Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Best Upgrade to start with ?

1K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  viva_brasil 
#1 ·
I already of a CAI (whoopie *eyes roll*)

But as my first mod, should I go for:

-Intake Manifold
-Headers
-Catback

Which do I start with.

Any help is appreciated.
In the end. I want aftermarket gear with a S/C and
since NGM comes w/ the manifold needed, I think I'd stay
away from putting one and do it w/ the S/C
I don't want to S/C til after I get married (go ahead ... try to
buy a car part with a wedding forthcoming and not have tha G/F find out, lol)

#2 ·
Tibzie said:
I already of a CAI (whoopie *eyes roll*)

But as my first mod, should I go for:

-Intake Manifold
-Headers
-Catback

Which do I start with.

Any help is appreciated.
In the end. I want aftermarket gear with a S/C and
since NGM comes w/ the manifold needed, I think I'd stay
away from putting one and do it w/ the S/C
I don't want to S/C til after I get married (go ahead ... try to
buy a car part with a wedding forthcoming and not have tha G/F find out, lol)

Just follow the most common step..... which would be the exhaust....

Since your intake is freeing the intake air flow now you should get an exhaust to free up the exhaust flow.....

Kenny(r100s)

#4 ·
Common "tech tree" for modding a Tib is CAI -> Exhaust -> Headers -> S/C with stuff such as underdrive pulley, clutch and flywheel and other smaller things in between. If not forced induction, substitute S/C for an intake manifold and cams.

#5 ·
intake, headers, exhaust, fuel tuner and tune it till u can get the SC then re tune

#7 ·
Universal_Remonster said:
I say after Intake you go with Headers.... stay in order, I/H/E. At least that's a general blueprint for basic import tuning.

Unless you own a 240sx... then it's Engine swap, then I/H/E, haha.

or just exhaust and a bigger turbo...

#11 ·
The headers and exhaust and CAI with a tuner were the very first thing I did , then Clutch and flywheel......then motor and trans. Try hiding 13k in motor and trans mods by NGM from your wife "after "getting married. :3_marrysm

#12 ·
If you have a manual tranny, I would add an STS to the list. It might not add horsepower, but it makes a big difference in shifting.

#13 ·
SSA has a good catback exhaust for relatively cheap, but good quality. I've had mine for 3 years and not one single issue. $300 is easily explained to the woman, and the sound is really agressive. I have ZERO complaints.

#14 ·
Trevor said:
SSA has a good catback exhaust for relatively cheap, but good quality. I've had mine for 3 years and not one single issue. $300 is easily explained to the woman, and the sound is really agressive. I have ZERO complaints.
I can't agree more with that.
The SSA headers catback combo is the best (HP > Money) deal around especialy if you get maried you'll need good deals like that.
But you could also buy a new clutch/ LW Flywheel setup, it's something you will need anyway if you go S/C in the near future.

#15 ·
Yeah , the B&M STS is the best outfit going as far as a complete assy ,( that's what I got in mine) and peach it made a big difference , but if I remember right BassTib has a killer deal on a really nice set he makes. You wuold have to ask him to verify that tho

#17 ·
Catback before headers, because headers+stock exhaust= bottleneck

#20 ·
hmm do a stage 4 install. did that today and yeah u can feel the diffrence. now i just got to tune soon

#24 ·
Thanks all. You've all been a great help. I'm thinking the Catback. I want bigger than 2.5" piping though.

Is dual or single exhuast better? My GS-R 6 Speed has a dual (stock) currently.

Thanks

#25 ·
2.5" is big enough. If you go bigger than that, you will lose too much backpressure, which is not what you want. Single gets a little better gain than "duals"

#26 ·
single vs. dual is debated... ARK has said that their dual makes more power than their single, period. Though the single makes like 1 or 2 lbft. extra torque, and the dual makes more hp (as seen in the ARK dyno). You won't feel a difference, basically.
I like the single because it's lighter, and there's just something about an angled single exhaust that I like on some days, and on other days I just think it looks rice-y.
I bought the dual because I have two slots for exhaust tips, and i'm sick of seeing civics with a body kit with two slots and they have one big a$$ fart can coming out of one slot, and th eother one is empty... so unless you can paint the diffuser, i would go withthe dual.

also consider lightweight pulleys and stronger/stiffer motor mounts. Check out the ones from Korea, available from seoulful racing and Kspec (i think it's the same one- kspec.com or kdmstuff.com), and also Road Race motorsports makes a set, also at $199 (roadracemotorsports.com).
ARK is coming out with a new set of pulleys, and speed freak racing- SFR- has a set, but they're pretty unpopular lately because of their crappy customer service and not delivering parts.

I'm getting a set of SSA headers soon, already have a SAFCII for tuning once I put the headers in, and then I'll be putting in a set of pulleys and motor mounts, followed by a clutch/flywheel kit at the same time that I go s/c'd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.