Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Enlighten me, I have a Beta 1, what the diff. from beta 2? I heard that beta one has forged pistons...? Not the best quality but still forged. BTW I have a 03' Beta 1.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
if im not mistaken 03 came with beta II's in all of them.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I'm pretty sure all 03's have Beta II's also... I think the only thing that changed on the 4 cyl engines is the fact there there is regular Beta II's and Beta II's with CVVT.

·
Banned
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I have a Beta one, the wires say beta 1 and so does something else...

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
During 2001-2002, the new Beta II engine made its debut in models such as the XD Elantra and GK Tiburon. Output is 138 hp (102 kW) at 6000 RPM with 136 foot pounds of torque (184 N·m) at 4500 RPM. It has a cast iron engine block and aluminum DOHC cylinder heads. The latest version of the 2.0L Beta engine (G4GC) features CVVT, which only in intake side, a first for Hyundai/Kia. The following changes were noted.

-Redesigned block with external contouring of cylinder bores (ilo flat sides), extra ribbing & one extra transaxle fixing point (now 5)(less NVH)

-Crankshaft now has 8 counterweights ilo 4.(NVH)

-Cast & ribbed aluminium sump pan (ilo pressed steel sheet) with stronger joint to transaxle (NVH)

-Reshaped combustion chambers, ports & pistons (performance, [fuel] economy, emissions)

-20mm longer intake rams, 8% smaller surge tank, resonator added, spark timing & valve lift optimized, lighter valve springs, denser conrod bearings, returnless fuel system (ilo return type) with higher fuel pressure & smaller injectors (torque spread & econ)

-Cylinder head machined to more precise tolerances

-Head gasket now 2-layer (ilo 3)

-Idle speed reduced to 700 rpm from 800 rpm (NVH)

-Hydraulic engine mounts (4) ilo rubber (NVH)

-Heat shield installed between engine & air filter, reducing heating of induction air (+2% output).

-New camcover with I-piece high-specific gravity polypropylene baffle (ilo 2-piece pp)

-Oil flow reduced (econ)

-Mechanical valve lash adjusters (solid lifters) replace hydraulic, improving valve clearance precision (durability).

-Lower valve spring load reduces valve train friction (perf).

-Engine cover installed (NVH & dress up engine bay)

-Catalytic converter now upstream adjoining exhaust manifold (ilo under car) (emissions)

-Other detail changes to: alternator, intake manifold brace, power steering & a/c pulleys, idle speed actuator, oil filler cap & drive plate between engine & torque converter
I guarantee that you have a Beta II, what it says on your plug wires doesn't matter as I am 99.9% sure that they are the same between the Beta and Beta II.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Well I have a Beta one, the wires say beta 1 and so does something else...
Well I guess you have a beta I then, if you were so **** sure then why did you ask? :3_confuse

I have a beta II but my wires also say Beta I...and I know I have a beta II.

·
Banned
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason I asked is to find out the difference, not to find out if I HAVE one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
not to be an *** but that means if i put Nology wires instead of the stock ones, i now have a Nology motor?? shheesshhh lil ricer of a question dont you think?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
not to be an *** but that means if i put Nology wires instead of the stock ones, i now have a Nology motor?? shheesshhh lil ricer of a question dont you think?
check it out, i got a 9mm engine

·
Registered
113 Posts
It is quite obvious, the visual differences between a Beta 1 and a Beta 2. The oil pan being the most obvious, but easier to observe is the MAF sensor on the Beta 1, or the MAP sensor on the Beta 2.
Beta 1 engines have powdered metal rods. They found that to be a little overkill, and went down a step to on rod quality in the Beta 2. Beta 1 engines had 140 hp stock, and are far superior in my opinion.

·
Registered
194 Posts
@427troy figured I'd pop in with my 2-cents.

But the RD1/RD2 never had 140hp. Hyundai was involved in a pretty big lawsuit regarding overrating their engine's hp. Hyundai says it was just a mistranslation issue. But the Beta 1 was rated at most 136hp.

The Beta 2 in the 2nd gen Tiburons (03-08) ranged from 138-141hp depending on year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts