Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 2006 2.0L I4 Tiburon (5spd) and I want to get a turbo kit for it. There are a couple kits out there but I've heard mixed reactions towards basically all of them. The sharkracing one looks good but I hear complaints about shipping. The pross one isn't sold to customers in the states and the alpine kit looks like a piece of junk on their website.

In your opinion(s) what is the best turbo kit for my car (meaning price, reliability, shipping/availability/power output). Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
There an i4 turbo package that can make maximum 550whp by www.pross.co.kr .

It's a Korean site and the translation in English stinks.

·
Premium Member
3,168 Posts
The "piece of junk" is the best, and most reliable for your money. Since you're lack of knowledge makes it so ugly, maybe you should do some searching of these forums. That piece of junk you're referring to I assume is the manifold which will probably outlast your car...

·
Registered
41 Posts
ID say go Alpine but since you think thier Sh*t is a piece a junk go costum and blow your car up, then maybe after all that money and time spent you wont think ALpine is a piece of junk!!

·
Registered
989 Posts
wow... dude... calling the alpine kit a "piece of junk" prolly wanst the best move. Especially on this forum. That decision was a great way to make alot of guys kinda upset.

Anyways, I've got the alpine kit. I havent actually driving on it yet ::cough, cough:: but let me give you some advice. - I was gonna type this up in my own thread but i guess I'll do it here too.

Go with the Alpine kit.
-First of all: If you go custom its cheaper, however guys like you and me have no idea what we are doing so we would prolly blow up our cars. And taking it to someone that knows what they are doing for a custom setup is going to put your car out of comission for a while; not to mention cost you an arm and a leg. Plus alpine gives you everything you need in the
-Second: AND MOST IMPORTANTLY!!! Alpine has THE BEST customer service!!! Alot of the guys here have the kit and can tell you whats up for any questions you've got. Plus John (owner of alpine... i think) and Dave (tech guy/God) know your car inside and out! ---Believe me, they prolly hate my guts by now with all the questions that i've had. lol.
-Third: the kit is easliy upgradeable. given a reflash, guages, and boost controller you can add some serious power. Plus there are tons of N/A things you can do to help your little turbo.

Now, some words of advice. Some of these guys will tell you that "kits" are bolt on. Even tho I am a novice mechanic. I have learned that NO TURBO KIT IS JUST BOLT ON!!! lol. I have a 2006 I-4 and let me give you a heads up:
-Dave will hook you up but... the oil feed is different than previous years
-the intercooler pipe is not bolt on (at least for the 06). you need a hand grinder, and you will need to modify the crap out of the piping
-Double and triple check the head spacer and gaskets to make sure they line up with the front of the block and head. I put the head spacer on upside down... sigh... STUPID ME!!! dont repeat my mistakes.
-make sure you tie the unichip into a 12v wire that turns off with the ignition... i did that too... ::sigh::
-You are going to have to drill (yes i said drill) into the bottom of the block. You need a rather large bit... you will have to remove the fan on the left and cut about 2" off the bit. The you need one of those threader thingys too. Cause there wont be any threads in the new hole in your block.
-Alpine doesnt give tell you how to take off the head. So you will need to register at HMAservice.com with hyundai for all the specs and details.

I think thats it. This stuff kinda seems negative... but I'm just trying to prepare you for all of the "bumps" you might run into. Even tho there are some obsticles to overcome with this kit.. I dont even want to imagine how hard it would be if i had to do it from scratch.
-It sounds like you know as much as I did when my car was stock. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! LoL!! Thats ok. Just get the Alpine kit and go from there.

Now if you want some real power. Go with the Alpine dual charged kit. Supercharger and Turbocharger. I know nothing about this kit. However, if you rebuild the bottom half of your engine (pistons, rods, maybe crank shaft) the sky is the limit.

But I'm still recommending the stage 1 intercooled turbo... i think that would be best.
And again... dont ever make a cocky comment like that again here. People might not come to your resque when you ask for help...

Just some advice.

wow! I re-read this message and boy I'm a bad speller!! lol. Oh well.. sorrAY!!

·
Banned
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are funny. I said it LOOKED like a piece of crap, as in the picture on their site didn't make it appealing to a customer. And you're right, I have absolutely NO knowledge in the subject, thats why I asked you guys. This is my first Tiburon, hell its my first 4 banger (last car was a 91 Mustang 5.0 so I know v8's and superchargers and whatnot, not this stuff). So lets try again. Could all of you knowledgable folk out there please just let me know what you think is the best turbo kit for the money, thanks.

·
Banned
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW, Klouud....THANK YOU SO MUCH. That was like the first legit response I've gotten. Not only did you answer my question but you explained why. See thats all I wanted. And people need to go back to my original post and see that I said the apline kit "looks like a piece of junk on their website" (meaning the picture they provide) I didn't say it was (how am I supposed to know seeing as I dont have one).

Thanks again Klouud. From the looks of it though I've seen a lot of good things about Alpine, especially from all the haters jumpin down my throat for misreading my post, looks like they sell good stuff.

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK go with the Alpine kit stage 1 kit! I have this on my 2005 elantra same motor as your tib and the kit is unbeliavable! The costumer service is great John, Jay and Dave all take time out of their busy days to asnwer my stupid AS* questions! I had a few problems with Install but it was all my fault also and John did everything in his power to fix it and get me back on the road quick. Belive me the stage 1 kit at 15psi is awesome You will love watching WRXs and SRT-4s and hondas staring at your back bumper!!!!

P.S. if you get this kit GET A DAMN GOOD CLUTCH my stocker is slipping madly now!!

·
Banned
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One last thing before I let you guys give me more advice, I think I was looking at a secondary seller of the kit and the picture was horrible, I found the actual Alpine website and it looks a lot better. By the way, any kit that I'd get I'd probably have installed at a performance shop, I don't trust myself with something this complicated (exhaust, intake sure, not this).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well if you do go with a shop make sure its a good one! But really you can install it just take your time and if your confused Call Alpine they will help you! or post a question on here! believe me If I can do it anyone can! I did have help from a ASE mechanic friend but that was more to lift of the head. I wanted to do most of the work so I could learn more about the car and how its put together.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yeah man. DIY!!! That way you know how it works and that its been done right. And if you want to make any upgrades - which are soOOOO much easier than installing the kit - you can just pop em in. Plus with the money you save from installin it urself you can get ...
-flywheel, clutch, unichip reflach, boost guages, a-pillar replacement, boost controller, rims, Suspention upgrades, dvd player, car pc (carputer), RECIRCULATING VALVUE (NOT BOV!!!!), short shifter... the list goes on.
-do yourself a favor and DIY. Then buy more upgrades with the money you save.

Oh, and get the kit directly from Alpine. Dont go thru a middle man.
AAAAAANd you need exhaust.
VERY IMPORTANT - I forgot about this...
the turbo dumps the exhaust into what is called a down pipe (included in kit), the downpipe goes into the Midpipe (cat, stock resonator... blah blah blah). If you buy an exhaust system it will not replace the Midpipe... just as its called its a "CAT BACK EXHAUST". Make sure you get the stock midpipe relpaced with whatever size pipe you buy for exhaust. This is kinda illegal... cause no cat... and now you have what is called a "TESTPIPE"... but hey!!! who's counting... he... he... uh... he. Just do the O2 sensor trick and your ECU wont know the difference. And save the stock midpipe just incase the place where you get inspected actually checks your exhaust emissions.
---All that to say this: It gives more hp, allows the turbo to breath better, and you cant upgrade the kit without it. Well... thats what I've heard... so thats what I did.

PLUS!!!! You might save money if you get a complete CUSTOM exhaust system made by some local shop.
Just food for thought.

tim

·
Banned
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice Tim, although I knew about the whole exhaust situation. I've got a friend who owns a custom exhaust shop and if the kit included a downpipe and my new exhaust was catback, I'd have him throw in a new midpipe and high flow cat, so thats not a problem. But while we're on the issue of exhausts, does anyone have an opinion for the best sounding one for this application? I'm looking at the Injen Super SES, ARK N2 Straight Dual, and Mussa systems right now and just wanted to get another opinion on it. Thanks all, you've been great help.

P.S. There's no way in hell I'd install a single tipped exhaust.

·
Retired Staff | Track Rat
5,714 Posts
Jds121 said:
Even if it is there's no way in hell I'd get one, its WAY too ricey.
What makes one exhaust outlet rice-ier than two?

Four, I can understand. Even eight. But one?

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
I'll put in my two pennies worth. If I were you I'd start out with an Entry Level Kit and purchase the new pretapped Oil Pan option. This makes the kit 99.9% bolt-on. If you can change your oil you can install and entry level kit with the oil pan option.

·
Banned
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I think I'm gonna stick to my guns though and go to a shop to install this turbo kit (you all convinced me to go with alpine kit but not on installing it myself). I'd love to learn how to work on the more technical aspects of my car but I'd rather spend a couple extra bucks and know that it was done professionally. Plus, if anything goes wrong I can always blame them.

As far as your exhaust question concerning riceyness just take a look at the single tipped exhaust on tibs. They're huge, you could fit a freakin watermelon in one, not to mention they come sticking up from the underside of the car like a sore thumb. They just look...well, really bad. The dual tips that come on the stock car were deseigned with real sports cars in mind, Ferrari's, Porsches, muscle cars, race cars, I mean you find me one legitamite sports car in the last 15 years with a big *** fart can sticking out the back and I'll be stunned. The whole single tipped revolution is something new that came with the introduction of 4 bangers from Japan, hence the designation of rice (so dont even waste your time by saying evo or sti, which are, of course, rice). And 4 tips being rice? Excuse me but take a look at the Lamborghini Countach or Chevy Corvette, I definitely dont think either of them are ricey at all. Hope that answers your question, if not you'll be stuck as a ricer for the rest of your life.

·
Retired Staff | Track Rat
5,714 Posts
Jds121 said:
As far as your exhaust question concerning riceyness just take a look at the single tipped exhaust on tibs. They're huge, you could fit a freakin watermelon in one, not to mention they come sticking up from the underside of the car like a sore thumb. They just look...well, really bad. The dual tips that come on the stock car were deseigned with real sports cars in mind, Ferrari's, Porsches, muscle cars, race cars, I mean you find me one legitamite sports car in the last 15 years with a big *** fart can sticking out the back and I'll be stunned. The whole single tipped revolution is something new that came with the introduction of 4 bangers from Japan, hence the designation of rice (so dont even waste your time by saying evo or sti, which are, of course, rice). And 4 tips being rice? Excuse me but take a look at the Lamborghini Countach or Chevy Corvette, I definitely dont think either of them are ricey at all. Hope that answers your question, if not you'll be stuck as a ricer for the rest of your life.
I disagree, considering a single exhaust outlet is more efficient (read: functional) than a dual setup (particularly in turbo setups). Your reasoning is based on appearance alone over efficiency, which by definition, is rice.

But hey, everyone's got their opinion, and it's your car, so mod as you please :3_winkthu

1 - 20 of 66 Posts