Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
600 Posts

would this turbo be a good starting point?
As chase started the seller he listed from eBay sells pretty good knock off turbos that perform like the real things. I have a gtx3582r knock off for my v6 that I've seen people run without any issues, but that turbo is a little big for 4 cylinders but they also sell a gtx3076r which would be perfect. Or you could go with a pulsar turbo of the same size just as good and around the same price range , and you can use a Evo 8 or 9 turbo manifold on your 4 cylinder just have to modify a few of the bolt holes on the manifold. Here's the link to the turbo I was talking about though. GTX3076R Turbo Charger .63A/R Dual Ball Bearing GTX30R Billet Wheel T3 Flange | eBay

· Registered
600 Posts
I did find a OBX turbo manifold but I’m not sure about it. I’ve seen it on these forums a few times but no one responded about it.

I will look into finding a evo 8 manifold, if you guys say the OBX will not work I will go with the evo
To get your standalone to run with the auto transmission with the 4 cylinder you have to wire your standalone in parallel with your ecu so then you will have to cut the wires coming out your stock ecu and wire the injector wire from the standalone ecu going to the wiring in the engine bay. You will have to do that to several other sensors and also just intercept some sensors. You will also have to get dummy resistors for your coils, and injectors . So that the stock ecu doesn't go into limp mode. Also I wouldn't use an obx turbo manifold they crack easy ans warp. Just get a decent ebay or decent brand Evo 8 or 9 turbo manifolds ans modifiy the holes you only have to wallow out a few of the holes some line up fine you lay the tiburon exhaust gasket on to of the evo manifold and line the runners up and that's your guide on where to widen the hole. Here's an example

Attachments

· Registered
600 Posts
I mean gas is gas. Money is money. She’ll be getting high octane or E85 conversion I haven’t decided yet. Gotta pay to play. Comes with the territory. Sort of on the pibb racing. His is a manual so he can standalone. His channel does have some good reference and he will actually try to help you if you have any questions. I mentioned the manual swap to begin with but I’m gonna try sticking with the auto for now. But The fuel tech has very high reviews all around & haven’t heard anything bad from them. Haven’t seen anyone try and piggyback one though. May not work, still waiting on fuel tech to give a definitive answer.
I haven't seen anyone in a tiburon piggyback a fuel tech but I'm pretty sure I've seen a few other cars do that. But best bet would be wait for an answer from them. Also I would lean to e85 it really helps keeps these motors safe by keeping everything cooler and it's way less knock resistant it's mostly helpful with the compression ratio these engines have. And I'm still working in getting the hot side redone but here's an old picture I took of it mocked on my spare engine.

Attachments

· Registered
600 Posts
The fueltech FAQ section does say “for street use you must keep the factory transmission ECU. Some transmission controllers are built into the factory engine ECU, installing the FuelTech ECU parallel to the OEM this is the way to use a FuelTech ECU with your computer controlled automatic transmission without needing an external controller” but I’m still waiting on their reply. So In theory I guess yes it should work but in reality with our ECU wont know until it’s tried and true. Also in contact with Haltec whom seem to be much more responding to inquiries. Want to explore many options before committing. If all else fails I’ll try and find a used AEM FIC and go that route but no tech support other than this forum so going modern would be preferred.
I don't see reason why it wouldn't work in parallel the fueltech will work fine the hardest part would be to satisfy the stock ecus requirements, if this was the v6 you wouldn't really have this issue since the tcu is separate from the ecu. But I've seen them piggybacked before on the v6 and if the fic6 works on the i4 the fuel tech should be able to work if set up correctly also.

· Registered
600 Posts
Boomslang will not help fab a harness for the i4 unfortunately so custom wiring job it is.
Yeah custom is the best way to go since you have an i4 boomslang only makes the v6 harness most likely because it shares connectors with bmw siemens connectors so it's an easier connector to find vs the i4 which is different . The v6 tcu actually can control the transmission without the ecu for the engine only thing I heard is it will try to shift the at too high of a rpm . But for yours you will just have to find out the resistance of the coils and the the injectors so you can wire in resistors to fool the ecu into thinking the injectors and coils are still there so it won't throw an open injector code and put the transmission in limp mode which is 3rd gear .

· Registered
600 Posts
I see. Got plenty of time to research and try and figure it out. Best thing I can do waiting on parts to come in is go ahead and wire up the Haltech and figure it out on the stock motor. There will be More variables once the turbo and new coils/inj is installed but if I can get it working while its stock I’ll have a better understanding of what needs to be tweaked and what not
You can use stock ignition coils , but if course yiu will need bigger injectors, and fuel pump, and a 1:1 fuel pressure regulator, and more but stock motor is fine for boost stock motor can make over 400whp on stock long block, buts past 300 ish whp e85 is needed to keep the motor safe.

· Registered
600 Posts
Yessir I got all those things already coming, I’ve already ordered about 40% of all the parts needed. Tax return is gonna be almost 10gs so will order the rest when that hits. Haltech has their harnesses on back order so I have to wait 6-8 weeks for them to ship it. Then I can start wiring it up and seeing how nicely it’s gonna play with the ECU
Thats awesome I can't wait to see

· Registered
600 Posts
thank you sir! I’ll post here when I order the one I decide. Noticed this one doesn’t come with the gasket anyway.
I'd try this out it's a FP turbo cast manifold. You will have to use an evo style turbine housing though for it to work . So either get a stock Evo turbo or if you want more power get one of the upgraded turbos they sell for those . Here's a link to the manifold I was talking about. FP EVO 4-9 Race Manifold

· Registered
600 Posts
I was actually about to order this turbo we had discussed previously, but if u think this route would be better then I might wait.

They sell adapters to put a t3 turbo on a Evo turbo manifold. So you could still use that turbo. Or even get an evo gtx3076r turbine housing. But the adapter is more affordable.
DSM EVO 6/7/8/9 Header Manifold to T3 Turbocharger Flange Adapter Fit Mitsubishi | eBay

· Registered
600 Posts
looks like I will need the adapter for either one. The FP is out of stock of uncoated manifolds and the coated ones are 125$ more. Not a big deal but leaning towards CA
Yeah any turbo manifold with the evo turbo bolt pattern you will need an adapter for t3 unless you find an evo turbo manifold that is already T3 bit isn't too cheaply made also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts