Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that a bigger battery would help out all the electronics (stereo system, start-up, lights) in and on the car? is so, can you just switch out the old battery and stick the new one in without any adjusting?

·
Registered
164 Posts
i think u need a bigger alternator before u get a better battery

if u go with a battery go with optima yellow top

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Get an Optima Redtop. Your alternator will be fine if it's in good shape. I had the typical dimming, and other associated problems, put a retop in and I've been fine since and I'm running 2 amps. A redtop will provide you with longer use with the engine not running, and more cranking amps.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I have a yellowtop and billet tray to mount in the trunk, I am running a tiny 15lb oddessy 680 with a 27 minute reserve lol at the moment.

Are you having problems with your car starting? You may just have a bad battery. Mine always started right up with the stock battery, after 3 years it was still running strong when I pulled it a few weeks back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No i'm not having battery problems, i was just wondering if it something that i can add to my car that would improve the electronics. So whats the difference between a redtop and a yellowtop? Which one would perform better and be the better buy

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
gamingdexter said:
No i'm not having battery problems, i was just wondering if it something that i can add to my car that would improve the electronics. So whats the difference between a redtop and a yellowtop? Which one would perform better and be the better buy
Then I am not sure what problems you are having with your "electronics". If your car "electronics" are acting weird then take it to the dealership. Changing your battery just to have a optima is not really going to change anything, it just has a larger reserve capacity for when you play your stereo, etc with the engine off. It does not output a higher voltage or anything.

Go to www.optima.com if you want specs on the battery but it sounds like a waste of money unless you have an upgraded stereo system with a big amp or something that you play all the time with the engine off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
MrPhotoman said:
Then I am not sure what problems you are having with your "electronics". If your car "electronics" are acting weird then take it to the dealership. Changing your battery just to have a optima is not really going to change anything, it just has a larger reserve capacity for when you play your stereo, etc with the engine off. It does not output a higher voltage or anything.
+1 An optima will let you run MORE electronics before it poops out on you compared to a convential battery. If you are talking about dimming when using electronics then your alternator need to be checked. Optima batteries are heavy and weigh something like 30lbs try a braille lighweight battery it is about 12 lbs and lasts as long as the stocker

1 - 7 of 7 Posts