Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've done some research and found numerous places claiming that the Beta 1 and Beta 2 (2.0L) has a life expectancy of about 300,000km (~186,000mi).

While some sources such as: G4GR - двигатель Хендай 1.6 литра | Otoba.ru claims even less at 250,000km (155,000mi).

Finally a screenshot from Wikipedia:

My Beta 1 has currently 177,xxx miles and I keep up well with maintenance and I've always been told/heard.that these 4-cylinder were very reliable. But I guess everybody has a different perspective of reliability...

· Registered
714 Posts
I mean... whats life expectancy? A hole in the engine? Blown head gasket? Oil consumption? Spun bearing?

Not really sure what you are asking. Honestly if anybody had the ability to really tell you how long an engine will last should be buying a lottery ticket cause they damn sure know the winning numbers.

· Registered
2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Faulcun it is the average on how far engines will go under normal maintenance before they become overly inefficient or costly repairs are needed.

· Registered
714 Posts
@Faulcun it is the average on how far engines will go under normal maintenance before they become overly inefficient or costly repairs are needed.
I guess go until it blows lol. Honestly im of the opinion of fixing it until you lose your love for it. These arent super rare vehicles, but they are certainly unique. Ive honestly never purchased a vehicle for its reliability. Its always been for a purpose, or for the love of it.

Ultimately, if you have no love for it, sell it before you have a major issue. Its inevitable on any vehicle at some point. Some sooner than later.

· Registered
2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Faulcun I have a manual 2.7 that I'm working on. Just about finished with the things I wanna do. Just drop a new engine into it.
Thinking about getting refurbished or used.

My 2.0L doesn't deserve the same love. I plan on keeping it for a couple more years and upon researching I discovered that the consensus was "300,000km or 185,000mi" which intrigued me. I thought these engines were notoriously reliable.
Granted, 185k miles isn't bad, but I was led to believe it was more. But that is in line with how many 4cyl Tiburons I see for sale in the area (all ranging 120—180k)

· Registered
92 Posts
The biggest problem of those cars is, that many low budget people buy them and give them bad/no maintenance.
Which drasticaly reduces life of the car/ the engine.
So you can't really say how long this car/ engine will hold.
My car has about 135000km, ran without oil and in 2019 got beaten every workday 2x 60km at about 200km/h full throttle.
Still running great!

· Registered
182 Posts
I got 232,000 mi out of a beta 2, and I would consistently bounce it off the rev limiter ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding going around corners and missing gears. I didn't change the oil nearly as often as I should have. And I never used a real Hyundai brand oil filter. All of which would extend the engine life. I ran the dog snot out of that thing and it went 232,000 miles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts