Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, (2004 Kia Spectra 2.0)

So I've been reading all the old post and doing all the research I can about my little Kia Spectra for the past 2 years. Recently I've been feeling the itch for a MORE POWER BABY! Lol. So basically I'm ready for the next step in my journey of learning, I want to boost it, I plan to buy a standalone while the motor is na and either learn how to tune it find someone willing to tune a Kia Spectra lmao. Then rebuild the motor and get all the supporting mods I need to make reliable power and after that I should be ready for boost.
Anyway my question is, would anybody be able to share some knowledge with me on what parts tend to go out at what power level, say stock injectors around 180whp, that type of stuff Also any tips for tuning or know a guy I'm in the inland empire and I really don't want to tune it myself. I'm shooting for 200- 250 HP first but if it's not to hard considering I'm in a Kia Spectra I would love to be at 350-400whp when I'm "done".
I know this will be a long process and a lot of work but I'm ready, how will we learn if we don't brake ****. Please help and thank you in advance.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hello everyone, (2004 Kia Spectra 2.0)

So I've been reading all the old post and doing all the research I can about my little Kia Spectra for the past 2 years. Recently I've been feeling the itch for a MORE POWER BABY! Lol. So basically I'm ready for the next step in my journey of learning, I want to boost it, I plan to buy a standalone while the motor is na and either learn how to tune it find someone willing to tune a Kia Spectra lmao. Then rebuild the motor and get all the supporting mods I need to make reliable power and after that I should be ready for boost.
Anyway my question is, would anybody be able to share some knowledge with me on what parts tend to go out at what power level, say stock injectors around 180whp, that type of stuff Also any tips for tuning or know a guy I'm in the inland empire and I really don't want to tune it myself. I'm shooting for 200- 250 HP first but if it's not to hard considering I'm in a Kia Spectra I would love to be at 350-400whp when I'm "done".
I know this will be a long process and a lot of work but I'm ready, how will we learn if we don't brake ****. Please help and thank you in advance.
Stock beta engine can handle 400whp on e85 if you get a good tune might need headstuds but some got away with stock ones. Also with a good standalone anyone who knows that standalone well can tune the car . At that point it doesn't matter what car it is . People who tune cars just see how an engine responds to fuel and timing and fine tune the engine based off that and watch for knock. Like i have a megasquirt ms2 in my v6 tiburon and already a local tuner already agreed to tune it just because it had an ecu he knows well. Just make sure you go with someone who knows how to tune well that tunes several platforms/ ecus or just go to your local tuner and see what ecu they would want to work with.

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,068 Posts
There isn't much of a cookie cutter list available to give you "staged" power levels. The unfortunate truth is we see a lot of dreamers pop in with a question like yours just to disappear without a trace a few days later. Statistically you won't turbo your car and any effort we put into helping you will go wasted. I would recommend searching for 2.0 turbo builds from other members on here with around 400WHP to base your build off of. Start with finding a turbo exhaust manifold (the hardest part to find) and a standalone ECU to suit your needs, then if you get that far we'll be more inclined to answer more specific questions you can't find already answered somewhere in the 20 years of archives on this forum.

I'll give you this little nugget of info to start with:

You will need 500-550cc injectors to stay within about 85% duty cycle and reach 450BHP at the crank. That is approximately 400-425WHP at the wheels.

Go find yourself a turbo manifold and update us on your findings!

Reactions: TheSpectraMenace

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stock beta engine can handle 400whp on e85 if you get a good tune might need headstuds but some got away with stock ones. Also with a good standalone anyone who knows that standalone well can tune the car . At that point it doesn't matter what car it is . People who tune cars just see how an engine responds to fuel and timing and fine tune the engine based off that and watch for knock. Like i have a megasquirt ms2 in my v6 tiburon and already a local tuner already agreed to tune it just because it had an ecu he knows well. Just make sure you go with someone who knows how to tune well that tunes several platforms/ ecus or just go to your local tuner and see what ecu they would want to work with.
There isn't much of a cookie cutter list available to give you "staged" power levels. The unfortunate truth is we see a lot of dreamers pop in with a question like yours just to disappear without a trace a few days later. Statistically you won't turbo your car and any effort we put into helping you will go wasted. I would recommend searching for 2.0 turbo builds from other members on here with around 400WHP to base your build off of. Start with finding a turbo exhaust manifold (the hardest part to find) and a standalone ECU to suit your needs, then if you get that far we'll be more inclined to answer more specific questions you can't find already answered somewhere in the 20 years of archives on this forum.

I'll give you this little nugget of info to start with:

You will need 500-550cc injectors to stay within about 85% duty cycle and reach 450BHP at the crank. That is approximately 400-425WHP at the wheels.

Go find yourself a turbo manifold and update us on your findings!
Thank you guys for the input, I will be buying parts soon and I'll keep everyone posted. A project like this has been on my mind for years, I'm fairly certain I will be sticking around. The most discouraging part about these cars is the lack of aftermarket support but its alright, it forces you to be unique. :)

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,068 Posts
Pro tip. Do NOT buy that garbage MMISpeedShop kit. It's the #1 result in Google and I know you've already found it in your research and/or contemplated buying it. The only parts from that kit that are useable are the manifold and maybe the intercooler. All the rest is junk including the turbo.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Thank you guys for the input, I will be buying parts soon and I'll keep everyone posted. A project like this has been on my mind for years, I'm fairly certain I will be sticking around. The most discouraging part about these cars is the lack of aftermarket support but its alright, it forces you to be unique. :)
Best way to go is to use an evo 8 or evo 9 . It doesn't exactly bolt up right away because you will have to widen some of bolt holes and some of the bolt holes line up. What you do is use a beta exhaust gasket and lay it over the evo 8/9 turbo manifold line the runners up and you will see the bolt holes that need fixing. The rest you can piece together.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pro tip. Do NOT buy that garbage MMISpeedShop kit. It's the #1 result in Google and I know you've already found it in your research and/or contemplated buying it. The only parts from that kit that are useable are the manifold and maybe the intercooler. All the rest is junk including the turbo.
Lmao! I did contemplate buying that, thanks for the heads up. I'll try to stick with the good quality stuff as much as possible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Best way to go is to use an evo 8 or evo 9 . It doesn't exactly bolt up right away because you will have to widen some of bolt holes and some of the bolt holes line up. What you do is use a beta exhaust gasket and lay it over the evo 8/9 turbo manifold line the runners up and you will see the bolt holes that need fixing. The rest you can piece together.
Ah man that's so cool! Was it any difficult to drill out those holes or is it pretty straightforward?

·
Registered
2003 Tiburon 2.0L 5-Speed
34 Posts
+1 on the Evo route. That's the direction I was going when contemplating turbo, but was going to use an Eclipse GST/X cast iron manifold. Stuff like exhaust and intercooler piping will be custom of course, but you're in that boat already on this platform. Probably consider a turbo rebuild though as used Evo parts are up there in miles now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
+1 on the Evo route. That's the direction I was going when contemplating turbo, but was going to use an Eclipse GST/X cast iron manifold. Stuff like exhaust and intercooler piping will be custom of course, but you're in that boat already on this platform. Probably consider a turbo rebuild though as used Evo parts are up there in miles now.
I think a buddy of mine is sell all his old evo stuff, I'll see if he has anything I can use. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,068 Posts
The Evo manifolds are cast iron. Should be easy to drill new holes or Dremel to stretch holes that are real close already.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Also after for the intercooler piping is best to use part of an cold air intake as soon of the intercooler piping but plug the pcv vent on it . Also it's best to use a same side intercooler. Here's qn example from a 2.0 turbo 08 with an evo manifold and a picture from my v6 with the same intercooler and how the piping runs

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow this is sounding more and more doable, y'all are so awesome thanks for helping! Good idea with the intake, I was also looking at some 2.25 inch piping, that should be a perfect size right?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Wow this is sounding more and more doable, y'all are so awesome thanks for helping! Good idea with the intake, I was also looking at some 2.25 inch piping, that should be a perfect size right?
Yeah that would be a good size or 2.5 inch I think is how big the ebay Cai piping is which is perfect since the intercooler I showed was 2.5 inch on the outlet and depending the turbo you get it will be probably close to that size also. Here's the link to the same one I have and that's posted in the picture it's a cxracing intercooler it's pretty big and it can support good power. CXRacing FRONT MOUNT Intercooler 25.5x11.25x3 same side For Optima Nissan | eBay

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah that would be a good size or 2.5 inch I think is how big the ebay Cai piping is which is perfect since the intercooler I showed was 2.5 inch on the outlet and depending the turbo you get it will be probably close to that size also. Here's the link to the same one I have and that's posted in the picture it's a cxracing intercooler it's pretty big and it can support good power. CXRacing FRONT MOUNT Intercooler 25.5x11.25x3 same side For Optima Nissan | eBay
Sweet thanks! I will keep everyone updated on the progress.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've done the Evo build myself about 5 years ago, and it's still going strong. Using the Evo X injectors, which I believe are 550cc. As of last dyno a couple of years ago I'm making 267 at the wheels.

If you want to do the Evo setup, join a Mitsubishi forum and see if anyone has their stock stuff laying around after upgrading to aftermarket stuff.

Good idea to use a standalone from the beginning. I did a piggyback first, and had a lot of annoying problems with it. Then upgraded to a Haltech and it's been much better.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’m about to turbo a 99 Elantra with the Beta 1 myself. My parts list so far are-

MMI manifold, I had it on another low boost build for several months and it was fine. I did get some additional tabs welded on the runners to the flange to support it better. Haven't seen any cracking but I’d think the evo option is the better route but up to u.

2 bolt tial wastegate with a 5 psi spring.
Custom 3” dump pipe with wastegate routed into the dump pipe.
Kinugawa TD05H- 16G turbo (oil cooled only)
Walbro 255
Aerflow FPR
650cc Bosch injectors. Beta 1 injectors are different than beta 2.
Same side intercooler.
Universal piping kit plus extra couplers.

Other bits and pieces like bov, custom Intake, aem wide band, boost gauge, various vacuum lines and hoses.

I was looking at running a haltech elite 550 running in conjunction with the stock ecu. This will be a job for the mechanics as I’m not doing it 😂

I recently installed a exedy HD stage 1 clutch. Hopefully it can hold about 8-10 psi. Will find out later on I guess.

I’ll start the install in about a month. So much time spent just waiting on parts to arrive 😬

Also whatever u think you’ll spend on the build. Probably times that by 2 as it adds up fast.
My full 2.5” exhaust with vibrant muffler etc cost me $1400aud. I only paid $1250 for the car 😂

1 - 18 of 18 Posts