Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now the car is completely stock and I have been prepping it to put a 1200$ turbo kit I found from MMI speed shop. I have been pouring every minute of free time into research. This project is just for fun and am not even looking to push 400hp. Just wanna boost my tibby to say hey look what I did. I’m planning on running max 8psi. My only major concern right now is the ECU, I was thinking of going with the FuelTech FT450. Everything else I can handle. Any tips or new information out there would be greatly appreciated.

· Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,374 Posts
That universal kit from MMI speed shop is not a good kit. Every time someone mentions this kit they are laughed out of the room. If you can make it work that's awesome... But don't expect the turbo to last at all. A quality Turbo should cost you no less than $1200. There are a couple Wuhan war whistles on eBay that are decent quality for around $600 but you really have to research which ones are proven to work.

Unfortunately you won't be able to integrate the standalone ECU with your automatic transmission. The TCM is integrated inside of your OEM ECU and communicates over the CANBUS to determine load and vehicle speed and load data. This was the primary issue with every auto 2.0 forced induction build.

If you intend to keep the auto transmission you should contact Fuel tech to determine if they can support the Tiburon's CANBUS PIDs required by the TCM and run them side by side if you can. Otherwise your best bet is to use a piggyback for tuning so you can retain the OEM auto trans functionality.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it. I am prepared to be made fun of haha. This is my first turbo project so I’m bound to make mistakes. The MMI turbo was the only “kit” I could find. Seems best to go custom. I’ll look more into finding a good quality turbo. I don’t mind spending the money for more reliable hardware. Tbh I don’t know much about transmissions. Swapping it for a manual I’m not sure if that’s even possible.

· Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,374 Posts
You are ten years too late for a drop in plug n play kit unfortunately. The MMI hardware is an ok place to start but you will need a better turbo and better blow off valve.

If you are going cheap on the turbo, this seller is known to have better quality Wuhan war whistles. Size your turbo close to the same as the kit you have. I believe @Rushking19 bought his monster turbo from the same seller.

A manual swap is probably your best bet. You need a lot of parts from the donor car to swap though. Such as trans, shifter and linkages, gauge cluster, ECU, CV axles, master/slave cylinders, clutch pedal assembly, trans output speed sensor etc etc. You may need to modify the ECU harness slightly depending on the year of the donor car. Stick to similar years based on the ECU. SIMK41 ECUs have a completely different pinout from the SIMK43 ECUs. The difference is MAP vs MAF sensor and the cutoff manufacture date for the switch to SIMK43 is approximately mid 2003.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m not necessarily looking to “go cheap”. Although if boosting wuhan war whistle has had some success I will consider. Really I’m just unsure of two things. Finding a GOOD turbo but nothing extravagant. (Like I said I’m not looking to build the fastest Tiburon) and ecu tuning. Everything else I can handle or have friends that can help. Thanks for the manual swap information, a lot of work but doing so will also allow me to reinforce the trans with better performance rated parts as well. I believe going manual would allow me to use a standalone ecu and that is really what I’m after since it would be hell of a lot easier. So I guess my main issue at the moment would be finding a turbo that would be suitable. If I had a power goal I guess I would say pushing 200+ would easily make me happy. What size turbo would you recommend based on what we have discussed so far? Where can I find a turbo that’s not a wuhan war whistle? I have already found a turbo manifold that can be used with turbos internally wastegated w/t3 flange. Treadstone Performance Inc., Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Turbo Manifolds, Silicone Hose
Or I could have one modified if that doesnt fit. I’ve seen a couple different ways to build one so I’m not worried about it if that manifold doesn’t fit. I’m not buying the kit, I’d rather find a quality turbo and build around it.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

would this turbo be a good starting point?

· Registered
561 Posts

would this turbo be a good starting point?
As chase started the seller he listed from eBay sells pretty good knock off turbos that perform like the real things. I have a gtx3582r knock off for my v6 that I've seen people run without any issues, but that turbo is a little big for 4 cylinders but they also sell a gtx3076r which would be perfect. Or you could go with a pulsar turbo of the same size just as good and around the same price range , and you can use a Evo 8 or 9 turbo manifold on your 4 cylinder just have to modify a few of the bolt holes on the manifold. Here's the link to the turbo I was talking about though. GTX3076R Turbo Charger .63A/R Dual Ball Bearing GTX30R Billet Wheel T3 Flange | eBay

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. I suppose I’ll start with that gtx3076r and give the wuhan war whistle a shot. Currently talking with fuel tech waiting on them to get back with me after discussing if I can run it parallel with my auto trans ecu. Hopefully that checks out. If not I’m sure I’ll figure it out with a little will power and a lot of headache. I’ll keep you guys updated on progress if y’all would like.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did find a OBX turbo manifold but I’m not sure about it. I’ve seen it on these forums a few times but no one responded about it.

I will look into finding a evo 8 manifold, if you guys say the OBX will not work I will go with the evo

· Registered
561 Posts
I did find a OBX turbo manifold but I’m not sure about it. I’ve seen it on these forums a few times but no one responded about it.

I will look into finding a evo 8 manifold, if you guys say the OBX will not work I will go with the evo
To get your standalone to run with the auto transmission with the 4 cylinder you have to wire your standalone in parallel with your ecu so then you will have to cut the wires coming out your stock ecu and wire the injector wire from the standalone ecu going to the wiring in the engine bay. You will have to do that to several other sensors and also just intercept some sensors. You will also have to get dummy resistors for your coils, and injectors . So that the stock ecu doesn't go into limp mode. Also I wouldn't use an obx turbo manifold they crack easy ans warp. Just get a decent ebay or decent brand Evo 8 or 9 turbo manifolds ans modifiy the holes you only have to wallow out a few of the holes some line up fine you lay the tiburon exhaust gasket on to of the evo manifold and line the runners up and that's your guide on where to widen the hole. Here's an example

Attachments

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Evo Manifold it is! In regards to the ECU if that’s all it takes then i should be able to figure it out. I had to rewire some of the cars electronics when I first got it. The radio harness was an atrocious rats nests. The AC also didn’t work because of some bad wiring but I got that buffed out as well. I’m just nervous tbh. I really appreciate all the information and guidance.

· Registered
67 Posts
You sure you wanna go boost with these gas prices lol ?? …. I have a 07 i4 auto and i personally went the route of avoiding that MMI kit which i came across multiple times and piece my own kit especially fabricating the turbo manifold.. I’m guess you got the fuel tech ECU idea from PIBBRACING on his youtube channel?

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I mean gas is gas. Money is money. She’ll be getting high octane or E85 conversion I haven’t decided yet. Gotta pay to play. Comes with the territory. Sort of on the pibb racing. His is a manual so he can standalone. His channel does have some good reference and he will actually try to help you if you have any questions. I mentioned the manual swap to begin with but I’m gonna try sticking with the auto for now. But The fuel tech has very high reviews all around & haven’t heard anything bad from them. Haven’t seen anyone try and piggyback one though. May not work, still waiting on fuel tech to give a definitive answer.

· Registered
6 Posts
As chase started the seller he listed from eBay sells pretty good knock off turbos that perform like the real things. I have a gtx3582r knock off for my v6 that I've seen people run without any issues, but that turbo is a little big for 4 cylinders but they also sell a gtx3076r which would be perfect. Or you could go with a pulsar turbo of the same size just as good and around the same price range , and you can use a Evo 8 or 9 turbo manifold on your 4 cylinder just have to modify a few of the bolt holes on the manifold. Here's the link to the turbo I was talking about though. GTX3076R Turbo Charger .63A/R Dual Ball Bearing GTX30R Billet Wheel T3 Flange | eBay
Did you have it hooked up? Any pics
📸

· Registered
67 Posts
I mean gas is gas. Money is money. She’ll be getting high octane or E85 conversion I haven’t decided yet. Gotta pay to play. Comes with the territory. Sort of on the pibb racing. His is a manual so he can standalone. His channel does have some good reference and he will actually try to help you if you have any questions. I mentioned the manual swap to begin with but I’m gonna try sticking with the auto for now. But The fuel tech has very high reviews all around & haven’t heard anything bad from them. Haven’t seen anyone try and piggyback one though. May not work, still waiting on fuel tech to give a definitive answer.
Theirs plenty of peeps on here that have used the Aem Fic 6 for a piggyback including myself.. If you searched on here you will see that some have success with it and some don’t especially the V6.. the only problem is it likes to fight with the oem ecu and it’s discontinued ..
This is the fic6 that i installed on my tib and i even had to make my own harness extension/ boomslang so i wouldn’t have to cut or splice my oem harness..
So when you say you haven’t seen anyone piggy back one and may not worked then you haven’t really searched and done you research all that well 😉😉.. As for standalone It’s either Falcun who is a member on here uses Haltech elite 1000+ who has great success with it.

Textile Sleeve Automotive design Art Font

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks for the information. Not opposed to giving it a shot. I would much rather have some newer tech though with newer software. Also when I said I haven’t seen anyone piggyback one I was talking about the fuel techs. I’ve read probably hundreds of posts of the AEM on this forum and there’s plenty of other information out there as well.

· Registered
561 Posts
I haven't seen anyone in a tiburon piggyback a fuel tech but I'm pretty sure I've seen a few other cars do that. But best bet would be wait for an answer from them. Also I would lean to e85 it really helps keeps these motors safe by keeping everything cooler and it's way less knock resistant it's mostly helpful with the compression ratio these engines have. And I'm still working in getting the hot side redone but here's an old picture I took of it mocked on my spare engine.

Attachments

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The fueltech FAQ section does say “for street use you must keep the factory transmission ECU. Some transmission controllers are built into the factory engine ECU, installing the FuelTech ECU parallel to the OEM this is the way to use a FuelTech ECU with your computer controlled automatic transmission without needing an external controller” but I’m still waiting on their reply. So In theory I guess yes it should work but in reality with our ECU wont know until it’s tried and true. Also in contact with Haltec whom seem to be much more responding to inquiries. Want to explore many options before committing. If all else fails I’ll try and find a used AEM FIC and go that route but no tech support other than this forum so going modern would be preferred.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts