Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
The fueltech FAQ section does say “for street use you must keep the factory transmission ECU. Some transmission controllers are built into the factory engine ECU, installing the FuelTech ECU parallel to the OEM this is the way to use a FuelTech ECU with your computer controlled automatic transmission without needing an external controller” but I’m still waiting on their reply. So In theory I guess yes it should work but in reality with our ECU wont know until it’s tried and true. Also in contact with Haltec whom seem to be much more responding to inquiries. Want to explore many options before committing. If all else fails I’ll try and find a used AEM FIC and go that route but no tech support other than this forum so going modern would be preferred.
I don't see reason why it wouldn't work in parallel the fueltech will work fine the hardest part would be to satisfy the stock ecus requirements, if this was the v6 you wouldn't really have this issue since the tcu is separate from the ecu. But I've seen them piggybacked before on the v6 and if the fic6 works on the i4 the fuel tech should be able to work if set up correctly also.

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,368 Posts
@Rushking19 is right. In theory it will work but because the TCM is integrated inside of the ECM they communicate over the CANBUS internally it may add a significant challenge. I've seen entire cars get parted out because their tuners couldn't figure out the TCM communication on an auto 2.0.

Inside of the auto 2.0 ECM there are two processors and two memory chips. One half controls the TCM and the other half controls the ECM. If the ECM isn't operating or seeing wheel speed and load conditions it won't be reporting data to the TCM half that decides your shift points. Here is an example of a SIMK43 ECM from a Tucson which is nearly identical to a Tiburon. Green side is the TCM and the red side is the ECM.

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Microcontroller Computer hardware

To run a standalone in parallel or "piggybacked" you will need to intercept some signals such as ignition and fuel, and tap other signals such as crank or cam position signals. Each standalone is different so perhaps fueltech can provide more info on what they're capable of on a system like this.

This is a longshot and needs to be researched first... But I have yet to see an earlier SIMK41 MAP based ECM with an integrated TCM. I believe the early 2002-2003 manufactured cars had a separate TCM. Do some research and see if you can find out if the TCM was a separate device on the earlier cars. Be warned though, to swap a SIMK43 car to a SIMK41 you need to repin the whole ECM harness. The pinouts are not the same.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
My ECU is infact a SIMK43. Swapping ECU for one with two separate ecu/TCM sounds like it would pretty much allow me to go standalone yeah? In theory of course if we find out they were in fact two separate devices on older models. Fueltech support still has not responded however Haltech has. They pretty much said the best thing I could do for my application is to custom wire their Elite 1500 and try using their premium harness. They also told me to give Boomslang a shout and see if they can fab me an i4 patch harness instead of their premium harness because I wouldn’t use 80% of it. Tons of time to get everything sorted. If Fueltech doesn’t respond soon I’m just gonna go ahead and go with Haltech. It is way more expensive however I am really digging their support so far. I’m considering going ahead and buying the Haltech and installing it on the car stock just to see if playing nicely. But I do indeed love a challenge so I’m gonna give it hell! If everything goes south well Manuel swap/buying a Manuel but I’m fairly confident we can make it work

·
Registered
561 Posts
Boomslang will not help fab a harness for the i4 unfortunately so custom wiring job it is.
Yeah custom is the best way to go since you have an i4 boomslang only makes the v6 harness most likely because it shares connectors with bmw siemens connectors so it's an easier connector to find vs the i4 which is different . The v6 tcu actually can control the transmission without the ecu for the engine only thing I heard is it will try to shift the at too high of a rpm . But for yours you will just have to find out the resistance of the coils and the the injectors so you can wire in resistors to fool the ecu into thinking the injectors and coils are still there so it won't throw an open injector code and put the transmission in limp mode which is 3rd gear .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I see. Got plenty of time to research and try and figure it out. Best thing I can do waiting on parts to come in is go ahead and wire up the Haltech and figure it out on the stock motor. There will be More variables once the turbo and new coils/inj is installed but if I can get it working while its stock I’ll have a better understanding of what needs to be tweaked and what not

·
Registered
561 Posts
I see. Got plenty of time to research and try and figure it out. Best thing I can do waiting on parts to come in is go ahead and wire up the Haltech and figure it out on the stock motor. There will be More variables once the turbo and new coils/inj is installed but if I can get it working while its stock I’ll have a better understanding of what needs to be tweaked and what not
You can use stock ignition coils , but if course yiu will need bigger injectors, and fuel pump, and a 1:1 fuel pressure regulator, and more but stock motor is fine for boost stock motor can make over 400whp on stock long block, buts past 300 ish whp e85 is needed to keep the motor safe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yessir I got all those things already coming, I’ve already ordered about 40% of all the parts needed. Tax return is gonna be almost 10gs so will order the rest when that hits. Haltech has their harnesses on back order so I have to wait 6-8 weeks for them to ship it. Then I can start wiring it up and seeing how nicely it’s gonna play with the ECU

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yessir I got all those things already coming, I’ve already ordered about 40% of all the parts needed. Tax return is gonna be almost 10gs so will order the rest when that hits. Haltech has their harnesses on back order so I have to wait 6-8 weeks for them to ship it. Then I can start wiring it up and seeing how nicely it’s gonna play with the ECU
Thats awesome I can't wait to see

·
Registered
8 Posts
The fueltech FAQ section does say “for street use you must keep the factory transmission ECU. Some transmission controllers are built into the factory engine ECU, installing the FuelTech ECU parallel to the OEM this is the way to use a FuelTech ECU with your computer controlled automatic transmission without needing an external controller” but I’m still waiting on their reply. So In theory I guess yes it should work but in reality with our ECU wont know until it’s tried and true. Also in contact with Haltec whom seem to be much more responding to inquiries. Want to explore many options before committing. If all else fails I’ll try and find a used AEM FIC and go that route but no tech support other than this forum so going modern would be preferred.
Anything new with the Fueltech ECU

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Fuelte
Anything new with the Fueltech E
Anything new with the Fueltech ECU
Fueltech just said “run it parallel”. pretty much just going to have to trial and error.. I had some very serious series of unfortunate events happen that prevented me from going further. Went to jail for awhile 😑.. not going to get into it as it’s irrelevant but im back now. Unfortunately all the parts I ordered were practically donated by a old friend that’s not so much a friend anymore so I’m basically starting from scratch again. Car still in decent shape, replaced valve cover gasket today. Everything else appears to be fine. Does seem to be rough idle afterwards, most likely rolled the gasket or tighten throttle cable too tight. Could even be tps. Either way will get that sorted. First order of business is to order a evo manifold. Here’s the link for the one I will be purchasing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Fuelte

Fueltech just said “run it parallel”. pretty much just going to have to trial and error.. I had some very serious series of unfortunate events happen that prevented me from going further. Went to jail for awhile 😑.. not going to get into it as it’s irrelevant but im back now. Unfortunately all the parts I ordered were practically donated by a old friend that’s not so much a friend anymore so I’m basically starting from scratch again. Car still in decent shape, replaced valve cover gasket today. Everything else appears to be fine. Does seem to be rough idle afterwards, most likely rolled the gasket or tighten throttle cable too tight. Could even be tps. Either way will get that sorted. First order of business is to order a evo manifold. Here’s the link for the one I will be purchasing.

actually that’s the wrong flange :x. I don’t wanna buy some cheap manifold tho. Don’t have access to a welding machine to fab one.

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,368 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
thank you sir! I’ll post here when I order the one I decide. Noticed this one doesn’t come with the gasket anyway.
I'd try this out it's a FP turbo cast manifold. You will have to use an evo style turbine housing though for it to work . So either get a stock Evo turbo or if you want more power get one of the upgraded turbos they sell for those . Here's a link to the manifold I was talking about. FP EVO 4-9 Race Manifold

·
Administrator
9,543 Posts
Since my last post there have been some developments with other I4 builders and we've found ECU sockets with connectors you can use to build your own "boomslang" harness. For example:

Good luck!
Reading the linked page is a hoot.
Confusing to me, sorta looks like a set of connectors, but down below looks like individual parts that you need to choose.
Also the order time and shipping is suspect to me.

If orders have been done and it all worked out, fantastic.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Reading the linked page is a hoot.
Confusing to me, sorta looks like a set of connectors, but down below looks like individual parts that you need to choose.
Also the order time and shipping is suspect to me.

If orders have been done and it all worked out, fantastic.
That's par for the course for aliexpress, I don't think I've ever ordered something from there & had it arrive within a month. You're usually buying straight from china sellers, which explains the weird spelling & long wait times. But they usually have very specialty items that aren't readily available anywhere else, which is where the appeal is for me.

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,368 Posts
Yeah AliExpress is pretty bad. Think of it more like an eBay with worse translators lol... I only linked that as an example of a complete looking parts kit. The 121 pin socket is actually pretty common in the automotive world and used on many German vehicles. You can buy those same parts using the numbers they list in their keywords from other vendors. Here is the manufacturer site of the same parts (excluding the crimp on pins)

21 - 40 of 47 Posts