good. just make sure you tune @ a dyno, have stuff to monitor your car while driving, and don't blow up your engine...

so basically... don't die.

tim
Can I use such high boost 18psi with at compression ratio with noemal gasoline 92 octane even if I retard ignition

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sabban, just note that the octan rating number in your place is not same as rating number in US (different octan measuring system)

for example when US guys (majority of NT) say 90 or 92, in Egypt to you should get 95 and up
Which octane grade you use? I red you push just 7psi, right? what is your engine compression ratio?

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
The 1.6L engine is classified as an Alpha engine, not the Beta2 like USDM Tiburons have. With that said they are based on the Beta but with a smaller bore and stroke and a completely different cylinder head. With GOOD tuning they should be able to hold the same boost pressure as the beta 2.
TurboXs makes a nifty device called the Knock Lite. Once you calibrate it correctly it can show you real time when the knock count goes up on the ECU giving you some warning. Also datalogging your timing curve can show you weak spots as well.
I wouldn't bother retarding any timing below 10 psi. Above I would do 1 degree per psi above 10psi. So say you run 15psi boost pressure. Retard 5 degrees. Make sure you run the highest RON or Octane level gasoline you can get and you'll be fine.

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 1.6L engine is classified as an Alpha engine, not the Beta2 like USDM Tiburons have. With that said they are based on the Beta but with a smaller bore and stroke and a completely different cylinder head. With GOOD tuning they should be able to hold the same boost pressure as the beta 2.
TurboXs makes a nifty device called the Knock Lite. Once you calibrate it correctly it can show you real time when the knock count goes up on the ECU giving you some warning. Also datalogging your timing curve can show you weak spots as well.
I wouldn't bother retarding any timing below 10 psi. Above I would do 1 degree per psi above 10psi. So say you run 15psi boost pressure. Retard 5 degrees. Make sure you run the highest RON or Octane level gasoline you can get and you'll be fine.
So, I can boost may be till 18 psi on stock compression and keep watching knocking, AFR and EGT?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts