Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere that all your boost fun is ruined by cvvt on 2004 plus I4 tibbys is this true? im thinking of getting myself a cheap i4 tibby so i can put like 12 psi on it? but i want to know what is up with cvvt and boost?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I read somewhere that all your boost fun is ruined by cvvt on 2004 plus I4 tibbys is this true? im thinking of getting myself a cheap i4 tibby so i can put like 12 psi on it? but i want to know what is up with cvvt and boost?
I have an 04 elantra with cvvt, have been boosting 15-16psi no problem...

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
werent the 05+ tibs cvvt?

i thought that 03/04's werent

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so i can get an i4 tiburon and boost it? 14 psi nets u about what hp

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i have to do that either way, my tiburon is illegally modded as it is now, i gutted/polished the stock headers remember?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
but is a s/c as much fun as a turbo ive only been in a turbo car does a s/c pull as hard?

·
Registered
477 Posts
but is a s/c as much fun as a turbo ive only been in a turbo car does a s/c pull as hard?
It all depends on how much power you want

mine is Alpine stage I, 220 whp untuned and I beat 350Z/G35 with my setup

I dunno if that's fast for you but to me it's quick enough

but remember I'm only pushing 4 lb but you can pull smaller pulley and push 8 lb or more (with right fuel management)

on Alpine (root type) you get power as soon as you push the gas pedal but on turbos, there is turbo lag

i wish that helps

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
sounds good to me, but doesnt a turbo provide more torque than a s/c?

·
Former Staff
5,452 Posts
Supercharger boost comes on earlier, so there is more low and mid-range boost. A dyno of a Supercharger would be almost a straight line from the lowest HP number to the highest. A turbo dyno would show a line curving upwards. Here's an over-simplification of what I'm talking about.

That being said, it's probably easier, in the long run, to get BIG hp numbers with a turbo than with a S/C. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If I'd known how solid the 2.0 platform was, I would have gotten an i-4 Tiburon instead of a V6

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol i agree alien, my thoughts exactly on the 2.0

·
Banned
2,706 Posts
This is sooo wrong...

Its not even funny, you sc line is quite right, but not the turbo one...
Assuming that the s/c is a roots style blower. Vortech would be more similiar to a turbo.

Anyways Alien the turbo would produce less hp than the S/C in the lower rpms and more in the higher rpms because its more efficient than the s/c, but takes time to spool.

Wheres the s/c is powered by the belt which is why the power curve is nice and straight, however its more inefficent than the turbo because its using the engine to power it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
i think turbo is funner... "fun" is based on perception, so each to his own.
to me, a slight lag and then a surge of power is funner than just power on tap. s/c's are great, but I don't like the whine compared to all the amazing noises taht a turbo makes... compressor surge, boost, blow-off... it's awesome.
and turbo lag depends on teh size of the turbo... with a smaller turbo, you may experience very little to an imperceptible amount of lag. As you get bigger turbos that only boost at 3700+rpm, then you get a relatively slow climb to 3500, and then an insane surge of power (and sound) to redline...
watch kdmguys dyno, it's insane... When driving, a set-up like that hits redline quicker than you can shift... once you hit boost, it shoots to redline, and actually bouncing off the redline a couple times is a good technique to stay in boost for the next gear. but that's with BIG turbos... he's pushing 450whp... out of a 2.0.

After seeing what the betas can handle, and the turbo kits from SFR I'm convinced on trading my car for a 07 beta tib.

·
Banned
254 Posts
i think turbo is funner... "fun" is based on perception, so each to his own.
to me, a slight lag and then a surge of power is funner than just power on tap. s/c's are great, but I don't like the whine compared to all the amazing noises taht a turbo makes... compressor surge, boost, blow-off... it's awesome.
and turbo lag depends on teh size of the turbo... with a smaller turbo, you may experience very little to an imperceptible amount of lag. As you get bigger turbos that only boost at 3700+rpm, then you get a relatively slow climb to 3500, and then an insane surge of power (and sound) to redline...
watch kdmguys dyno, it's insane... When driving, a set-up like that hits redline quicker than you can shift... once you hit boost, it shoots to redline, and actually bouncing off the redline a couple times is a good technique to stay in boost for the next gear. but that's with BIG turbos... he's pushing 450whp... out of a 2.0.

After seeing what the betas can handle, and the turbo kits from SFR I'm convinced on trading my car for a 07 beta tib.

So basically if you lost to a s/c car you'd just roll down your window and be like "yeah dude but I had more fun losing to you than you did beating me so I'm the REAL winner here".......

An s/c whine can be just as exilerating as a turbo spool and blow off. Performance is the only real concern for this subject and for 4cylinders, turbo's just make more sense.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.