Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of building a fresh 2.0L G4GC Beta-II with forged internals after recently throwing a rod in a rather explosive manner :p

My previous configuration was a stock Beta-II pushing around 400whp using a decompression plate to lower the compression to 8.5:1, the engine was otherwise completely stock and unopened.

I originally turbocharged the car back in October 2012 with a Kinugawa TD05H-20G and Jattus tubular / equal length manifold. This setup has proven to be a beast on the street, it's also been also fairly reliable. I like to take the car on circuit track days every 2-3 months so I can put myself and the car through its paces.

New Engine Components:
  • Pauter X-Beam Rods
  • CP Pistons, 9:1, standard 82mm bore
  • ARP Main studs
  • ARP Head studs
  • ARP 2000 rod bolts
  • Brian Crower valve springs, retainers and locks
  • ClutchMasters 7.25” Twin Disc
  • ARP Flywheel bolts
Transmission:
  • Stock GJ93 Gearbox
  • Custom gear set from Elite Racing (1st gear is straight cut, 2-5th are helical)
  • Gears manufactured from aviation grade S156 material
  • Hardened and REM finished so should be much stronger than stock
  • Larger input shaft / spline (24.9mm, 23 tooth) same as the Mitsubishi Evo 9
  • Quaife LSD (QDH8B with Mitsubishi Speedo Gear MD717879)
  • Push-clutch conversion with throw-out bearing, clutch fork and retainer from Atelier HP
  • Standard bearings and synchro’s with temperature sensor boss welded on
Missing parts:
  • Race Bearings (rods and mains) – I can’t find the part numbers for ACL or King bearings
  • Camshafts – I can’t find any off-the-shelf products (considering a custom re-grind)
  • Lightweight Crank Pulley – ordered an Alutec pulley from Australia
Electronics Package:
  • Link G4+ Thunder ECU
  • Coil-on-plug conversion for sequential injection (Toyota coils)
  • Injector Dynamic 850cc injectors (stock fuel rail)
  • Walbro 190LPH fuel pump (stock lines)
  • E-Throttle conversion with Bosch throttle body and pedal
  • MAC 4 port boost solenoid
  • Multiple EGT probes (pre / post turbo)
  • Dedicated LSU4.9 wideband + AEM Failsafe gauge
  • OEM knock, cam, crank, ECT sensors
  • OEM CVVT, 2 wire oil valve on the intake side
  • Motec fuel pressure, oil pressure and gearbox oil temp sensors
  • Launch control, traction control, flat foot shift, downshift blip and all that good stuff
I don't suppose anyone has the part numbers from ACL or King etc, I'm really keen on upgrading the bearings as i doubt the OEM bearings can handle 500-600whp?

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
I used ACLs in my old 2.0l build as well as Jonathan's race motor. I'll find the part numbers for you. I also recommend a dw300 or 65c pump if you want to run flex fuel.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This was the start of rear-end upgrade... I did all this at the same time. The improvements on the road and track are awesome!

The upgrade consisted of Ingall arms, poly bushes, ultra racing swap bars, braces, oem trailing arms, subframe and swap bar locks.

Kind of looks like I've driven into the house :)

Rear-end up in the air, posing nicely... She's all ready for it...

Nice and lubed up in an attempt to remove all the rusty crap... I ended up cutting the bolts with the angle grinder in the end, they were just too far gone.

I decided to paint the front and rear spindles with Hammerrite before installing the poly bushes.

I also painted a few bolt that I forgot to order up... 90% of the rear-end hardware was replaced with OEM parts from the STEALERSHIP!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
In didn't quite get the rear-end finished on Saturday so i decided to work into the night.

Not bad hey... :)

Sunday morning I started work on the front-end... I installed the new wishbones with poly bushes, end-links, track-rod ends and painted the spindles.

I decided the OEM replacements were just too expensive especially after spending a fortune on the rear-end hardware so I opted for Moog / Blueprint OE style replicas.

I also installed new wheel hubs and bearings whilst i was at it.

This wasn't a particularly fun job cutting out the brand new rubber bushes but I'm really glad I replaced then with poly.
It really tightened up and sharpened the steering response, you just have to be careful when you sneeze!

I think i've posted about this before but I had a set of poly engine mounts made by BRD.

Does that old spring look like it's bulging to anyone? I replaced as the rear-end was sitting wonky... In face it still is as one side has a 2" gap from the wheel to wheel-arch and the other maybe 4-5". I've had the alignment done twice since them but can't figure out what's causing it. Fingered crossed the chassis isn't twisted.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This come in handy when i grenaded the engine at the track last month!

Saw this when i was working in Madrid and just had to take a photo :)

Just charging up the ECO friendly Coupe LOL

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Oh and something else that exploded for the 5th time now!

Needed a few of these after a long day working on the Coupe :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks :) It's nice looking back over the last few years and going through the photos on my phone.

You know it's been over 7 years in the making and it's great to be able to reflect on the build. I've learnt so much from this forum... When i first started working on the Coupe i didn't know how to change the oil or spark plugs (in fact i had never worked on a car prior to the Coupe) so it's been a massive learning curve getting the car in to it's current state.

Anyway... I may have got a little distracted and posted like a million photos above... On to the current matter at hand:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bearing wise I've brought these but unfortunately they don't fit! :(

I can't seem to find anyone who makes performance bearings of the Beta-II...

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Yeah 4g63 are different. Did you see my comment about G4GF bearings? Search ebay for G4GF bearings and get a hold of the seller of the ACLs I bet they can get you what you need.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Awesome build very interesting what you're doing with the transmission that's one of the main downfalls of the beta the 5 speed ,and yeah their us a way to get cal bearings I just cant remember how

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah 4g63 are different. Did you see my comment about G4GF bearings? Search ebay for G4GF bearings and get a hold of the seller of the ACLs I bet they can get you what you need.
Thanks, i've just messaged a few eBay sellers to see if they are able to source and supply the bearings.

After speaking to ACL and King Bearings directly they have both told me they only make standard bearings for the Beta-II. Apparently they don't make the tri-metal performance bearings for Hyundai's...

As you guys have used performance bearings with your builds i'm guessing they must be from a different engine? Or maybe there was a small batch run and they have been discontinued?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts